Teresa or Theresa

See the results of this poll: Which spelling should I use?

Respondents: 7 (This poll is closed)

• Teresa: 1 (14%)
  • Theresa: 6 (86%)

I voted for [name]Theresa[/name] with an “h”. I’ve always prefered this spelling which is pronounced “ter-EE-sah” although with some accents, the “s” is often pronounced as a “z”. [name]Teresa[/name] is the Italian/Spanish version of the name and is usually pronounced “tey-[name]RAY[/name]-sah”. It’s lovely that you’re honouring Mother [name]Teresa[/name] and I don’t think it matters if you use the “h”. I like the jaunty feel of [name]Theresa[/name] [name]May[/name]. [name]Theresa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] doesn’t flow as well (It may be the two "r"s). [name]Do[/name] you like the nickname [name]Tess[/name]? [name]Tess[/name] [name]Tyson[/name]? Here are some other middle names you can consider.
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

Yes I love [name]Tess[/name]. [name]Tess[/name] [name]Tyson[/name] may not sound the best though???

DH doesn’t like [name]Ruth[/name] anyway so he’ll be relieved by the negative feedback. [name]Clare[/name] is my oldest daughter’s name so that’s not an option for a mn. I like [name]Grace[/name] almost too much. I might want to save it for a future daughter’s first name. That’s actually an issue with [name]May[/name] as well because we’ve considered using it as a nickname for [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Bryn[/name] is a favorite but we stick to saint names so it’s out. [name]Pearl[/name] (not a saint, but Biblical) and [name]Jane[/name] are possibilities.

teresa seems more streamlined to me. but im not a fan of teresa anyway. not sure if that one is ready for a comeback yet. however i [name]LOVE[/name] [name]TESS[/name]!!! tess is my dd1 name so i might be biased :slight_smile: tess is alot more modern than teresa. tess tyson sounds fine to me. i think it actually sounds better than teresa tyson. would you be calling teresa nn tess?

Yes we would most likely call her [name]Tess[/name]. My other kids have 1-syllable names or nicknames so I’d like to keep that pattern. For us [name]Teresa[/name] is one of those timeless classics.

great choice for you then! im excited about another tess in the world! it seems ive been seeing alot more posts about name tess recently than when i started looking at forums. glad its catching on. im not worried about it becoming too popular, i just think its underused.

My name is [name]Theresa[/name] (w/ an H obviously).
My mom always told me she named me after [name]Saint[/name] [name]Teresa[/name] and Mother [name]Teresa[/name]. She apparently didn’t think spelling was important - lol

I am biased, but I like the H. If you prefer to use the same spelling as Mother [name]Teresa[/name] (who took her name from one of the the St. [name]Teresa[/name]'s) then go w/ the non-H version.

I also agree with another poster. I say my name Ter-ee-sah and [name]Teresa[/name]'s I’ve met tend to pron. it te-ray-sah.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Theresa[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] – I know [name]Agnes[/name] is kinda frumpy, but it was Mother [name]Teresa[/name]'s real name. Actually, that is kinda hard to say.

I actually have considered [name]Theresa[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] for the same reason but dh would need a little more convincing of [name]Agnes[/name]. I actually just looked it up and Mother [name]Teresa[/name] actually took in her name in honor of St. [name]Therese[/name] of Lisieux (the [name]Little[/name] [name]Flower[/name]) which adds weight to the argument that spelling doesn’t matter as much as I’m thinking it does. I’m leaning against [name]Agnes[/name] because with our last name [name]Tyson[/name] I don’t think I should add any more "s"s to the name. Also my first 3 children have one-syllable first names and my fourth has a one-syllable middle name so I would sort of like to give a future [name]Teresa[/name] a one-syllable middle.