Terrible idea to name after a friend?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are strongly considering naming our future son after a very close friend whom we’ve known for five years. His name is fairly distinctive (we’ve never met anyone else with the name) and doesn’t have any nicknames or variants. Think [name_m]Milo[/name_m] or [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. His name would be our son’s middle name. The friend is in his 20’s.

Is it a terrible idea to name our son after a friend? I don’t usually hear of this happening unless the honor name is a family name.

1 Like

I think it’s a really sweet idea, and I don’t see anything wrong with it. [name_f]My[/name_f] coworker named her daughter after her best friend a few years ago, and it was really sweet.

I’m not sure about this. It’s a bit like getting a tattoo of someone’s name (but even more permanent). Maybe I am just overly pessimistic about friendships but I personally wouldn’t do this, even with my closest friend that I’ve known virtually all my life.

If it’s just the middle name then I think it’s fine!

I agree with @floatinthesky 's tattoo comparison. It would be different if the friend passed away or something (G-d forbid) and the name and person live in posterity. In this case it would be taking a chance on a young person whose relationship you hope will last and be strong forever… but there are no promises.

However - if you’re using it because you love the name, and you happen to love the person too, then I say do it. Your friend happens to have a great name, and you’re using it because you love it. Small difference, but big deal.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother’s middle name is after my dad’s best friend. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad and his friend had been friends since elementary school and they are still best friends to this day. So by the time naming kids rolled around they had known each other for a while. I think it’s a sweet idea, especially if that person means a lot to you and your husband.

1 Like

I dont think it’s a bad idea at all - friends are just as important as family

1 Like

Actually I have always had that same idea! Friends are a type of family, just not related by blood. In my user card, which I just changed so sorry you can’t see this anymore, I had the names of my best friends as well as my sister and parents as honors.

I tink you should definitely go for it!!!