Tess as a nn... help?

What names could [name]Tess[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name]/[name]Tessie[/name] be a nn for besides [name]Theresa[/name]? [name]Love[/name] the nn, but not sold on [name]Theresa[/name].

Well, I couldn’t think of one and from the lack of responses I’m guessing no on else could either! I think [name]Tessa[/name] could stand alone, actually, but I like [name]Theresa[/name] and think it’s one of those names that your child will grow to like because her generation will re-discover it. You could do [name]Therese[/name] (teh-[name]REZ[/name]) if that appeals.

[name]Thessaly[/name]? I don’t know. I agree with pp that [name]Tessa[/name] could stand alone - it’s a lovely name.

I actually kind of like [name]Theresa[/name], but I think [name]Tessa[/name] would work fine as a first name. I actually know a [name]Tess[/name] who was born [name]Tess[/name], not [name]Theresa[/name]. I actually had no idea [name]Tess[/name] was a nickname for [name]Theresa[/name] til like a year ago.

I know a Thesnelda (or maybe it was spelled Thusnelda? Either way, it was pronounced ‘[name]Tess[/name]-nelda’) that went by [name]Tess[/name].

I love [name]Tess[/name] on its own. I think it’s strong enough to stand as a full name. [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Theresa[/name] are really nice too. I’d stick with one of those to get to [name]Tess[/name], personally. Can’t go wrong with any of them!

My dds name is [name]Tess[/name]…just [name]Tess[/name] not short for anything.her name suites her and she really loves her name…we call her [name]Tess[/name] or [name]Tessi[/name] most of the time and occasionally [name]Tessa[/name]…

The only name that I could think of was Contessa. Btw, I love [name]Tessa[/name] on its own! Super sweet! Good luck!

[name]Tess[/name] is a great nickname. For a full name…

[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Tracy[/name]

Holey had some wonderful suggestions.

I love [name]Tess[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name], but only as nicknames. [name]Theresa[/name] or [name]Therese[/name] are my favourite ways of getting to the nickname [name]Tess[/name].

Let me add my two cents:
[name]Quintessa[/name]
Contessa
[name]Thessaly[/name]
[name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Thomasina[/name]
[name]Thalassa[/name]
[name]Temperance[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Tacita[/name]
Aithousa/Anthousa
[name]Astoria[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Christiana[/name]/[name]Christianna[/name]
Chrysanthe
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (she ahs so many other nicknames, I can’t see why [name]Tess[/name] would cause any more trouble than Busy and the likes!)
[name]Ernestine[/name]
[name]Eustacia[/name]
[name]Hester[/name]/[name]Hestia[/name]/[name]Vesta[/name]
[name]Honesty[/name]
[name]Itzel[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Lotus[/name]
[name]Lucasta[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Rosetta[/name]
Solstice

I would also look for names ending in ‘essa’ or ‘ess’… There are quite a few, and I’m sure some of them would be less of a stretch than many of the names I’ve suggested… :wink: Something starting with D perhaps? D’s and T’s are similar…

I also like [name]Tess[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name]. I prefer [name]Teresa[/name] without the h. I never understood the “[name]Theresa[/name]” spelling. The French name [name]Therese[/name] is beautiful when it is pronounced correctly - Ter-ezz. I’ve heard people pronounce it as rhyming with “grease.” Ugh!

Unfortunately that is the ONLY way I hear it pronounced around here! :?

I love the idea of [name]Esther[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name]!