Thalia or Talia? How do Australians pronounce it?

I personally prefer [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] but I don’t know?

Also about the Australian pronunciation, thinking of emigration and how it is said over there? And how is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] pronounced over there as well please?

[name_f]Happy[/name_f] [name_f]Easter[/name_f]!!

I have know [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]'s and [name_f]Talia[/name_f]'s both with the pronunciation tah-lee-uh.
I also knew a [name_f]Tahlia[/name_f] with this pronunciation.

An Australian reality show had a girl named [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], pronounced tharh-lee-uh (tharh rhyming with car), but I have never met anyone with this pronunciation.

I have [name_f]Talia[/name_f] on my list, I think it is the simplest, prettiest spelling.

I pronounce [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] as eye-vee and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] as roo-ben.

I like [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. When I see [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], I pronounce it thalia (with the “th” sound), even though I know it can be pronounced talia.

We would pronouce it
Tar-lee-ahh / Thar-lee-ahh (though with our accent both would likely have an ‘arr’ rather than ‘ahh’ sound.
Eye-vee
Rooh-ben

:slight_smile:

I would pronounce [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-lee-ah, but that’s because I have a stepsister who goes by this as a short form of her given name. I would pronounce [name_f]Talia[/name_f] [name_m]Tah[/name_m]-lee-ah, but I wouldn’t think too hard if you told me it was [name_m]Tahl[/name_m]-yah or [name_m]Tah[/name_m]-[name_f]LIA[/name_f] or something.

I’m quite fond of the spelling [name_f]Tahlia[/name_f], myself.

I am Australian with a friend named “[name_f]Tahlia[/name_f]” and we pronounce it “taa-lee-uh/ah” (“taa” as in “car” or “baa” - a soft ‘r’). ‘memphis’ is spot on with her explanations too! Hope this helps :slight_smile:

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] is the best spelling :smiley:

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]: tah-lee-ah (I pronounced it as than-lee-ah until recently)
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]: eye-bee
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]: roo-ben

[name_f]Talia[/name_f]: Tar-lee-ar. I’ve known quite a few girls named [name_f]Tahlia[/name_f], and if I’m going off their pronunciation, then there’s a strong emphasis on both “a”, making a very harsh “argh” sound.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]: Eye-vee.

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]: Roo-bin or Roo-ben.

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Talia[/name_f] - Generally pronounce Tar-lee-ah, although I do know one [name_u]Tay[/name_u]-lee-ah.
I think I prefer the [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] spelling but obviously I haven’t given it much thought.
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - I-V
And to pronounce [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], I could only explain it as Roo-b(i)n… or Roo-b(e)n. It’s hard to explain but I don’t think we really pronounce the i or the e… just the ‘bn’. We don’t pronounce the ‘en’ at the end, its just an ‘n’ if that makes sense.