That Fine Line of Name Thievery

@ash I understand it hurts and Im not trying to be rude but imo it’s not fair to expect others to not only not use your combos without permission but to not use similar ones as well. I googled [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] and it turns out www.isabelaurora.com is a registered domain for a model named [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] who is also on youtube, etc, there’s also an online BA for an [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] born in 2010 and then there are multiple fb and twitter results plus [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Isabela[/name] which is apparently a municipality in the Phillipines (never heard of until now).

I think this is one of those examples where you may not realize how common your beloved name is and why name thievery is a pretty complex issue. I know [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is a beautiful unique name that you love and worked hard on and I do sincerely hope that one day you will get to use it and have the only little [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Grace[/name] out there!

lol, I’m not so naive as to think that I’ll have the only [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Grace[/name] out there… and I know there are similar names, but none that were exactly “[name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Grace[/name]” have popped up when I searched them. [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] is not the same as [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Grace[/name], but still, it hit a nerve I was not expecting it to, that’s all I was saying. When I replied to that member of the other site, I tried to make it clear that she was completely free to use the name–I definitely didn’t have a claim on it–and I still don’t. It is irrational to think that I hold the domain on the full combo (or any similar combo), which, obviously, I don’t, especially since [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] are quite popular in the US.

That being said, I don’t think it’s unfair to ask others to have the common courtesy to at least give someone the heads-up that you’re using a name that has been on their list or has been a consideration for them in the past, unless they offer it up to you. Especially if it’s their top contender. It’s just common courtesy.

100% this. Nobody “owns” or has a “right” to a name, and I think getting unduly upset about name “thievery” is a bit strange, especially the idea of asking someone for permission. :confused:

Ehh, I wouldn’t be mad, but I’d feel a bit “Gosh darn, now it’s not so special.” but then get over it and be very flattered.

Some of my number ones are not very obscure at all, and I know the individual names are relatively common.
Such as:
[name]Alessandra[/name] [name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Eli[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Liam[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Cole[/name]

And it also depends on which name they were copying. [name]Alessandra[/name] [name]Chloe[/name] I adore, and would feel more miffed if someone used it as well from me. Whereas [name]Liam[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], I also love, but would not mind at all if another person used it as well.
I think it’s because [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] are such commonly used names, whereas [name]Alessandra[/name] is so rare in my personal experience.

So it’s a bit of a case by case thing. But I wouldn’t be mad, or label them a thief. Unless they got the idea from me, and then was trying to pass it off as their own idea. Then I’d be annoyed, only due to taking my tiny bit of creativity and trying to brand it as theirs. I’m protective of my creativity…I don’t have much of it. Lol.

I wouldn’t take someone’s idea and put it in my signature because I feel like that is implying that I came up with it myself.

I would absolutely take a name/combo off a website and use it on my child if I loved it and wouldn’t think twice about ‘asking’. I thought that was what these websites are for - the exchange of ideas. I don’t see the point of endlessly talking names (and I love endlessly talking names) if none of them are actually going to be used as names!

If I wanted a name to be really ‘unique’ (and I doubt many are) I wouldn’t be advertising it online - that just seems to ask for disappointment. Having said that it doesn’t matter one jot to me if someone in Far Eastern Mongolia has exactly the same name as me ~ how will I ever know?

If somebody really doesn’t want anyone stealing their “unique name combo”, they could easily just not post it and save it for themselves. That way, should somebody use their “prized combo”, it would be entirely coincidental. And in a way, why would someone want to release their perfect name combo out into the world before bestowing it on a child? By doing so, it’s almost as if the “magic” of the name is gone; it’s no longer as special.

As another poster said previously, I’d be honored if someone used a combo I posted but never used. After all, I’ll never have enough children to use all the name combos I like, but it would be nice to see someone else use them.

Overall, I think getting caught up in “name thievery” is petty and childish; there’s no way to “police” or tell people what names they can and can’t use, and that’s the beauty of naming. If you find someone uses the same name as your your child, it’s almost feels like a compliment.

Yes, this :slight_smile:

Over the internet or in passing: I’d love it if someone used one of my names, save for a few. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Felix[/name] is one of my top for boys, but it’s not all that unique, both names are beloved classics. However if someone stole Vintage [name]Monroe[/name] nn [name]Vinni[/name] [name]Monroe[/name], I might lose my head simply because it’s such a strange and unique name that you would notice if there were two lying around.

Someone I know: I would be pissed if someone I was around often used a name I was seriously considering. If it was a name I liked, but wasn’t absolutely in love with it’d be fine, and if it were someone I wasn’t around a ton see above. You can’t own a name, however.

I’m curious about the post that mentions ‘seriously considering’ a name. I have wondered about this with my friends. We often talk names and toss around possibilities and favourites. I have a friend who seems to think that she has dibs on every name she has ever mentioned! Fine if you have a particular favourite that you have always wanted to use and you may be upset if someone uses it but if you have a whole list of maybe options it isn’t fair to consider any of them ‘yours’. I also think that if you had the chance to use it allready and didn’t then you have passed on your option (eg if you have a boy and then try and claim another boy’s name you didn’t use the first time - too late!).

My best friend has actually asked permission from my mother to use my middle names on her daughter ‘[name]Emily[/name] [name]Faith[/name].’ We’ll see if anything comes of it, though!

I think as long as it is someone you don’t know it’s fine. I wouldn’t mind. I wouldn’t be upset, flattered, etc… I just wouldn’t really care because I’m sure someone at some point in time on the earth had that name combo. I don’t think there is any unique name combo unless you give your kid some name like: lodsifnosi (just to be extreme)

If it was someone I knew, I would be pissed. Especially since they know it’s my name, it would be even more infuriating if they took the name and had the baby before me. I doubt that will ever happen though… but that would be the only time I think I would get upset.

I agree with everyone that you can’t really steal a name… but I have a funny story to share. A friend has a 1 year old daughter with a not common, but not unusual first name (in the low #200s). A more uncommon middle name (not in the top 1000). And goes by a very unique nn that’s a combo of fn and mn, very quirky, and totally made up kind of like a pet-name.

[name]One[/name] of her co-workers has a baby a couple of months ago and without any warning or heads up, uses the same. exact. name. All the way down to the very unusual nn. Now, whatever… nothing saying she can’t do that. But can I just say, it definitely comes off as a creeeepy It wasn’t like this shared name was something like [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Rose[/name]… it was a significantly unique moniker. Personally, I would totally be thinking this lady is going to start dressing like me and stalking my trash. It definitely caused tension in her office, and raised quite a few eyebrows.

Life is just too short! I have been telling myself this lately bc I had a relative recently use my name on their child…the entire combo. It really took some time for me to get over it, and if I ever want to use the name when the time comes, I will do just that! My grandmother and her sister had two children with the same FN (huge age difference though) and I don’t remember any animosity. I think that if your name is “stolen” you shouldn’t not use it bc someone did first.
I don’t think I would consider it name thievery if someone from this site used my name…I actually would be flattered.