The Challenge

Hello,

I’ve been a member for a few weeks now but this is my first time posting.

Though we are not yet expecting I’m really looking forward to the day when we are and therefore have been thinking about potential names constantly! So here’s my dilemma, all of the full names
that I love do not seem to have nicknames that strike my fancy, and all of the nicknames I love don’t seem to have any full names equally as wonderful. So this may be a lost cause, as I may just be too
picky but you all seem to offer such brilliant solutions to other posters that I thought I would give it a shot. On a side note we already have one boy and one girl name picked out but since we want 3 I need
help with another girl name (Middle name will probably be either [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Juniper[/name] or another J name). [name]Feel[/name] free to get as creative as you want with the nicknames (ie. Anagrams of the full name, or of the meaning of the name could be really neat).

These are the full names I love with the nicknames I’m just so-so about:

[name]Amelia[/name] - [name]Millie[/name] (is okay but it’s what I’ve always called my grandmother so as nice as it would be to honor her I can’t see it on a little girl)
- [name]Leah[/name] (I don’t like this one)
- [name]Minna[/name] (this one is the best but it I’m still not sold on it)

[name]Hazel[/name] -(I can’t think of a single nickname for this one!)

[name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Liddie[/name] (I don’t like this one)
- [name]Lucy[/name] (would this be too far of a stretch?)

[name]Matilda[/name] - [name]Mattie[/name] (nice but it’s probably getting over used by the popular [name]Madison[/name] which makes it feel a bit trendy)
- [name]Tilda[/name] (I really liked this until I realised it was the name of an actress who seems a bit snooty and from then on all I can picture it on is her)
- [name]Tilly[/name] (I’m really not a fan of this)

Nicknames I love that need an equally lovely full name (I prefer 3 or 4 syllable names):

[name]Flora[/name] - I’ve fallen head-over-heels for this one (much to my surprise since I didn’t use to like it) but I hate the name [name]Florence[/name] and the other options, [name]Florina[/name] or [name]Floria[/name], are just okay. Floralee sounds really nice but I don’t think
it’s a legitimate name.

[name]Cora[/name] - I’m still on the fence with this one…I used to prefer it over [name]Flora[/name] but now that has changed. I kind of like [name]Coraline[/name] or [name]Corabel[/name] ([name]Coralee[/name] sounds to close to [name]Cory[/name] in my opinion).

Thank you for reading and other suggestions are welcomed (I love pretty names with quirky nicknames).

Cheers!

hi!
I’m no expert, but here’s my take:)

[name]Amelia[/name] - [name]How[/name] about [name]Amy[/name]? A character on the [name]West[/name] [name]Wing[/name] (my favorite show in the world!) is [name]Amy[/name], short for [name]Amelia[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] - We considered this name for a while and I thought it would be adorable if my daughter couldn’t say her little sister’s name so just called her “ZeeZee”

[name]Lydia[/name] - can’t help you here

[name]Matilda[/name] - I really like [name]Tilly[/name], but that’s just me.

[name]Flora[/name] - You could do [name]Florence[/name]. . .I think [name]Flora[/name] itself it very lovely though.

[name]Cora[/name] - [name]Coraline[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name] are both nice! Also, I love [name]Cora[/name] on its own too.

Well, I really adore the nn [name]Mia[/name] and I think you could use it for either [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] could get the nn [name]Halle[/name] (if you don’t mind its similarity to [name]Haley[/name]).

[name]Lydia[/name] could be [name]Lia[/name] or just L ([name]Elle[/name]).

[name]Cora[/name] could also be a nn for [name]Corrina[/name] or [name]Corinne[/name].

I think [name]Flora[/name] (with its similarity in sound to [name]Fleur[/name]) could actually be a nn for any flower name (e.g. [name]Rose[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Violet[/name]).

I forgot to mention that I want nicknames that are less common and nothing trendy. So [name]Amy[/name], [name]Elle[/name], and [name]Haley[/name] are nice but they’re just not for me. Sorry, I know I’m only making things more difficult! Thanks though.

I think for [name]Amelia[/name], you could also use [name]Mimi[/name] - does something like that appeal to you?

([name]Mimi[/name] is actually one of my absolute favorites, but if I were to use it, I would probably use the full name [name]Miriam[/name]).

So [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] need offbeat nicknames. I’ll try my best:
[name]Amelia[/name] - [name]Mel[/name]/[name]Mellie[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], Aia, Ia (prn. EE-ah), and since [name]Amelia[/name] mean ‘energetic’ I’d probably call her Spark, Sparks and Sparkles as a pet name!
[name]Lydia[/name] - Ia, [name]Lee[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lida[/name] (no funky meaning here)
[name]Hazel[/name] - love the ZeeZee suggestion, also [name]Haze[/name], [name]Zella[/name], [name]ZaZa[/name], [name]Hazie[/name], I’d probably jokingly call her Nut, Nuts or Nutters, plus Irish mythology and the Borthers Grimm say [name]Hazel[/name] gives one [name]Wisdom[/name] and [name]Inspiration[/name] and protection from things that creep around like snakes and such. Maybe Wiz?
[name]Matilda[/name] - [name]Tilda[/name] is my favourite here, who cares about [name]Tilda[/name] Swinton!! Others: [name]Mae[/name], [name]Maud[/name] (a diminutive of [name]Matilda[/name]) [name]Milda[/name], [name]Tilla[/name], [name]Maudie[/name], [name]Til[/name], [name]Matt[/name]. Plus, in [name]Dante[/name]'s Dvine Comedy there’s a [name]Matilda[/name] who [name]Dante[/name] compares to [name]Persephone[/name], the goddess of [name]Spring[/name], so you could call her [name]Spring[/name], or Kor” (KOH-ray)/[name]Cora[/name] which was [name]Persephone[/name]'s name when she was younger. It’s a big stretch though blushes

So [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] need longer names:
[name]Florentine[/name]
Blancheflor
[name]Floralia[/name]
[name]Florencia[/name]
[name]Florentia[/name]
[name]Floretta[/name] (beautiful!)
Florianne
Florimel (love this one!)
[name]Florina[/name]
[name]Florinda[/name]

[name]Concord[/name]/[name]Concordia[/name] (I prefer [name]Concord[/name] for a boy, awesome virtue name either way!)
[name]Coralie[/name]
Coraz”n
[name]Coretta[/name]
Coriander
Corinthia (This one sounds so happy)
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Corona[/name] (this one means ‘crown’!)
Coronis
([name]Corrianne[/name]/Corriana/Corrianna)
[name]Socorro[/name]
([name]Persephone[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name]?)

That’s all I can think of for now!
Let me know what you think! ^^

[name]Hi[/name]! I love the suggestions, and I really, really love your names! :slight_smile:

[name]Matilda[/name]: I’m not sure if this was already mentioned, but because [name]Maude[/name] is a variant of [name]Matilda[/name], you may like [name]Maude[/name] as a nickname.

[name]Cora[/name]: My favorite longer names for [name]Cora[/name] are [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Corinna[/name].

More names you may like:

[name]Adelaide[/name] ([name]Adele[/name], [name]Adela[/name], or [name]Della[/name])
[name]Adeline[/name] (ditto)
[name]Adelia[/name] (ditto, plus [name]Delia[/name])
[name]Annabel[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name]–probably too common for you)
[name]Beatrix[/name] (nn [name]Bee[/name] or Bixie)
[name]Clementine[/name] (nn [name]Cleo[/name])
[name]Caroline[/name] (nn Caddy or [name]Caro[/name])
[name]Charlotte[/name] (nn [name]Lottie[/name])
[name]Cecilia[/name] (nn [name]Celia[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name] (nn Bizzie or [name]Libby[/name])
[name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name] (nn [name]Nora[/name], [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Felicity[/name] (nn [name]Flossie[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Lena[/name])
[name]Josephine[/name] (nn [name]Josie[/name] or [name]Posey[/name])
[name]Louisa[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], or [name]Margot[/name])
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Poppy[/name] or [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name] (nn [name]Bee[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Sunny[/name])
[name]Tabitha[/name] (nn [name]Tibbie[/name])

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Oh! And to add to the above, if you give [name]Lydia[/name] a middle name beginning with B, such as [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name], you could use the LB initials to reach a [name]Libby[/name] nickname, if that appeals to you.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Wow these are some great suggestions!

So far I like:

[name]Mimi[/name] for [name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Lida[/name] for [name]Lydia[/name]

[name]Tilla[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] for [name]Matilda[/name]

[name]Zella[/name] for [name]Hazel[/name] (and since DH is an Irish national I loved learning that this name had a role in Irish mythology)

[name]Persephone[/name] for [name]Cora[/name] - This one is wonderful because I’m really starting to love [name]Persephone[/name] and being able to use [name]Cora[/name] as a nickname makes it a big plus!

[name]Floralia[/name], [name]Floretta[/name] and [name]Florina[/name] (I’m liking more now that it’s been reiterated) for [name]Flora[/name]

Thank you [name]Jill[/name]!

Yes I love many of the names you suggested! [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], and [name]Josephine[/name] are all on my list ([name]Josephine[/name] is to be used as a middle name to honor DH by beginning with a J and my father who’s middle name is [name]Joseph[/name].) Some of the others you mentioned are already taken by another member of our rather large family.

Ooh I forgot to say thanks for the [name]Mia[/name] suggestion! It had crossed my mind before but now that you mentioned it I’m really loving it!