the confusing thing about James

From everything I can find, [name_u]James[/name_u] is suppose to be an uber popular name, even to this day. Its constantly top 20… In the us and in my particular state

Why is it that I feel like no one is naming their boy [name_u]James[/name_u]?
Am I not looking hard enough? Is it that people are giving their sons honor names but calling them by their middles?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you find [name_u]James[/name_u] is very popular where you are for young boys?

It’s just that the trendy names get more press and as a result, people are led to think they are more popular than they really are. I don’t know many little children at this point in my life, but I have known many young adult and middle-aged men named [name_u]James[/name_u]. But the thing is, they usually go by [name_m]Jim[/name_m] or [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m].

I was actually just thinking about this last night! I think [name_u]James[/name_u] is a pretty popular name- I’ve known at least seven- but, like addie88 said, a lot of them use nicknames. It’s like [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]- I’ve known so many Nicks and most of them have probably been [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]'s that went by a nickname.

I’m not talking adults here, though. I’m talking young children

And I’m not basing my finding on “press” , necessarily. I’m looking at ss data vs children I see [name_m]IRL[/name_m].

And yes they go by nicknames but I’m included names that are obvious nicknames of [name_u]James[/name_u]. I don’t know boys named [name_u]James[/name_u], jimmy, or [name_m]Jim[/name_m].

I don’t personally know any young kids named [name_u]James[/name_u] and I work at a daycare.

I guess it depends on your area, then. Some regions are known to name more conservatively and others more liberally. In places like where I live, the Northeastern United States, you are more likely to meet a little [name_u]James[/name_u] (or [name_m]John[/name_m], or [name_m]Peter[/name_m], for example). Other regions go more for trendy, invented, and generational names.

I think a lot of parents are putting [name_u]James[/name_u] on the birth certificate for the sake of family tradition but calling their sons by their middle names.

See that’s what I was wondering. My husband’s family has had a string of [name_m]Williams[/name_m] for I think at least 4 generations, but they all go by their middle.

Its been a top 20 name for ages, it’s a classic. I’ve only ever known maybe four or five people people named [name_u]James[/name_u], only one of them actually went by [name_u]James[/name_u]. It’s had a pretty constant popularity, but as a first name, you just don’t hear it too often. I do know dozens of people with the middle name [name_u]James[/name_u], which I assume is how it stays so popular.

I do know a young [name_u]James[/name_u] that goes by [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] that even the most popular names are given to fewer babies than the most popular names in the past.

I know three little boys named [name_u]James[/name_u] (but I work in child care so I know a lot of children). They all go by [name_u]James[/name_u], no nicknames. That being said, I still don’t find it overly popular. I know a lot more boys named [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]!

I only know of one woman who has a 3-year-old [name_u]James[/name_u], it’s definitely not popular here for kids.

I don’t know if I’ve ever met a little [name_u]James[/name_u]. I love the name, but I can’t use it. My father-in-law is named [name_u]James[/name_u] (goes by [name_m]Jim[/name_m]) and my brother-in-law already used [name_u]James[/name_u] as the middle name for his son [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I also dated a [name_u]James[/name_u] in high school, but he went by [name_u]Jaime[/name_u] instead.

I think [name_u]James[/name_u] is still popular depending on the area you live in, but names like [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] and [name_u]Jameson[/name_u], unfortunately, have taken over.

The youngest [name_u]James[/name_u] that I know is about 17.

Thanks everyone. I’m due Thursday and having a hard time committing to anything!

[name_m]Don[/name_m]‘t know if this helps - there are two [name_u]James[/name_u]’ under 9 on my husbands side of the family (there are 4 more who are adults). The family tends to name very conservatively and by old Irish Catholic traditions. (I kid not there are 3 [name_m]Vincents[/name_m] and 5 Elizabeths, two Patricks, etc).

So I don’t know if that helps with explaining how popular the name is outside of the family or in their neighborhood overall.

I e only ever met 2-3 little boys named [name_u]James[/name_u].

I think I’ve met one young [name_u]James[/name_u]–and that was three years ago at a daycare I worked at. I love it but hesitate to use it because I wouldn’t want it shortened to [name_m]Jim[/name_m] or [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m].

I have a [name_u]James[/name_u] in my class (2nd grade), but he’s the only elementary schooler I’ve met with that name.

I know a few, one goes by Peanut cos he is very small. Another goes by Ainley I think cos that’s his surname.