The Countless Retellings of Arthurian Legend....but what's the story you know best?

[name_m]How[/name_m] have you heard the arthurian legend? What’s the story that stood out to you the most, or the one you heard first…just the one you prefer? Please tell me cause I need help decoding the story!!

So basically, just tell me the legend you have as your favorite. Condense the whole story!

The one that stands out to me is [name_m]Sir[/name_m] [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] and [name_f]Lady[/name_f] Ragnell.

1 Like

I was first introduced to Arthurian legend by Disney’s The Sword in the [name_m]Stone[/name_m]. This adaptation only focuses on [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]'s childhood, so it doesn’t have much to do with him being king. Then I watched BBC’s [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], which is really just an overview of the tale, with little changes made throughout. The only story I’m very familiar with is [name_m]Sir[/name_m] [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] and the [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_m]Knight[/name_m], which I had to read for school.

1 Like

I’m Welsh and remember as a child hearing a story that was something along the lines of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] became king after slaying the last dragon of [name_m]Wales[/name_m] using the excalibur that a wizard named [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] told him about. I’m not sure if this is actually one of the legends because I’ve heard different things since but I think it’s the general idea of how everything is supposed to fit together

2 Likes

I watched The Sword in the [name_m]Stone[/name_m] but that was ages ago so I don’t remember what happened apart from [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] pulling the sword… from the stone. I had to read Sir [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] and the [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_m]Knight[/name_m] for [name_u]Brit[/name_u] Lit last year, and I wrote part of my final exam on it.

Basically, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] has a party and a mysterious figure called The [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_m]Knight[/name_m] shows up. He asks for someone to strike a blow on him and promises to return that in a year. [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] steps up and cuts his head off. A year later, [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] stumbles upon a mysterious castle where he meets a man and his wife. The man says that for 3 days, he will go hunt while [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] stays at the castle, and at the end of the day, they would exchange their “winnings”. On the first day, the wife gives [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] one kiss, so [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] gives the man a kiss. On the second day, it’s 2 kisses. On the third, she gives him 3 kisses and her girdle, which she says will protect him from death. [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] gives the kisses but not the girdle. The next day, he leaves and meets the [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_m]Knight[/name_m]. When [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] presents his neck, the knight fakes him out twice then nicks him on the third. The knight reveals that he’s the man from the castle, and the reason he drew blood on the third blow was because [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] didn’t give him the girdle, but the knight proclaims [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] is the most noble knight in the kingdom.

I’m sorry I can’t be of more help lol. This isn’t a legend I know much about!

1 Like

I honestly don’t know much, and the first time I remember clearly learning a little about it is the scene in minions where bob pulls the sword out of the stone, and that afternoon I got my dad to kinda explain it to me. I don’t really know more than that there were knights of the round table and a similar story to @Carys1

2 Likes

That’s the one I thought of, but I think I heard a slightly different version!

1 Like