The Elena-Helena-Helen problem!

So it starts with the name [name]Elena[/name]. I love its being soft and cute.

When I chose it, [name]Helena[/name] came to mind. It’s more classic and beautiful. I pronounce [name]Helena[/name] as he-[name]Lay[/name]-na, which is very similar with e-[name]Lay[/name]-na. So, why not add a H and make the name more wholesome?

While, after listening to others’ opinions, many people pronounce [name]Helena[/name] as Heh-len-na, so it will definately be shorted to [name]Helen[/name].

[name]Helen[/name] is the most original and simple version among these three. So then I ask myself again why not just [name]Helen[/name]?

You see, that’s my problem, one name will always introduce another, but no one is perfect enough for us to settle down on it.

That’s why I need your help!

PS: the middle name is open, and our last name is one syllable.

I have a similar feeling with these names and am thinking about [name]Helene[/name]…
(hel-een)

Well I far prefer elena or [name]Helena[/name] with the long a prn. [name]Helen[/name] always sounded harsh to me.

[name]Helena[/name] or [name]Elena[/name] are both wonderful names . I prefer it with an “H” myself but that’s just me. The [name]Helena[/name] spelling is actually less popular in the US than [name]Elena[/name] due to the Hispanic influence. [name]Helen[/name] is ok but seems a little plain next to them. You’re just going to have to put your foot down, girl! Correct people when they pronounce the name wrong and they’ll soon get the hang of it. Also, if they call her [name]Helen[/name], politely tell them that her name is [name]Helena[/name]. The name is too gorgeous to let others ruin it for you! [name]Remember[/name] that the parents are in charge of pronunciation and nicknames so you and your DH can nip people’s bad habits in the bud!!!
All the best,
[name]Mischa[/name].

I like [name]Elena[/name], maybe spelling it [name]Elaina[/name] or [name]Alaina[/name] would make it feel more whole (prn same way). Maybe even [name]Laine[/name] if you wanted it to be more simple.
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Aura[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]

[name]Just[/name] my 2cents

This thread totally fits in with my family. It starts with my great aunt whose name was [name]Helen[/name]. Then my mother was born [name]Helen[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], she always complains about her parents giving her the same name twice and she goes by [name]Elaine[/name]. My sister named her daughter [name]Elena[/name] in honor of both my aunt and my Mom. No one named [name]Helena[/name] yet, maybe in the next generation. :wink:

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the derivataives of [name]Helen[/name]. If you first really loved [name]Elena[/name] than go for it!

Ohhhh! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Helena[/name], though I’m a little biased. I have a daughter named [name]Helena[/name] and we pronounce it heh-lay-na. We were anticipating pronunciation problems, but believe it or not most people pronounce it the ‘correct’ way the first time. She’s not yet two, so I’m sure we’ll have more pronunciation issues down the line, but we decided that it just wasn’t a big enough deal to keep us from using a name we love.

I vote for [name]Helena[/name]. I’m not a fan of [name]Elena[/name] and agree with a previous poster about spelling it [name]Elaina[/name]. To me, [name]Elaina[/name] looks like a name while [name]Elena[/name] just looks like someone took the H off of [name]Helena[/name].

Good luck!

I’m more inclined to go with [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] - [name]Helen[/name] is nice, too, but it seems to have a different feel to me. But I’m sitting here watching [name]Troy[/name], so maybe that’s why, lol.

[name]Elena[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Vittoria[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Catharina[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Demetria[/name]

I went to school with a girl named [name]Helena[/name], pronounced Heh-[name]LEE[/name]-na, and I always thought it was such a pretty name! My vote goes to [name]Helena[/name] - people will pronounce it the way you tell them to.

I love [name]Helena[/name], though I like ‘[name]Helen[/name]-a’, but I don’t think that means there is no point in the final ‘a.’ Many names are more fashionable right now with the ‘a’ added on-[name]Susanna[/name] vs. [name]Susan[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] vs. [name]Cecile[/name], [name]Anna[/name] vs. [name]Ann[/name], [name]Eva[/name] vs. [name]Eve[/name], etc. I don’t think anyone will shorten [name]Helena[/name] to [name]Helen[/name] in the current climate of longer names being typically more common. [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] are perfectly doable.

I like [name]Elena[/name] the best!
[name]May[/name] I suggest [name]Elaine[/name] which comes from [name]Helen[/name] (and is my mn? Or perhaps [name]Elaina[/name]? could go by [name]Lainie[/name] or [name]Elly[/name]…Or you could do the Gaelic form of [name]Helen[/name] which is [name]Eileen[/name] nn [name]Elly[/name]?

[name]Elena[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Sharlene[/name]

HOPED I HELPED =D

I love both [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Helena[/name], not [name]Helen[/name] as much (although I think it’s still in the “like” category).

The caution is that I think you (or she) will always face pronunciation issues - this isn’t to say that you shouldn’t choose either name.

[name]How[/name] do you feel about nns?

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Laney[/name] or [name]Lena[/name]? That would influence your choice.