THE First Names Shortlist (I'm sure!)

So, I had a revelation 3 days ago after posting about [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]: DH has to love her first name. This shouldn’t be so revelatory, but it is. I have held fast to many a name he has been ‘meh, I like it OK’ on. In sincerity, this is because he ACTUALLY does QUITE FREQUENTLY come around to my side on a name and falls for it hard, which is one of the many things that endear him to me. But… I don’t think he will flip for the remaining tops he doesn’t currently love, as it has been well past the usual time frame for him to flip his position on them. And I’ve decided that this is of ultimate consequence and importance. He must LOVE her first name (middles may wiggle).

With that said and without further ado, here is our first name shortlist.

[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f], “[name_f]Petra[/name_f]”
Olympias

It changes our top 24 I’m still posting about weekly (here), but not by much. What do you think of these 7 first names? Right now I’m feeling 98.5% sure her name is in among this list. Also a little saddened to give up the hard C, but [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is the only one he LOOOVES with a passion, and she fell out of favor with me a couple years ago. And a little sad to see RoCHe go, too (somebody PLEASE use [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], will you?). But suuuuper excited to share this news as this is a fabulous short list. I love every name on this list passionately and smile thinking she is here.

11 Likes

I’m so happy you’ve found a list of names to whole-heartedly love! They all seem perfect.

1 Like

Ahhh!!! I am so excited to see this!

This is an amazing list! I’m a little sad about [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] too, but you are 100% right. He should love her name too.
And I love all the names here. I think any of them would work great with your boys’ names!

I can’t wait to see the combos with these.

1 Like

Yes!! I have such a good feeling about this list. These all seem bang-on for my gut reaction of what would be the right name for this baby.

1 Like

Such a great list! I particularly love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] for you.

Also, I think you are 100% right in placing importance on both of you loving the name passionately. I will be excited to know which you end up using if your next little one is a girl! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Petra[/name_f] but can never use it because my DH & I stick to Hebrew and Russian names (also our surname starts with a ‘P’). [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite combo with it is [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f].

1 Like

So exciting! I’m especially excited to see that [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] made the list! :blush:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] for you

1 Like

I’m glad you have so many options that you really love! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], and although it’s a quite different style, I also quite like [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] would both be perfect fits with your boys!

1 Like

I absolutely adore [name_f]Petra[/name_f] (which you may know, as I have been rooting for [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] in your other thread, haha), and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] seems equally perfect - looking forward to reading about your [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] combo(s).

Tempest is lovely but doesn’t have quite the same… gravitas? as the other names on your short list for me, so it feels a bit like the odd one out here (which could mean it’s the one though - standing out from the rest stylistically isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

1 Like

The one that stands out to me the most is [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]! It’s so sweet yet strong! [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] don’t appeal to me at all. [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] is delightful too! However, I’m not sure about the literal storm meaning- tempests are dangerous! [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is pretty but doesn’t stand up to [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] just feels very fantasy-like, and Olympias is nice but will most likely be confused with [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and I just don’t like it as much as [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f].

I love that you’ve found your perfect shortlist! [only after giving feedback do I realize that you didn’t actually ask for it :grin:]

1 Like

Oh I definitely want the feedback! Thank you. I’ll be back later with more comments.

1 Like

Some great names here!

Petra, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] all sound strong with a lovely warrior quality.

I have a fondness for [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and certainly would like to meet one someday (doesn’t seem likely in [name_u]California[/name_u], wish I could shelter in place in [name_f]England[/name_f]!).

1 Like

The final “s” in Olympias used to throw me off a bit but now I agree with @seawillow, I think it’s very fitting and unique.

I also love the idea of [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] for the meaning and because you get [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as a nn so it’s like getting two names in one!!

As much as I love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], my cat is named [name_m]Octavius[/name_m] so I won’t be able to give an unbiased opinion on that one. It would definitely be on my list if not for that, but I can’t separate it from [name_m]Octavius[/name_m] in my mind. It is a gorgeous name though. I’ll be interested to read what made you fall for it. :blush:

I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] but I remember you mentioning it not working well in [name_u]French[/name_u] and I wonder if that still bothers you? Maybe she could go by a [name_u]French[/name_u] middle?

Thisbe and [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] :heart::heart: I love these about the same (a lot). I think it would depend on the combo but I remember some of your [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] combos are so stunning and I just can’t get over [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]. I’d use it but hubby would never let me. :joy:
Still excited to see all the combos, but I figured I’d add my thoughts for now.

2 Likes

They’re all so beautiful! I will miss [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], though.

I think my favorites are [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_u]Tempest[/name_u], and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - though I’m sure that will change once you make combos.

I know that it’s not quite as meaningful as a true RoCHe, but [name_u]Hero[/name_u] fits the He and the [name_f]Ro[/name_f] even if it is a bit of a dismantled honor. (Though it could just be me wanting more [name_u]Hero[/name_u] pairings)

1 Like

I love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]! Your whole list is super amazing!

1 Like

Oh I love this shortlist for you! The only one I’m not crazy about is [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], because I feel like I’m lisping when I say it :woman_facepalming: (this seems to be a [name_u]Haley[/name_u] issue though, lol).

I think my favourites from this list for you are [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]/Petra, and [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]!

Also, I totally get you when it comes to him needing to love the name - when the time comes, my list will be dramatically shorter I think (although, S/O does come around quite a bit to my list, and to surprising choices too, like [name_u]Harvest[/name_u]?) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

what a perfect shortlist for you! Though I am sad to see [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] (and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]) go!

My favorites for you are [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. They just feel so you. (especially [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]!)
They go nicely with H & A too!

Also, I think I’m starting to like [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] more, especially with nn [name_f]Petra[/name_f]!

My favorite for you is [name_f]Petra[/name_f]! Or [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] nn [name_f]Petra[/name_f], and maybe that one a bit more so you can use more names haha!

I also love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]!

I love Olympias so, so much!