🌻 The General Taste in Nameberry

How would you define the general or mainstream naming style and favourites on the Nameberry Forums as for 2023? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you notice any change compared to the last years? I knew here was a [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] phase (but I was not on the forum yet.) Thank you!

I’m not sure I can speak for the whole forum section, but I notice [name_f]Flora[/name_f] isn’t as popular as she once was on here (though still well-loved)! :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I started liking [name_f]Flora[/name_f] in late [name_f]April[/name_f], I think I tend to always later than of the trends of the usual people :skull::sunflower:

1 Like

In [name_u]England[/name_u] we have a margarine named [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. Pity, but I think it’s one to avoid over here.

1 Like

The only change I reckon I’ve noticed is more acceptance of unconventional word names! Other than that, Nameberry’s style has (almost) always leaned [name_f]English[/name_f] vintage, with the odd Western European or Scandinavian import.

2 Likes

I feel like we flop from [name_f]English[/name_f] classics to “kinder core” this year is definitely more classic.

Although my personal style isn’t like that at all

What is this?

Idk how to explain it because it could be a lot of different things but here are some name berry articles :wave: there is also a mega list but it doesn’t have as much detail. But names from [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] to [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] and [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] count!

2 Likes

As someone not in the Anglospere except online, my perception is that Nameberry leans very hard on a few categories, although most people here don’t like all of them:

Traditional UK names (ones you’d find in an [name_u]Austen[/name_u] novel, like Ed-varieties, [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], Eleanore; but also including non-English names like [name_m]Llewelyn[/name_m] and Saorise)

AmericanTM names (typically they end in -er or -ton and are accompanied by a bunch of emojis meant to signal outdoorsiness, especially for boys. For girls they can be flower names or word names like [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], or [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. Often they are actually surnames from other countries, especially when it’s a gender neutral name.)

Biblical names, especially the shorter ones that appear in English-language translations (Enoch, [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], Ruth).

[name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_m]German[/name_m] names that used to be common in the US and sometimes in the UK too, but has since become more uncommon (Otto, [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], Louis)

Scandinavian names, following the same rule as the [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_m]German[/name_m] names (Lars, Kirsten), or if they were popularised by a celebrity or fictional character (Astrid, [name_m]Odin[/name_m], Leif). Usually mispronounced and mispelled (Søren becomes [name_m]Soren[/name_m], Andersson becomes Anderson)

Greek and Latin names, but mostly if they start with Au- or A- and end in -ie or -elia or -us, or if it can be nicknamed to more familliar sounds (Aurelia and [name_m]Ambrosius[/name_m] or [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u] nn. [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and Nikodimus nn. Nico)

And most important of all, everything needs a nickname and nothing can ever be in the top 100 where you live! (I say, while also following this ;))

On the flipside, I rarely see names that originate in European countries I didn’t already mention (where’s the Portugese, Italian, Russian, Polish etc. names?), or from any part of [name_f]Asia[/name_f] or [name_f]Africa[/name_f], or from any indigenous populations across the world. I suspect the names in [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] have a lot in common with Spanish and Portugese names but I rarely see those either. I knew this site is very US-centered but I was surprised by the lack of African American names and names that work in both Spanish and [name_f]English[/name_f]

4 Likes

Same hahah! I am not from the Anglosphere but online I tend to go into English speaking communities a lot! XD Because I can’t find so many interesting forums or communities in Italian for example

I am not familiar at all with the American names but with this Uk names yes, because they are how “English names” are perceived where I live. And those are also my favourite type of English names because they are simpler to me.
To me, American name means Jessica, Bratt, Brian, Amanda, Juniper etc, but this is very stereotypical and limited to the knowledge of USA names of my country, so may you share me how you feel “American names” are like? I am curious. Thanks!

I share them a lot but maybe it is because I am from Italy and they feel familiar :sweat_smile: where I live, familiar names include Italian names of course, but also English (mostly “American teen 80 show” names and some “British names”) or French names. But I am also familiar with Russian and German names because I love them

I am not very familiar with the others!

Masculine names on girls, but not feminine names on boys as usual.
Over-the-top names for girls is still a thing.

1 Like

I meant to give [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] and [name_m]Llewelyn[/name_m] as examples of Welsh and [name_u]Irish[/name_u] names, not American, just for clarity. (Not sure if that was what you meant to ask.) But yes I can give some examples of names I consider US-American. The ones you listed definitely count, but also:

-er names: [name_u]Tanner[/name_u], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Archer[/name_u], [name_u]Cooper[/name_u], [name_u]Piper[/name_u]

-ton names: [name_m]Preston[/name_m], [name_u]Sutton[/name_u], [name_u]Braxton[/name_u], [name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_u]Peyton[/name_u]

-an names: [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Brennan[/name_u], [name_u]Declan[/name_u], [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (especially on a girl), [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Teagan[/name_u]

Ones that I always mistake for surnames: [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_m]Eddison[/name_m], [name_m]Harris[/name_m], [name_m]Russel[/name_m], McKenzie, [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m]

Word names: [name_f]Cherry[/name_f], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Bear[/name_u], [name_u]Blue[/name_u], [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Candace[/name_f] (all virtue names really), [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] (This category reads slightly less American to me than the others but I still wanted to include it)

Names that generally have that American sound to them: [name_m]Trey[/name_m], [name_f]Mikayla[/name_f], [name_f]Brynleigh[/name_f], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_m]Joel[/name_m] (when pronounced the typical way of English-speakers: as one syllable containing a W, “joe’wl”, instead of “YO-el”), [name_u]Jaiden[/name_u], [name_m]Chad[/name_m], [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_u]Connor[/name_u], [name_f]Aimee[/name_f], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_u]Galen[/name_u]

Note: I don’t think all of these are trending right now

2 Likes