The husband factor: a brother for Meredith

[name]Hi[/name] all!

[name]Just[/name] found this site–love the forums and all the suggestions/info on names! So fun!

Anyway, we are expecting [name]Baby[/name] #2 in [name]March[/name]–a boy. We have a two-year-old daughter, [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Jaymes[/name]; didn’t have much trouble coming up with a name for her. Now we are in super stuck mode for this baby!! Biggest problem: hubby and I seem to have totally different taste in boy’s names. We can agree on girl’s names, but boys…

Hubs likes basically anything in the top 20 and several names that are very popular. I tend to like names that are not made up, but are definitely not overly common–basically something that’s underused/underappreciated. We need help!!

Here is hubby’s list of faves:
[name]Lincoln[/name] ([name]Linc[/name])
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]

My faves:
[name]Thatcher[/name] ([name]Thatch[/name])
[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Dash[/name])
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]

Any input? Suggestions? Our last name starts with “M” and is one syllable, so we sort of prefer the first name have more than one syllable. I’d like to stay away from the “en” sound (ie: [name]Braden[/name], [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Caden[/name]…) just because it’s so overdone in our area right now.

FYI: Middle name will be [name]Curtis[/name], after hubby’s dad. For what it’s worth, our two year old is dead set on the baby being named [name]Thatcher[/name] (or as she says, “Patcher”)! Anytime we ask her about another name, she just says “No…baby Patcher!” Consequently, we’ve started calling the baby Patcher around the house, so I have a feeling [name]Thatcher[/name] may stick if hubby is willing to give in! :slight_smile:

I actually like most of your names, excluding [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Desmond[/name]. I’m surprised you’re having as much trouble as you are, to be honest, because yours and your husbads naming styles actually seem pretty similar! [name]Even[/name] though his favorites are a lot more common then yours are, the style is close. Your favorites are modern names, but they aren’t very common. His are also pretty trendy, but more overused. I think you should go for a name that has a modern and trendy feel, but its mostly unheard of. My favorites are [name]Evander[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Nolan[/name] and [name]Thatcher[/name] - in that order. [name]Evander[/name] goes best with the middle name and a short last name, and [name]Lincoln[/name] sounds best with [name]Meredith[/name], in my opinion. Here are some other names you might like:
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Arbor[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Holland[/name]
[name]Berkeley[/name]
Good luck, and congrats! :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]/[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]August[/name]

I think you’ve got lots of cool names on both of your lists, honestly! I could easily see [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]Nolan[/name] with [name]Meredith[/name] - off your husband’s list - and [name]Thatcher[/name] with [name]Meredith[/name] - off your list. As for the Patcher thing, Patch could easily be a nickname for your baby boy!

I’m trying to think of a name that would work, and [name]Patrick[/name] came to mind - for that Patch nickname - but [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Curtis[/name] isn’t so good at all. But, going off of the sort of neat, surname-y vibe I’m getting from your lists, I thought of [name]Patten[/name] [name]Curtis[/name], with Patch as a nickname! [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Patten[/name] are adorable together. You could also use [name]Patton[/name], like the general, but I think [name]Patten[/name] is a bit nicer, myself…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]EDIT[/name]: Sorry, just read you want to stay away from the “en” sound, but I still love [name]Patten[/name]. So much cooler than [name]Braden[/name], right?

You both have wonderful taste in names!! Some suggestions…

[name]Abraham[/name] ([name]Abe[/name], [name]Bram[/name])
[name]August[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Howell[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Patrin[/name] (Patch) I know you don’t want the ‘en’ sound, but Patcher just made me think of this :slight_smile:
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name] ([name]Wally[/name], [name]Ace[/name])

Before reading the entire entry I thought the most complimentary names to go with [name]Meredith[/name] would be anything associated with royalty. Now having read it fully I still think royal with a twist. Here’s a few ideas.

[name]Edward[/name]/[name]Edison[/name]/[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Heinrik[/name]/Hendricks
[name]William[/name]/[name]Wilhelm[/name]/[name]Willard[/name]
[name]George[/name]/[name]Gregory[/name]/[name]Gregor[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]/[name]Chance[/name]/[name]Chancellor[/name]
[name]James[/name]/[name]Jamison[/name]/[name]Jansen[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]/[name]Reinhardt[/name]/[name]Roderick[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]/[name]Leo[/name]/[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]/[name]Martin[/name]/[name]Montgomery[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]/[name]Julian[/name]/[name]Jude[/name]
[name]John[/name]/[name]Jonathan[/name]/[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]/[name]Thaddeus[/name]/[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]/[name]Phineas[/name]/[name]Pierce[/name]

[name]Thatcher[/name] is cute and it’s adorable that your daughter is so attached to it.
More ideas-
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]

I just wanted to cast my vote for Patcher as his name! I love it. One of my major name crushes for a boy is [name]Satchel[/name], and Patcher reminds me of this.

[name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Thatcher[/name] are a great combo,but I know that doesn’t really help you if the hubby would agree.

Thanks for all the input on both our lists!! There are some great suggestions; we do seem to both like the surnamey feel, I hadn’t realized that. Our daughter is still sold on Patcher (in fact, now she tells me that “baby Patcher coming in the mail in a box, Mommy.” [name]Don[/name]'t I wish!!! :smiley: ) It really may be weird if we go with anything else at this point just because of her and her very strong attachment to little “Patch!”

And as far as hubby goes–we had a funny incident the other day where I ended up saving him from going out of town to officiate a high school basketball game without his regulation pants (big oops!!!) and when I drove them out to him and handed them over, I jokingly told him it meant he had to relinquish the first name decision to me and he said “You got it!” Funny thing is, I think he may be serious–now he just smiles and says “if you love it, I love it!” I really think that he secretly likes [name]Thatcher[/name] now anyway but is afraid to admit it. Why else would he keep calling the baby Patcher too?! Men!!! :slight_smile:

I’m curious if you are still considering the name Patcher?! It’s such a cool name, esp. with the story behind it.

I love the name [name]Thatcher[/name], but it’s also the name of [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Grey[/name]'s father in [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy. [name]Just[/name] thought you should know that, though I really hope that it won’t keep you from using it :slight_smile: .

Although the double “Th” sounds in [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Thatcher[/name] go against my personal naming rules, with your ADORABLE backstory, I can safely say you should definitely go with [name]Thatcher[/name] if husband agrees and you continue to love it!!! SO CUTE! I am in love with the nickname Patch for your son since your daughter is so insistent. I find it SO endearing! What a cutie! Of course if many older siblings had their say in what their new brother/sister would be named, I have a feeling there would be a LOT of strange names out there, but your daughter seems to have picked a winner…next time you might not be so lucky! hehe =)

[name]Just[/name] because: I also like the suggestions of [name]Patrick[/name] and [name]Patten[/name]/[name]Patton[/name]. You could also pick a P first name and put [name]Thatcher[/name] in the middle to get Patch/Patcher. [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] sounds VERY nice but I have a feeling you will find the name too common for use… hmm. I think [name]Patten[/name]/[name]Patton[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] is probably a little TOO surnamey, and would prefer a softer sounding name paired with [name]Thatcher[/name] or [name]Patten[/name]/[name]Patton[/name].

What about [name]Pascal[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name]?

[name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Pascal[/name] nn Patch, cute!!!