The More Spellings.. The More Difficult

[name_m]Lleyton[/name_m]. [name_m]Layton[/name_m]. [name_u]Leighton[/name_u].

when hearing the name my initial thought is [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m], than [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] and last [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. i love the name but i have many reservations - starting with the spelling!!

• which spelling would you use on a girl?

being australian, there is a famous tennis player [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] [name_m]Hewitt[/name_m]. i wonder if one, naming my daughter [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] would draw the connection but two, the spelling would probably make people actually ask if i named my daughter after him. i donā€™t find anything wrong or bad about this association and i think i would be okay explaining she was not named after him

• would you still use this exact spelling of the name?

i also feel [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] feels/looks the most feminine with the drawn out [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] but it isnā€™t my favourite spelling. will [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] or [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] have pronunciation or spelling issues, or because of the connection to the tennis player will it be fine in Aus

• do you see any perceived pronunciation issues with [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] vs [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] vs [name_m]Layton[/name_m]?

I like [name_m]Layton[/name_m]. Second pick would be [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is my favorite spelling for a girl!

1 Like

I think [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is more feminine than [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m], and Iā€™ve never seen [name_m]Layton[/name_m] be used. Itā€™s a very preppy and trendy feeling name to me, although I donā€™t think itā€™s really that popular. I donā€™t perceive pronunciation issues with [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] or [name_m]Layton[/name_m], and I think [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] is fairly intuitive to pronounce but may be difficult for people to remember how to spell.

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] for a girl & [name_m]Layton[/name_m] for a boy. Iā€™ve never seen [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] before but it looks interesting and I wouldnā€™t have any trouble pronouncing it.

2 Likes

Yes, these are my thoughts exactly.

1 Like

I am not Australian, so I do not know about the soccer player. I like [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] on a girl, Iā€™ve always though ā€œ[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]ā€¦ā€ looks feminine and pretty. I think I would probably initially spell this lame as [name_m]Layton[/name_m], but I do not think the pronunciation is difficult. I really like the sound of the name!

1 Like

[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is my favourite spelling!

1 Like

thanks for all your replies! i thought the same thing about the ā€œ[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]ā€ looks and feels more feminine but that doesnā€™t bother me about [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m]. i havenā€™t heard of [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester, i wonder if that would be more of a connection over [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] [name_m]Hewitt[/name_m] - if you werenā€™t a sporting fanā€¦

[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] seems the most feminine to me. Iā€™d also point out that the ā€˜Llā€™ is pronounced differently in different languages, so you might get some interesting variations on the name if you go with [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m]!

1 Like

[name_m]Layton[/name_m] seems the most straight foward to me

1 Like

For a girl, I prefer [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. Otherwise, if it were a boy, I would go for [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m].

1 Like

I would use [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] just looks the prettiest and itā€™s how I would spell the name

1 Like

Go with the spelling you like the best, I like the look of [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] though Iā€™m more familiar with [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] because of the actress [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester, as I am a lady of a certain age.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. I have only ever seen [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] used for a girl. [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester comes to mind for me as well (Gossip Girl). Iā€™m Canadian and we had a politician with the last name [name_m]Layton[/name_m], so I associate that as a more masculine spelling. I havenā€™t seen [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] before. All the best!

1 Like

I personally dislike the name, although this may be due to a not so nice place near where I live being called [name_m]Leyton[/name_m].

[name_m]Layton[/name_m] looks pretty ugly, in my opinion, to put it bluntly and [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is very much a boys name in my head. I would use [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m].

1 Like

Iā€™m not really a fan of [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m]. Seems like an extra letter for no reason.

I like [name_m]Layton[/name_m], because itā€™s pretty straightforward, and it would rarely be mispronounced.
I also like [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], although some may mispronounce it and say [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ton.
Have you thought about [name_m]Leyton[/name_m]?

1 Like

I prefer the [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] spelling. The double L in [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] just isnā€™t very attractive to me, and I think [name_m]Layton[/name_m] looks the most masculine.

I was familiar with the actress [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester, but before I heard her name pronounced, I thought it was [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ton. However, as people are more familiar with her, I think the pronunciation becomes less of an issue.

1 Like

i have and did but i donā€™t really like it unfortunatelyā€¦

iā€™m torn between [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m] and [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] but i guess it will be a decision for the future! thanks for all your wonderful help!

[name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. Thatā€™s the only spelling I am familiar with, thanks to [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester.