The name Lex for boy #2

Was never crazy about the name [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] because of its popularity (growing up I knew so many boys and girls with the name [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and I have many friends today with this name). But in searching for a name for baby boy #2 (a brother for our son [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u]) I’ve come to see it in a new light, but ONLY when used as its full name of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and the nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u]. (Do not like [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Xander[/name_m] or any of the other [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nicknames).

Was hoping for some feedback.

PROS:
—I love that it’s classic, historic, and strong (like [name_u]Julian[/name_u]). It feels old world, traditional and handsome and holds up to our (rather long) last name.
—I love the nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u] because it is uncommon, modern and brings such a fresh and unexpected lightness to a traditional/formal name. Our son goes by [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and I think [name_u]Lex[/name_u] fits right in. [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] feel like a good sib set to me.

CONS:
—Struggling with the fact that I’d be naming my son a name that has a nickname ([name_u]Alex[/name_u]) that is so common and that I feel so “blah” about. In that way it feels unoriginal. Also, would we always have to correct people from calling him [name_u]Alex[/name_u]?
—We easily transition from [name_u]Julian[/name_u] to [name_u]Jules[/name_u] when we refer to our son…but from [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to [name_u]Lex[/name_u]? Probably not. So I’m assuming we would end up only calling him [name_u]Lex[/name_u] - which I absolutely love - but does this seem kind of cut short when our other son is the more complete and elegant name of [name_u]Julian[/name_u]?

Our other top choice is “[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]” - and we love it but the big con there is the no nickname and the (very annoying) fact that it has become so popular as a girls name. Not a huge deterrent for me, but I do predict he’ll go to school with many girl ‘[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]’s” based on the trends of our area.

They pair very well! [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is so handsome and cool! I wouldn’t worry about him being called [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. It’s a quick correction to make.

1 Like

Alexander is classic and sturdy but i admit i find it slightly unexciting. [name_u]Lex[/name_u] does brighten it though and it’s a cool nickname!
One thing i do think you have to consider is would you mind if he decided he wanted to go by [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_m]Xander[/name_m] (which is a possibility)

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u]! [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] is on my short list, & the ‘[name_u]Dash[/name_u]’ is the best part. Anyway, great job there.

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] & [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Lex[/name_u] both seem perfect for brothers. I think that since [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is so different from [name_u]Alex[/name_u], he shouldn’t get called [name_u]Alex[/name_u] against your will. I like the name [name_m]Albert[/name_m] a lot, but am not a huge fan of [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_m]Albie[/name_m]. Those are such natural nns, that they may be hard to avoid. Or if you wanted to name your son [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] nn [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], but hated [name_m]Tim[/name_m]. That probably wouldn’t work. But again, since [name_u]Lex[/name_u] & [name_u]Alex[/name_u] are from different ends of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], it shouldn’t be an issue.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other suggestions (which doesn’t alleviate any problems, just a suggestion!) is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m]. It’s slightly more of a stretch, but sounds so cool.

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] would be super nice as a brother to [name_u]Julian[/name_u], & I don’t think that it’s that popular for girls. It really doesn’t have any natural nns other than [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] though, which are indeed popular for girls.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] isn’t for you, maybe [name_m]Felix[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u]?

2 Likes

First thing first I want to say that [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u] is absolutely amazing, I really love it.

Otherwise, [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u] does nothing for me, unfortunately. [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is a name I thought was amazing as a teenager and has now lost its luster, and I know more Alexanders than any other boy name, I think. I do like [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]/Sacha as a nn for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] though, and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] sounds great to me. I also like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] a whole lot, and both [name_u]Julian[/name_u] & [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] sound good to me. It doesn’t really need a nickname, but if it’s important to you, [name_u]Eli[/name_u] would work well, and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Eli[/name_u] sound like brothers too.

1 Like

What about just [name_u]Lex[/name_u] as a full name? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] or [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] sound great together!

1 Like

I know of one 4 year old boy whose middle name is [name_u]Lex[/name_u], not short for anything. I think it could work as a first name or as a nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as well. I quite like it.

1 Like

I have a son called [name_u]Julian[/name_u]! I too like the name [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Julian[/name_u] go well together.

Lex is a super cool nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], as [name_m]Xander[/name_m]. I agree with @lyrasoxford on [name_m]Felix[/name_m] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. I have a friend who named her son this they call him [name_u]Eli[/name_u]

Perhaps [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u]

Felix is a great option too

1 Like

I think [name_u]Lex[/name_u] for a boy is wonderful! Also goes well w [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. I also like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] but I think it’s tipping to the girls. I like s ending names what about [name_m]Silas[/name_m], hollis or atlas?

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! I suppose we could do [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] with a nn of [name_u]Lex[/name_u] and solve all the issues that way! :laughing: It actually has a nice ring to it and many people in my family have gone by their middle names as nn (including our son who we often call [name_u]Dash[/name_u], which is his middle name, because it was his grandfather’s name and we love honoring it).

2 Likes

Julian [name_u]Dash[/name_u] is amazing ! And congratulations on baby number 2!

Lex is such a great nickname. But you really won’t be able to control nicknames. When they’re little you can, but it will eventually be out of your hands. With that being said… use [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and just keep pushing [name_u]Lex[/name_u] as much as you can if you love it ! Otherwise, [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is incredible!!!

Or what about [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]? With nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u]? [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]?

1 Like