The name Lex for boy #2

Was never crazy about the name [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] because of its popularity (growing up I knew so many boys and girls with the name [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and I have many friends today with this name). But in searching for a name for baby boy #2 (a brother for our son [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u]) I’ve come to see it in a new light, but ONLY when used as its full name of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and the nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u]. (Do not like [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Xander[/name_m] or any of the other [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nicknames).

Was hoping for some feedback.

PROS:
—I love that it’s classic, historic, and strong (like [name_u]Julian[/name_u]). It feels old world, traditional and handsome and holds up to our (rather long) last name.
—I love the nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u] because it is uncommon, modern and brings such a fresh and unexpected lightness to a traditional/formal name. Our son goes by [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and I think [name_u]Lex[/name_u] fits right in. [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] feel like a good sib set to me.

CONS:
—Struggling with the fact that I’d be naming my son a name that has a nickname ([name_u]Alex[/name_u]) that is so common and that I feel so “blah” about. In that way it feels unoriginal. Also, would we always have to correct people from calling him [name_u]Alex[/name_u]?
—We easily transition from [name_u]Julian[/name_u] to [name_u]Jules[/name_u] when we refer to our son…but from [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to [name_u]Lex[/name_u]? Probably not. So I’m assuming we would end up only calling him [name_u]Lex[/name_u] - which I absolutely love - but does this seem kind of cut short when our other son is the more complete and elegant name of [name_u]Julian[/name_u]?

Our other top choice is “[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]” - and we love it but the big con there is the no nickname and the (very annoying) fact that it has become so popular as a girls name. Not a huge deterrent for me, but I do predict he’ll go to school with many girl ‘[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]’s” based on the trends of our area.

They pair very well! [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is so handsome and cool! I wouldn’t worry about him being called [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. It’s a quick correction to make.

1 Like

Alexander is classic and sturdy but i admit i find it slightly unexciting. [name_u]Lex[/name_u] does brighten it though and it’s a cool nickname!
One thing i do think you have to consider is would you mind if he decided he wanted to go by [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_m]Xander[/name_m] (which is a possibility)

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u]! [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] is on my short list, & the ‘[name_u]Dash[/name_u]’ is the best part. Anyway, great job there.

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] & [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Lex[/name_u] both seem perfect for brothers. I think that since [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is so different from [name_u]Alex[/name_u], he shouldn’t get called [name_u]Alex[/name_u] against your will. I like the name [name_m]Albert[/name_m] a lot, but am not a huge fan of [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_m]Albie[/name_m]. Those are such natural nns, that they may be hard to avoid. Or if you wanted to name your son [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] nn [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], but hated [name_m]Tim[/name_m]. That probably wouldn’t work. But again, since [name_u]Lex[/name_u] & [name_u]Alex[/name_u] are from different ends of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], it shouldn’t be an issue.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other suggestions (which doesn’t alleviate any problems, just a suggestion!) is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m]. It’s slightly more of a stretch, but sounds so cool.

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] would be super nice as a brother to [name_u]Julian[/name_u], & I don’t think that it’s that popular for girls. It really doesn’t have any natural nns other than [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] though, which are indeed popular for girls.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] isn’t for you, maybe [name_m]Felix[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u]?

2 Likes

First thing first I want to say that [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u] is absolutely amazing, I really love it.

Otherwise, [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u] does nothing for me, unfortunately. [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is a name I thought was amazing as a teenager and has now lost its luster, and I know more Alexanders than any other boy name, I think. I do like [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]/Sacha as a nn for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] though, and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] sounds great to me. I also like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] a whole lot, and both [name_u]Julian[/name_u] & [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] sound good to me. It doesn’t really need a nickname, but if it’s important to you, [name_u]Eli[/name_u] would work well, and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_u]Eli[/name_u] sound like brothers too.

1 Like

What about just [name_u]Lex[/name_u] as a full name? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] or [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Lex[/name_u] sound great together!

1 Like

I know of one 4 year old boy whose middle name is [name_u]Lex[/name_u], not short for anything. I think it could work as a first name or as a nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as well. I quite like it.

1 Like

I have a son called [name_u]Julian[/name_u]! I too like the name [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Julian[/name_u] go well together.

Lex is a super cool nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], as [name_m]Xander[/name_m]. I agree with @lyrasoxford on [name_m]Felix[/name_m] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. I have a friend who named her son this they call him [name_u]Eli[/name_u]

Perhaps [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] nn [name_u]Lex[/name_u]

Felix is a great option too

1 Like

I think [name_u]Lex[/name_u] for a boy is wonderful! Also goes well w [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. I also like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] but I think it’s tipping to the girls. I like s ending names what about [name_m]Silas[/name_m], hollis or atlas?

1 Like

You reminded me of the name [name_u]Lex[/name_u], so thank you for that!

I think [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is a great name, by himself or as a nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u] (fantastic name!) goes very well with [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. It’s true, [name_u]Lex[/name_u] is less intuitive than [name_u]Alex[/name_u], but if you’re mainly calling him [name_u]Lex[/name_u], I’m sure most people will follow. [name_u]Lex[/name_u] does feel a bit abrupt next to the romantic [name_u]Julian[/name_u], but that’s not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

Ellis is another great choice that pairs nicely with [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. It’s funny, because I do see it talked about more for girls online, but it ranks way higher in usage for males in the US and UK (way, way higher in the UK!).

Either choice would be great!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! I suppose we could do [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] with a nn of [name_u]Lex[/name_u] and solve all the issues that way! :laughing: It actually has a nice ring to it and many people in my family have gone by their middle names as nn (including our son who we often call [name_u]Dash[/name_u], which is his middle name, because it was his grandfather’s name and we love honoring it).

2 Likes

Julian [name_u]Dash[/name_u] is amazing ! And congratulations on baby number 2!

Lex is such a great nickname. But you really won’t be able to control nicknames. When they’re little you can, but it will eventually be out of your hands. With that being said… use [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and just keep pushing [name_u]Lex[/name_u] as much as you can if you love it ! Otherwise, [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is incredible!!!

Or what about [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]? With nickname [name_u]Lex[/name_u]? [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]?

1 Like