The name Summer, etc

My partner and I think [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is a very pretty name. We also like it because it’s less conventional. A unique and pretty name works for us. But [name_f]Summer[/name_f] also feels like a name only hippies can call their daughter - nothing against them but we are not hippies. Logically the answer here is to get over our societal bias which is influencing our hesitation. But it’s not that easy and often following your gut is the right choice. Any thoughts or words of wisdom? If you’re curious, other names on our list are [name_f]Zoey[/name_f], MacKenzie, [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (yes, we like these together), and [name_u]Reilly[/name_u] (my mother’s maiden name but I went to my niece’s graduation last night and there were at least four [name_u]Riley[/name_u]’s in her class). We love [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] but those are all “taken” by friends/family. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner likes [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] but I’m struggling with those. We’re very happy to be having a girl but we were a lot more solid with boy names : )

Summer is in the top 200 in Australia, [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], [name_f]England[/name_f], [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand, and the U.S. so if you live in any of those places it’s not too out there at all!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is a beautiful name with lots of positive connotations. I went to high school with a girl named [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and she didn’t come from a family of “hippies”.

I actually associate [name_f]Summer[/name_f] with southern/country folks… And blondes :woman_shrugging:t2:

If you like the name because it makes you think of brightness and happiness, perhaps there are other names with a similar vibe that you would prefer?

https://nameberry.com/list/423/Summer-[name_u]Baby[/name_u]-Names?all=1

Go with [name_f]Summer[/name_f]! It’s the name that you really love, & I wouldn’t worry about it being associated w/being a hippie name. It’s just a pretty name w/lovely warm sunny imagery. I’m a huge summer person, so I may be biased. Maybe why I find the names [name_u]Snow[/name_u] & [name_u]Winter[/name_u] far less appealing. :joy: The other names on your list seem a bit trendy, over done &/or sort of boyish to me. [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is a breath of warm ocean breeze fresh air. :heart_eyes:

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

Summer is a beautiful name, I say go for it! If not I like [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] a lot too.

I think the name brings up positive imagery for all manner of people. You could go with a classic middle to tilt it a bit toward conventionality:
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is actually pretty mainstream! I don’t associate it with hippies or hippie culture at all. As others have said, I associate it more with the season and the warm, sunny imagery that brings.

1 Like

I knew a [name_f]Summer[/name_f] growing up—very much not a hippie family—and I’ve never considered it particularly Bohemian. It seems sweet and rather girl-next-door to me. Go for it!

I’m from the UK and I love the name. [name_f]My[/name_f] only hang up is, with a name like summer I would be inclined to think the baby was born in the summer that’s all.

[name_f]Summer[/name_f] is not out there at all. I know lots of people with daughters called [name_f]Summer[/name_f] who aren’t hippies I think [name_f]Summer[/name_f] works for everyone :heart:

Summer is lovely! Fresh, warm and bright. I don’t think it’s too hippy at all. [name_f]Zoey[/name_f] is also nice! You might like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] too

Summer is a lovely name! Sweet, colorful, warm, fun and adventurous!

I taught two [name_f]Summers[/name_f] in my class of 30 this year (UK), so definitely not too out there. It’s recognisable, has a common spelling and is relatively well-known.

1 Like