The Quick Poll Thread, Volume 3!

[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_u]Sky[/name_u] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]! Not often I get the feels for boy names :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

[name_f]Vaila[/name_f] goes best with the rest of the siblings. There’s that “ail”, similar to [name_f]Opal[/name_f]. There’s the obvious long-a sound, like in [name_u]Sage[/name_u].
And like others have said, it’s a minor character. That doesn’t mean you don’t have to worry about it, but it’s not a huge deal if you change your mind halfway through.
Also, I just think [name_f]Vaila[/name_f] is more intuitive, but either way, it’s all fine!

1 Like

Thank you for this! I might revise my accent challenge using it!

1 Like

which of these sibsets works better?

• leo, beck, & sage
  • theo, beck, & sage
0 voters

rate each sibset based off of general cohesiveness

leo, beck, & sage
0 voters
theo, beck, & sage
0 voters

That was one of the more interesting part of my [name_f]English[/name_f] linguistics class and learning IPA was one of the most useful things that I would recommend to everyone who is interested in languages!
What is an accent challenge?

1 Like

The Namebery Accent Challenge started back in 2014, and I decided to make my own version when I became a Berry early last year! I then revised my version some time later. I also created a names version, which I also revised some time later! I hope you enjoy it! :smiley:

3 Likes

Also the X files!!

2 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was just having this conversation with my SO and thought I’d weigh in. There’s a city in the Latin American country I live in called Tela, and I was asking him why so many people from the US call it Tay-la. In Spanish that strong -ay sound would be spelled more like Teila.

After a lengthy back in forth with me saying Tela over and over again, and my SO asking, “what’s the difference”, my conclusion is that [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers would pronounce a soft -el with the tips of their tongues on the alveolar ridge but Spanish speakers would put the tips of their tongues back on the roof of the mouth😅

So I can see why it sounds like an -ay sometimes.

2 Likes

could Leo and Theo work as twins?
(this is for a uc, not real kids !! so the names getting confused irl doesn’t apply)

• yes
  • if you really want to
  • no, the rhyming ruins it
  • no, for another reason (@ me)
0 voters

if you really want to for sure !!! but i definitely think the sounds are so similar it would have the potential to be confusing

1 Like

@w8src these are so interesting, thank you for the links. It’s so fun to analyse your own speech!

@jk_garrison I think you might be right and people try to find similar sounds in the language they’re familiar with. And I think learning to speak a language is always better than not learning to speak a language or only focusing on your pronunciation - as long as people can understand you, you’re good (though I wish I could get my Spanish R sound, haha).
I just find it funny when people insist (which no one here did) on a “wrong” pronunciation of a name (looking at you [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] - gee-ah-na) or use an accent that is not native to their language to get a “wrong” sound (AmĂ©lie - a-may-lee). But that’s really just my personal opinion.

1 Like

eh, I wouldn’t do it unless both have longer names (Leonardo and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], for example). Especially for twins, rhyming bothers me a lot, so that’s why I voted no.

4 Likes

I don’t particularly like the rhyming but it’s not horrible, I think it’d be cool if they had super long elegant first names with the sweet spunky nicknames

1 Like

Are any of these combos taken?

Boys
  • Ezra Theodore
  • Everett Caspian
  • Wyatt Peregrine
  • Malcolm Ambrose
  • Henry Isaac
  • Alexander Hayes
  • Percival Adrian
  • Samuel Callahan
  • Oliver Calvin
  • You’re good!

0 voters

Girls
  • Heather Adelaide
  • Avery Caroline
  • Alice Taylor
  • You’re good!

0 voters

• april
  • dahlia
  • daisy
  • dorothea
  • dorothy
  • lily
  • marigold
  • may
  • mei
  • primrose
  • rosemarie
  • rosemary
  • violet

0 voters

My mom just told me about a woman she knew named Dorothy who went by Ditty, and I thought it was kinda cute so

Dorothy nn Ditty?
  • Yea
  • Nay

0 voters

siblings imogene & dante*
  • it’s cute!
  • i like it for you!
  • uh, hallie? weird sibset, okay?
  • not a fan. at all. period.

0 voters

*disclaimer that even if everyone hates it i’m still going to love it

Select all your favourites!

• Ambrose
  • August
  • Bellamy
  • Casper
  • Dorian
  • Emery
  • Forest
  • Phoenix
  • Roland
  • Thorin
  • Wesley
  • Zander

0 voters

• Joanna
  • Joanne

0 voters

• Raina
  • Joanna

0 voters

I love both Miri and Mim for Miriam but I’m not sure which I prefer.

nn for miriam?
  • miri
  • mim

0 voters

if you could only pick one
  • miri
  • mim

0 voters