usability is not a factor

pns i’m using:
ananke = uh-nahn-kee
mneme = nee-mee
lysithea = first syllable pronounced like the word “lie”

• ananke lysithea
  • mneme lysithea

0 voters

I was originally going to use the dot (second from the bottom) to separate my combos when I first added them to my UC, but I’m not sure how to create that dot symbol! So I ended up using the line (at the bottom).

1 Like

I just (like 10 minutes ago) became obsessed with Sally. :heart_eyes: Help me choose some faves since I am currently lobbying for Baby #2. (All MNs are family/honor names. Both sides frequently use maiden names/family last names in the MN spot, which we did for our first daughter, but we aren’t set on that.)

• Sally Beatrice
  • Sally Claire
  • Sally Eleanor
  • Sally Margaret
  • Sally Virginia
  • Sally Baker
  • Sally Christian
  • Sally Marion
  • Sally Haynes
  • Sally Frances
  • Sally Ann
  • Sally Belle
  • Sally Winter

0 voters

Related: do you prefer Sarah nn Sally?

• Sarah nn Sally
  • Just use Sally

0 voters

Sorry to anyone who already voted— I was on a time crunch, so I forgot to add finish adding a few of the pronunciations!

Which names feel the most “summery” to you?

Pronunciations

Auli’i | OW-lee-ee
Avonlea | AV-un-lee (‘a’ as in apple)
Dahlia | DAHW-lee-uh
Io | EYE-oh
Ione | EYE-oh-nee
Katalina | kat-uh-LEEN-uh
Kiku | KEE-koo
Lilja | LIL-yuh
Venilia | ven-EEL-ee-uh

• Auli’i
  • Avonlea
  • Calla
  • Dahlia
  • Emerald
  • Io
  • Ione
  • Juliet
  • Katalina
  • Kiku
  • Lilja
  • Nim
  • Ophelia
  • Poppy
  • Sirena
  • Venilia
  • Other (@me)

0 voters

As the self-proclaimed queen of nicknames, I have several ideas!

[name_f]Sia[/name_f]
[name_u]Zia[/name_u]
[name_u]Stacy[/name_u] (if you like it; sorry, it may not be your style)
[name_u]Tay[/name_u]
[name_f]Tasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Atty[/name_f]?
[name_f]Nia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tia[/name_f]
Azzy

1 Like

The only reason [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] feels summery to me though is because of its similarity to juillet, the [name_u]French[/name_u] word for [name_u]July[/name_u], which I always misread as [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] on first glance when I looked at it in my high school french classroom lol. Otherwise, the colors on it are pretty wintry actually!

3 Likes
Rose- names (Part 1)
  • Rose
  • Rosa
  • Rosalind
  • Rosamund
  • Rosabel/Rosabelle
  • Rosabella

0 voters

Rose- Names (Part 2)
  • Rosalie
  • Rosalia
  • Rosemary
  • Roseanne
  • Rosanna

0 voters

yeah, same. It reminds me of [name_u]July[/name_u], but the colors, imagery, and sensory imagery it brings to mind are early spring stuff :grin:

1 Like

Ooh, I like [name_u]Tay[/name_u]! [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was the third syllable of how I say it, kinda like stayj or stayzh (with the last sound like the s in measure) but as you can see, I have no idea how to spell that lol so it wouldn’t work. [name_u]Tay[/name_u] is a good compromise though! Also like [name_f]Nia[/name_f] or [name_f]Tia[/name_f] a lot.

1 Like

Rosemarie! So many people on here seem to love Rosemary, but I love Rosemarie, and it doesn’t get nearly as much attention.

4 Likes

Which feels like the most natural pet name/ “I have to get your attention now but you have a long full name” name for Anastasia?

• Nat
  • Taz
  • Tay
  • Tia
  • Nia

0 voters

Which ones would you easily recognize as being used to refer to Anastasia if you read it in a book?

• Nat
  • Taz
  • Tay
  • Tia
  • Nia

0 voters

If none, either lmk or vote for the one(s) that would confuse you the least

1 Like

Tbh, none of them make me think [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] just by looking at them.

I think [name_f]Ana[/name_f] or [name_f]Sia[/name_f] would be a short intuitive nickname so I’ll vote Tia/Nia though neither really make sense to me

4 Likes

Would you consider [name_u]Naz[/name_u] as a nn ?

1 Like

I feel like [name_u]Tay[/name_u] makes the most sense when hearing the name, while [name_u]Nat[/name_u] only makes sense to me when reading it. Apart from those, I think as a one-syllable nickname [name_m]Stas[/name_m] (short A) would also work.
However, I also think the nickname choice depends on who gave her the name. I suppose her parents would have gone with a more natural nickname, so [name_u]Tay[/name_u] or [name_f]Ana[/name_f] rather than [name_u]Nat[/name_u] (unless they were Berries and went the [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u] route), while [name_u]Nat[/name_u] totally makes sense if she came up with the nickname herself or was given it later in life.

2 Likes

Which ones are most interesting to you (usability doesn’t matter at all)?

• Acantha
  • Adrastea
  • Aglaia
  • Amabilia
  • Anthea
  • Apollonia
  • Ariadne
  • Artemisia
  • Asterope
  • Atalanta
  • Athanasia

0 voters

@anon73451839 i don’t like [name_f]Ana[/name_f] and I don’t think it works for the character, that’s why I said it wasn’t an option in an earlier poll, and [name_f]Sia[/name_f] doesn’t make sense for how I pronounce it :confused: but I did consider those.

@Babies123456 [name_u]Naz[/name_u] is a good idea!

@OpheliaFlora my first thought was something like stayj or stayzh (last sound like the s in measure) but I don’t think there’s a good way to spell that lol. [name_m]Stas[/name_m] works but it doesn’t look like how I pronounce the full name, if that makes sense? Basically, I pronounce it ann-uh-STAY-zhuh but I’m not gonna get fussy if people pronounce it other ways, but I don’t wanna suggest that it’s pronounced differently, if that makes any sense at all lol.

I was thinking about who would use the nickname earlier and I think it’s one her partner (in work and life lol) would use naturally and others would copy if they heard them say it first. So it would’ve come from her partner probably needing to get her attention immediately because something was on fire or something and they didn’t have time to say her full name.

2 Likes

That makes sense! In that case I really like the suggestion of Nas / Naz, something that feels natural both in writing and pronunciation while still being short and to-the-point (and also sounding pretty cool).

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], I see. I think while a bit longer than you may be looking for, [name_f]Stasia[/name_f] would be my go-to nickname

2 Likes

Which of these work as a nickname for Nechama?

• Nina
  • Nora
  • Nomi
  • Nell
  • Nima
  • Neta
  • None of these work

0 voters

Which do you think works best, especially if this baby is raised in Israel?

• Nina
  • Nora
  • Nomi
  • Nell
  • Nima
  • Neta

0 voters