The Quick Poll Thread, Volume 3!

I feel like [name_u]Nima[/name_u] makes the most sense; maybe [name_u]Nemi[/name_u], [name_f]Nema[/name_f], Nim/Nem, or [name_f]Neima[/name_f] might also work for you.

1 Like

So I asked my great aunt if she knew any weirder names in her fam and she showed me her entire ancestry up to the 1500s it’s was a name nerds dream, here’s some of the more uncommon/unusual ones that I can remember, choose which ever ones you like!

Pronunciations for boys

Dionisio - dee-ohn-ee-see-oh
Saturnino - saht-ur-nee-noh
Casimiro - cahs-ee-mee-do
Inocencio - ee-noh-sehn-see-oh
Leocadio - leh-oh-cah-dyo
Aurelio - awe-rehl-ee-oh

• Dionisio
  • Saturnino
  • Casimiro
  • Inocencio
  • Leocadio
  • Aurelio

0 voters

There was actually a ton of Saturnino’s, Inocencio is my great great grandfather, who raised my great grandma Delia

Pronunciations for girls

Paxadéma - pahx-ah-deh-mah
Octavia - ohk-tah-vya
Sabas - sah-bas
Maria Mateo - mah-hree-ah, mah-teh-oh
La O - lah-oh
Rosalia - roh-sah-lee-ah

• PaxadĂ©ma
  • Octavia nn Sabas
  • Sabas (w/o being a nn)
  • Maria Mateo
  • La O
  • Rosalia

0 voters

Octavia nn Sabas was my grandma Delia’s mom (I have no idea how you get Sabas from Octavia but it’s a legit nickname for it not just a fam nn)

ALSO I just found out, my great grandpa Jaime’s (my great aunts dad) identical twin bro was Santiago. THEY’RE NAMES WERE LITERALLY JAMES AND JAMIE

I’m so happy about those boy names though they’re exactly my style, except maybe not Inocencio but I can appreciate it

12 Likes

I have a similar issue, I named my dog [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and my grandmother’s name is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. I think only name nerds in my area would notice if I used [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], however I would receive comments if I used [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] for my dog and then tried to name my daughter [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], since [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is really common where I live. I think it depends where you live and how adamant you are with nicknames vs non-nicknames.
On the positive side, your pup has an amazing name!

2 Likes
  • Cecilia Margaret
  • Margaret Cecilia

0 voters

Middle names question. Which is best? Middles are honors. I’m not sure I like Rose/Rosemary right next to Iris since it seems very floral together.

• Iris Belinda Rose
  • Iris Belinda Rosemary
  • Iris Belinda Rosemarie

0 voters

1 Like
First for Colette
  • Angela Colette
  • Kira Colette
  • Emma Colette
  • Nora Colette
  • Anna Colette
  • Susannah Colette
  • Isadora Colette
  • Gloria Colette
  • Tabitha Colette
  • Maggie Colette
  • Tamsin Colette
  • Karen Colette
  • Julia Colette
  • Tallulah Colette
  • Cara Colette

0 voters

First for Karen
  • Angela Karen
  • Orla Karen
  • Virginia Karen
  • Emma Karen
  • Dorothy Karen
  • Isadora Karen
  • Gloria Karen
  • Tabitha Karen
  • Juniper Karen
  • Julia Karen
  • Tallulah Karen

0 voters

While I recognize the reference to [name_u]Austen[/name_u] you made, I wouldn’t say any of those names are too [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] because they’re all widely used classics!! I love [name_u]Austen[/name_u], I’ve read almost all of her novels, and even then I would not connect her with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], for example. :relaxed:

7 Likes

While I voted that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is too much [name_u]Austen[/name_u], it was because [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] are sisters in Pride and Prejudice, not because of the connection between [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] & [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] as author & character.

2 Likes

aaaaaaa nix I love them

leocadio ?? casimiro ?? saturnino ??

these are amazing !!

1 Like
samuel ‘sal’
  • makes sense and I like it
  • makes sense but I don’t like it, because sam is better
  • makes sense but I don’t like it, because I don’t like sal
  • doesn’t make sense

0 voters

• samuel is always going to get sam/sammy
  • samuel could be sal

0 voters

I do like Sam and Sammy a lot but I’m loving Sal right now and I realized it could be a nn for Samuel.

does rose aliénor eloise flow right?

aliénor is pronounced ah-lee-ay-NORR

• yes, it’s fine!
  • no, it doesn’t sound right
  • aliĂ©nor doesn’t sound right
  • eloise doesn’t sound right

0 voters

the flow isn’t perfect (rose & eloise run into each other a bit), but they still work for me because of aliĂ©nor in the middle

5 Likes

You should’ve seen my grandpas face when I got excited over [name_m]Dionisio[/name_m] :joy: it was just pure “oh my god my poor grandson” :joy: I love seeing people’s faces when I say I like names like that it’s free serotonin. At least I know they like [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] :woozy_face:

5 Likes

@Strawberry.Bunny I feel like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] has a better flow, but I prefer [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] so I voted for [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

@eagleeyes I feel like [name_u]Sal[/name_u] could work for [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] but it will be something that you’d have to enforce from day one.

@joevermore Aliénor and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] have too much of a sound overlap to be in the same combo.

4 Likes

@golden155 I’ve been watching a show with a character named [name_u]Connie[/name_u], so I’ve developed a bit of a crush on it! I think it matches really well with [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] & Jane!! For [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], and [name_f]Constance[/name_f], it isn’t necessarily that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is too short, it’s that I’m assuming [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would go by [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] and [name_f]Constance[/name_f] would go by [name_u]Connie[/name_u]. so [name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be left out of the nicknames, unless of course, [name_f]Janie[/name_f] is used as well! I know that’s not a very big deal to most people though, I just always prefer when no one is left out!!

@VivienaLunelle123 [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_u]Briar[/name_u] reminds me strongly of [name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to mention it in case you cared!!

@EagleEyes makes sense and I like it, but I think [name_u]Sam[/name_u] is better! [name_u]Sam[/name_u] is just my favorite though, I think [name_u]Sal[/name_u] is very cute for someone else! I also think a [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] could definitely go by [name_u]Sal[/name_u], it just might require a bunch of corrections when someone tries to call him [name_u]Sam[/name_u]!

3 Likes

Makes sense but I don’t like it because I don’t like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] (don’t mind [name_u]Sal[/name_u] though)

1 Like
Beatrice nn Birdie?
  • Its a stretch, but it works
  • LOVE!!!
  • its a stretch, it doesn’t work
  • i prefer the nn Bea
  • Other

0 voters

Hi, I’m trying to pair English names with Hebrew names. While Hebrew names don’t necessarily need to correspond with English names, these children would be raised in Israel and probably called their Hebrew names by most people there but their English names by friends and family in the US and I’d like to make it not TOO confusing for them.

What Hebrew/Yiddish names work for Sascha Lev? (B)

• Zalman Lev
  • Shaul Lev
  • Simcha Lev
  • Elisha Lev
  • Lev ______
  • Shai ______
  • None of these make any sense
  • I have a a different idea

0 voters

If you had to choose one

• Zalman Lev
  • Shaul Lev