The Teaser Game

Her green eyes seemed to bore into my soul, painting on layers of pressure and stress. “I was going to tell my mom something,” I admitted. It wasn’t a lie, but rather an omission. Flexing my newfound confidence, I opened my shoulders and asked, “Why are you in the hall?”

Next: layer

The queen had left the curtains open hoping to benefit from tonight’s full moon. Her efforts were in vain, it seemed, because the windowpane was completely blanketed in a thick layer of frost.

Next word: frost

There was a stark difference in how her cousins treated her, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] thought. [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] avoided speaking with her when one of her ‘frost phases’ started, but [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] stuck to her like glue even when she acted so cold that if such a thing was possible she’d have frozen him solid.

Next word: avoid

“How about England?” [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] suggested.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] pretended to think over the idea, when truly she knew what her answer would be; ever since [name_m]Alan[/name_m], she had avoided British men like the plague

Next: Plague

[name_u]Amari[/name_u] knew that he was screwed the moment she got into a screaming match with [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_m]Elton[/name_m]. Not even a week later everyone had already started avoiding him like the plague.

Next: scream/screaming

The crew stood in stunned silence for just a moment, before the beast helped itself to a generous piece of the bowsprit, spitting out jagged shards of splintered wood. After that, all hell broke loose, and the sailors began running amok and screaming wildly.

Next word: wild

I was serene… The wilderness, the river, was music to my ears.

Splash, a fish jumped out of the river, in what appeared to be an attempt at a vogue.

I had to laugh. It seemed so free… I would do anything to get into its shoes.

[name_u]Or[/name_u], fins.

“Lima Jayde!!’’ I heard my sister, [name_f]Anwen[/name_f], call.

Next: [name_m]Crow[/name_m]

“I can never tell,” [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] frowned, glancing at the bird perched on Delphi’s shoulder. “Is that a crow or a raven?”
“A raven,” [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] muttered, sounding rather annoyed. She supposed that made sense – she’d been left alone with the boy for the best part of an hour.

Next word: perch

1 Like

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] was perched on the edge of the table, as far away from [name_m]Grant[/name_m] and Evonny as possible.

Next: possible

“Forgive me, your highness, for the intrusion, but it appears to be in Imogen’s handwriting.” Oswald’s hand trembles just enough to show his unease as he passes the neatly folded letter to Helene. “I thought it best that you be informed as soon as possible since you have expressed concern over her whereabouts.”

next word – concern

Why–the questions tugged at my brain. Why was I here? Why couldn’t I remember anything before this moment? However strong my concerns were, I wasn’t scared. Maybe I should’ve been, but for some reason, I wasn’t.

next word: scared

I glanced at the house, feeling my heart sink. It sounds stupid, but I’ve always had a sort of… thing about bungalows. I’m not scared of them, that would really be ridiculous, but there’s just something that… makes me feel unsafe.

Next word: sink

1 Like

He shook his head, rolling his eyes. “Do I look like a rule follower to you?” He let that sink in for a moment, before continuing, “When’s this meeting over?”

Next: roll

1 Like

[name_m]Ernest[/name_m] merely rolled his eyes, and easily hoisted himself up and over the ledge, before rolling onto his back.

Next word: back

Almost as soon as the words had left my mouth, I wanted to take them back. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] was staring at me in horror, looking like she wanted nothing more than to be able to stand up and scream at me. [name_u]June[/name_u] was clenching her fists, glancing around the kitchen at total random, unable to locate anyone’s position in the silence.
And Ash…
[name_u]Ash[/name_u] cleared her throat, face pale. “I know I’m not your sister, [name_u]Willow[/name_u]. You don’t have to remind me.”
And like a fool, I said nothing.

Next word: pale

After the sun had set over the ocean’s horizon, I emerged from the boat. I hurried across the beach and down the road irradiated by pale moonlight. [name_f]My[/name_f] excitement fueled my legs as I ran beside the trees; they passed in a gray blur, their whispers silenced by the wind.

next word: whispers

“Lance?” [name_f]Melody[/name_f] whispered softly, shaking him awake, “You’re still in bed?”

Next: still

Of course, I tried not to blame Ellory. But the rage was still there, lurking beneath the surface. I just wasn’t sure when it would boil over.

Next: boil

She sighed, and turned back to the stove where the kettle sat. “Amara, Amara, Amara. What willI we do with you?” Gran said as she poured the boiling hot water into a teacup.

Next word: Kettle

The electric kettle clinked, and [name_f]Oceana[/name_f] stood on tiptoe to get her favorite mug from the shelf.

Next word: Dress