The twins' names are going to be irish..

my husband was sooooo excited to learn that i’m finally coming around on the irish thing. the more i think about it, the more i love the idea of irish names for our daughters…
so we’ve decided to scratch our other ideas and just work on the irish name combo…
the original combo was [name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Cailin[/name] & [name]Keeley[/name] [name]Ryann[/name]
which i was ok with… but i wasn’t hugely excited about it…
[name]Cailin[/name] and [name]Keeley[/name] can go, but we HAVE to use [name]Caoimhe[/name] for one twin as that name is VERY special to DH. we would like to use [name]Ryann[/name] for the other twin, maybe as a mn, but DH isn’t as attatched to it… we both like [name]Ryann[/name], but are staying open minded in case something comes along that we like better.
i checked the popular names in ireland… so based on all my research, these are some other irish names that we’ve come up with::
Cadhla - dh likes… i [name]LOVE[/name]!!
[name]Niamh[/name] - like, but according to my research, is pretty popular in ireland
Saorla - [name]LOVE[/name]!
Liadan - [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] & dh likes
[name]Eimear[/name] - dh loves
[name]Aoife[/name] - we both adore the name, but it’s far too popular!
[name]Dierdre[/name] - another family name dh likes, but i’m not feeling it
[name]Roisin[/name] - i like, he does not
[name]Darcy[/name] - we’re both on the fence about this one
Aibhlinn or Eihhleann - we both adore this one but can’t agree which version to use
[name]Grainne[/name] - dh’s mother LOVES!!
[name]Keela[/name] or [name]Keeley[/name] - dh thinks it’s cute
[name]Iona[/name] - i love this one!!
[name]Saoirse[/name] - we both like this one, but again, fairly popular.

[name]Hi[/name], I’m not a huge fan of Irish names but I’ll try my best with some suggestions, since most of my family have Irish names. :slight_smile:
Cadhla - Not a fan of
[name]Niamh[/name] - Really like this one its my cousins name so I’m biased, very popular in [name]Ireland[/name] but a lovely name:)
Saorla - Dislike
Liadan - Not really
[name]Eimear[/name] - Ok name
[name]Aoife[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it but I’m biased again
[name]Dierdre[/name] - I’m not feeling it either, not my cup of tea
[name]Roisin[/name] - Nah
[name]Darcy[/name] - Realy like this name so adorable
Aibhlinn or Eihhleann - dont like
[name]Grainne[/name] - dh’s mother LOVES!!
[name]Keela[/name] or [name]Keeley[/name] - [name]Keeley[/name] is cute
[name]Iona[/name] - [name]How[/name] about the name ”na or [name]Oonagh[/name]?
[name]Saoirse[/name] - [name]Sorcha[/name]?

Heres few suggestions
[name]Aisling[/name]
[name]Ailbhe[/name]
[name]Aideen[/name]
[name]Aoibheann[/name]
Aven
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Cassidy[/name] (would go great with name [name]Darcy[/name])
[name]Ciara[/name]
Cl”ona
[name]Clodagh[/name]
[name]Delma[/name]
[name]Doreen[/name]
Eadaoin
[name]Eavan[/name]
[name]Eilish[/name]
[name]Enya[/name]
[name]Finola[/name] (nn nola or finn)
[name]Keagan[/name]
[name]Kealin[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Kelan[/name]
[name]Kerry[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Maire[/name]
[name]Mairead[/name]
[name]Noreen[/name]
[name]Nuala[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]/[name]Orlaith[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Reagan[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Riona[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]
[name]Sinead[/name]
[name]Siobhan[/name]
Siofra
[name]Tara[/name]
[name]Teagan[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Una[/name]

A friend recently called her baby [name]Riona[/name] ([name]REE[/name] o na) and coincidentally her sis is [name]Caoimhe[/name] which has become quite popular here in [name]Ireland[/name] over the last year(it means gentle natured)some people pronounce it KEE-va or QWEE -va depending on your preference.I like both names and think they are a good sibset.Also [name]Riona[/name] as you probably know means queenlike which is lovely too.Good luck.
another unusual name is Realtin pro. rail-teen and means literally little star.

I’m amazed - so many of the names you listed were also on our long-list for our wee-un due in [name]November[/name] (and, incidentally, my top 2 are both represented between your list and the 2nd poster’s). So I can heartily endorse just about any of them, given that they are so close to my own preferences :slight_smile:

I’d say play around with the combinations awhile, and see what catches you in the heart. Your hubby has a name represented that is emotionally significant to him, so perhaps the 2nd should be one that you fall in love with. Each of the ones on your list would make a gorgeous set with [name]Caoimhe[/name].

I also like the previous poster’s suggestions of [name]Riona[/name] ([name]Rionach[/name]) or Realtin (sorry, I am hopeless at fadas) or Realta. WOrd names are edgy everywhere else, so I can see the idea catching on in [name]Ireland[/name] as well.

Other thoughts, though you’ve got most of the great ones already, for more obscure names:

Geleis (Gell-aysh) - means “bright swan”
Neamh (Nayv) - “heaven” (kind of an Irish [name]Nevaeh[/name], but plays on the familiarity of [name]Niamh[/name] as well).
Siochaina (another route to the meaning “peace”) - I realize this is technically plural, as well as being most associated with the Gardai, but a little creative license gives it a soft, feminine sound.

Best of luck - and do please keep us posted on the final decision. I’m eager to see if we are on the same page in the end! When are you due?

due on january 17th.
i’m good at finding names i like, but i’m having an aweful time putting them together as fn and mn. i didn’t want to use popular names, but [name]Caoimhe[/name] is so special to dh… i don’t want rhyming names… i’d like them to go well together but not be overly matchy. if the first name is going to be difficult, i’d like the middle name to be fairly simple while maintaining the irish theme…
i like [name]Darcy[/name] or [name]Ciara[/name] as mns and i’ve already stated that i’d like to use [name]Ryann[/name]…
would [name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] work? kind of cute, right?
somebody help me out with some combos here!!!

ok… here are some of the combos we came up with, not sure how i feel about these yet… input is welcome and greatly appreciated::

[name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] & Aibhlinn [name]Ciara[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name] Liadin & Aibhlinn [name]Ciara[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Roisin[/name] & Aibhlinn [name]Ryann[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name] Liadan & [name]Dierdre[/name] [name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Ryann[/name] & Saiorse [name]Maeve[/name] (not crazy about [name]Maeve[/name])
[name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Aislinn[/name] & Cadhla [name]Teagan[/name] (we both love bothe these names but they too cutesy and matchy for our taste)

hrm… that’s all we’ve come up with that we could agree on. and neither of us is crazy about any particular combo…
i decided that i’d rather use [name]Aislinn[/name] than [name]Aisling[/name]… i like the double n’s in that and also in [name]Ryann[/name] and Aibhlinn. We both agree that we like [name]Ciara[/name] for a middle name but can’t agree on what to use as a first name…
i like Aibhlinn for the second twin… i think i might be able to bring DH around to it… but not sure… i think [name]Caoimhe[/name] and Aibhlinn is a beautiful combo… but DH is on the fence about all my Aibhlinn names…
someone PLEASE HELP!!

Are you living in [name]Ireland[/name]? My husband is Irish (but we live in the US), our first 2 boys were not named with Irish names. Then I became pregnant with our first girl, and I, yes I, was the one who was pushing for an Irish name. My husband could care less!!! Most of the Irish names are so hard to pronounce for Americans, so we had to be careful. Finally, I chose [name]Alanna[/name].
Two other celtic (I say celtic, b/c I can’t remember if they are Irish or of the Celtic origin) names that I [name]LOVE[/name] are [name]Sorcha[/name] and [name]Catriona[/name]. But my husband won’t budge for either of them.
Good luck!

Btw. That’s the exact day i’m due! But I’ll be having the baby 5-6 weeks early.

my husband is from ireland. we’re currently living in the states, but may be moving within the next couple of years… he was pushing the irish thing… i was iffy about it at first, but now i’m really all for it… i love the idea of honoring his heritage.
spelling and pronounciation don’t concern me… i like the wierd ones. i love how exotic they look and sound… i grew up with a wierd name and, to this day, i love my mom for her creativity…
we just can’t find anything that we agree on. the only one we agree on so far is [name]Caoimhe[/name]… we like [name]Ryann[/name] as a middle name… but can’t agree on a first name.
and because we’re having twins… the task of finding a combo that we both love is just about impossible… but i’m determined that we’re both going to adore both names…

I’m loving your combos - particularly with Aibhlinn, as it’s close to my top pick, [name]Aoibheann[/name]. [name]DO[/name] you prefer the Ai- spelling to the Ei- spelling (Eibhlinn)? I think the Ei- is more accurate for the “AY” sound, while most of the Ai- beginnings are pronounced “EE”. Might want to double check with someone who passed Irish on their Leaving Cert!

I think [name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Ryann[/name] and Aibhlinn/Eibhlinn [name]Darcy[/name] would go well, or the combo of [name]Caoimhe[/name] [name]Aislinn[/name] and Eibhlinn [name]Ryann[/name] (btw, is [name]Ryann[/name] “[name]RY[/name]-an”, or “[name]Ree[/name]-[name]ANN[/name]”?). Either way I think the folw of the names is nice.

A word about [name]Saoirse[/name] - this was one of our top picks as well, but JSYK it’s very politically charged in the [name]North[/name] (we spent 7 years in Belfast, and all our friends have cautioned us about the name). In the South ([name]RoI[/name]), the political overtones are largely ignored, so if that’s you intended homebase won’t be much of an issue.

If I had to choose, I’d say push hubby for Eibhlinn (I think the Ei- spelling if you’re also using [name]Aislinn[/name]), especially since [name]Caoimhe[/name] was “his” pick. Equality in the process, you know!

i checked Aibhlinn is prn like [name]AVE[/name]-[name]LINN[/name]… which is how i had intended… i thought i had it backwards… but that’s what i wanted… i think it sounds really pretty. it’s a gorgeous name… i want DH to like it just as much…
as for “my pick” and “his pick”… if i wanted to veto [name]Caoimhe[/name], i could… but it means a lot to him and i’m actually starting to love it… in fact i’ve already assigned it to one of the twins… (baby B, for those of you interested)
i dunno… DH says i’m being silly… but i think i can tell their personalities a little bit already… baby B moves a lot more than baby A… sometimes i think they’re having wrestling matches in there…
bleh… anyway…
i want us both to love both names equally…
but i am falling in love with Aibhlinn