The Weird and the Wonderful from the 16th/17th/18th Century

I’m a huge genealogy fan, and more than anything I love poring through old baptism records. Here is a sample of interesting names (or ones you wouldn’t expect being used that far back) I have collected, all from [name]Norfolk[/name] ([name]England[/name]) baptism records circa 1500-1800. The entire list is huge so I’ll have to do it in stages if anyone would like more :slight_smile:

Boys:
[name]Barbary[/name] – used for girls as well occasionally
[name]Bartlett[/name]
[name]Barton[/name]
Brettingham
Cleophes
Cloudesley – popular surname-firstname
[name]Collen[/name]
[name]Dorothie[/name] – yep, on a man. 3 in fact
Dycker
Framlinggim
Godsgift
Heth
Kelah
[name]Kirby[/name]
Maher Shalalhasbaz
Paston
Phinchas
Postle
[name]Priest[/name]
[name]Raynor[/name]
Salathiell
Seaman
[name]Salmon[/name]
[name]Saunders[/name]
Smithley
Wallers
[name]Willoughby[/name]
Wolfrie
Zaphnathpaneah

Girls:
Amphillis / Amphylis – popular
[name]Anice[/name] / [name]Annis[/name]
[name]Anthonie[/name] / [name]Anthoney[/name] – popular on boys in 1600s and ocassionally used on girls
Arimathae
[name]Bennet[/name] – quite popular for girls in early 1700s
Bethsabe / Bethsaby
Bethshien
Boyden
[name]Christmas[/name]
Climelche
[name]Crissa[/name]
Delariviere
Dionyse
[name]Dove[/name]
Edone
Elling
[name]Emery[/name]
Emmenie
Euphane
[name]Grissell[/name]
Jeronomie / Jeronomey
Hizzia
Marylina
[name]Mathew[/name] – loads of girl [name]Mathews[/name] in the 1600s!
Meurrabell
Milliottia
[name]Oley[/name] / Ollye
Pretoria
Raphaell
Rosila
Thomizen / Thomashen / Thamason
Thyrsa
Verele / Verily
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name] – This was pretty popular for both boys and girls in the mid-1700s. [name]Even[/name] my gtx4 grandmother had this name.
Wishers
Zippery

Sex unknown:
[name]Christmas[/name] [name]Eve[/name] – born on Dec 24th :wink:
[name]Fortune[/name]
[name]Kennedy[/name]
[name]Lydda[/name]
Trife
Wolstone

Most of the surname-first names come from where a child was born out of wedlock and were given their father’s surname e.g Wallers Moate son of [name]Anne[/name] Moate and [name]Thomas[/name] Wallers.
Secondly, they are taken from the mother’s maiden name or just popular surname-firstnames in that village/area at the time.

I also love the spellings of ‘recognisable’ names:

Ezegielle ([name]Ezekiel[/name])
Hewghe ([name]Hugh[/name])
Joseve ([name]Joseph[/name])
Matthewsella – it took me ages to see Methuselah lol
Samewell ([name]Samuel[/name])
Umffry ([name]Humphrey[/name])

Abygaille ([name]Abigail[/name])
Awdrye ([name]Audrey[/name])
Brygitte ([name]Brigit[/name])
Cecelye / Cecylie ([name]Cecily[/name])
Dorithie ([name]Dorothy[/name])
Ellyne ([name]Ellen[/name])
[name]Jone[/name] ([name]Joan[/name])
Letace ([name]Lettice[/name])
Liddia ([name]Lydia[/name])
[name]Marable[/name] ([name]Mirabel[/name])
Margrate ([name]Margaret[/name])
Milleson (Millecent)

Added to this of course, we have all the post-reformation biblical favourites:
[name]Dorcas[/name], [name]Keziah[/name], [name]Hepzibah[/name], [name]Zipporah[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Bethel[/name]
[name]Mordecai[/name], Shadrach, [name]Meshach[/name], [name]Moses[/name], [name]Nehemiah[/name], [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Esau[/name], [name]Bartholomew[/name]
etc (too many to list lol)

The virtues:
[name]Temperance[/name], Pleasance, [name]Honesty[/name], [name]Prudence[/name], [name]Virtue[/name], [name]Mercy[/name], [name]Patience[/name], [name]Modesty[/name], [name]Silence[/name]
Godsgift, Livewell, Amorous, [name]Noble[/name]

Reference to local heroes:
[name]Julian[/name] (f)
[name]Horatio[/name], Kett

– [name]Horatio[/name] [name]Nelson[/name], [name]Robert[/name] Kett & [name]St[/name] [name]Julian[/name] (medieval female saint)

16th Century sense of classical grandeur:
[name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Aquilla[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Benedicta[/name], Christiania, [name]Ursula[/name], Beatrixe, [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Octavian[/name], [name]Augustin/name, [name]Augustus[/name], [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Erasmus[/name], [name]Theophilus[/name], [name]Lancelot[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], [name]Emmanuel[/name], [name]Marmaduke[/name], Eusebius

These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing the list.

My pleasure, [name]Pam[/name]. I’m glad you found them interesting! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing these. I have several female [name]Barbary[/name]'s in my family tree. I have always loved Willowby/[name]Willoughby[/name] for a girl. [name]Glad[/name] to see I am not the first to think of it. :slight_smile:

Arimathea (I’m not sure it’s spelled that way) is a place in the bible. Your relative Arimathae could have been named for it. I like Emmenie but it looks like a mis-said enemy. These are great, thanks for sharing them.

Oh, I hadn’t noticed that! :slight_smile:

There were other biblical place names as well like: Kelah ([name]Keilah[/name]?) (m), [name]Bethel[/name] (f), [name]Judah[/name] (f), [name]Lydda[/name] & [name]Zebulun[/name] (m)

So interesting!

i love the name Temperence…
it’s even on my list as Temperence [name]Grace[/name]…

[name]Elea[/name] thank you for posting this. :slight_smile:

Yes I am definitely interested in having more of these names please! My mum and I are into genealogy, and have spent years going round the UK looking at gravestones, so I totally understand your passion!

More please!

[name]Glad[/name] you like them :slight_smile: I’ll put more up when I get a chance.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes doing that! I always feel weird telling people that I get a kick out of searching grave inscriptions lol! I think Who [name]Do[/name] You Think You Are has helped a lot as genealogy is not seen as quite so ‘unmentionable’ anymore ;D