Themes-sorry for rambling

I am not naming a human anytime soon, this is all hypothetical. Yet I am driving myself crazy with sibling names.

I love the names [name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. I know it’s super cheesy. But I really do like them.

So I was imagining siblings with celestial names, and there aren’t really celestial names for boys that I love. And even though it is super popular, my top boy name is [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], meaning “olive tree”. Clearly, nothing to do with space.

I have heard people (not to me specifically) say that two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. But I’m not sure that applies to this. I think for this if you’re going to have a theme it should be for everyone, because [name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are awfully matchy.

What are your thoughts on this? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think someone would feel left out if their siblings’ names had a theme and theirs didn’t?

Yes, I think [name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are too matchy.

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine to have to have two that match and another rogue. They may not even notice connection themselves until a lot later when you can all laugh about it!

However there are some amazing celestial names for boys:

[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Aries[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Sirius[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_u]Mars[/name_u]
[name_u]Solaris[/name_u]

To name a few!

P.s. I don’t think Stella and Luna are too matchy. I would be so thrilled if I met them together! No worse than people naming all their children after trees or gems.

P.p.s. I know a family with three children called Atl@s, S0laris and V3nus (symbols for privacy).

1 Like

If you do find them to be too matchy or unable to find a boys name to fit that you like as much as your girls names, you may look at [name_f]Stellaluna[/name_f] for one and then choose another nature name in general for another girl. I.e. with [name_f]Stellaluna[/name_f] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], you could do a sister named [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] (sea & sun), [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (laurel tree) or [name_f]Aster[/name_f] (a type of flower).

You could choose to do two different themes: space names for girls and tree names for boys, some of which could cross over between the two. Their tie together would be that they are all nature names.

1 Like

No I do not believe they are too matchy, I’ve met sibling combos that were way worse.
Also I have multiple siblings and we all just have names that fit ourselves. [name_f]My[/name_f] two brothers have their names related and I’ve never had a problem with it not to mention it fits them completely well. But! If you want to have a matchy sibset I would suggest something along these lines:

[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Jupiter[/name_m]- might be a bit large of a name!
[name_m]Saturn[/name_m]
[name_u]Comet[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]- pronounced Eh-lyoh
[name_m]Galileo[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_u]Meteor[/name_u]- it IS a name!

If you like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] though you could try these:
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m]
Oaken/ [name_u]Oak[/name_u]
[name_u]Birch[/name_u]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!:grin:

I personally think its fine if two names have a theme and one doesn’t. If you had five kids and named four of them themed names and one not, I think that would be a different story. Also, the two are girl names so this is all assuming that you are going to have two girls and one boy so if you had three girls I think this would be a different senario.

1 Like

I don’t think [name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are too matchy, but there’s definitely a theme there. If you were to have an [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] too, I think it would balance it out nicely. However, if you named him something celestial as well, but then called a fourth child [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] that would bug me, as three is most definitely a pattern.

I am one to stick to themes and patterns. Partly because deviation from a set order makes my head hurt and grinds my gears something shocking, but also, yes - if the name was greatly out of sync with the other sibling’s names, I would wonder / worry if the child would feel left out or as though not as much time and consideration was put into their name.

Themes are completely a personal choice. Some people (like me) need names to all sit nicely together, and others don’t. If you’re in the “don’t category” that’s not wrong. You can call your kids whatever you like, matchy or not.

I like [name_f]Stella[/name_f] & [name_f]Luna[/name_f] together. I think the younger siblings would need to fit the style. But maybe not neccesarily the theme. Maybe stick to two syllable names, or nature names, not just celestial.

I honestly think while Stella, Luna & Oliver don’t match a theme, the flow between them is divine! The Ls really help.

There is a kid’s book about a baby bat called Stellaluna that I adored as a child! You could look at this as a negative of course but personally I think it would be so adorable to read little Stella & Luna that book!

Edit : I don’t know if you’re set on three (of course that could change anyway) but maybe you could look at another boy’s name that matches Oliver, then sisters would have a theme & brothers would as well. I was thinking Callum as it means “dove” and an olive branch is what the dove carries in the Bible/together they represent peace. (Even though I’m not religious I think that connection is cute & love the peace meaning.)

I think Luna, Stella, Oliver & Callum are really lovely together —all share the “Ls” & Oliver + Stella has the “E” while Luna and Callum have the “U.”

2 Likes

Stella and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are definitely quite matchy. I don’t think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] necessarily goes with them, but it could.