Therese or Theresa?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone, just wondering which do you prefer - [name_f]Therese[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] and why? [name_f]Do[/name_f] they give off different vibes?
Also do you think they’re likely to be shortened?
Thank you :heart:

I prefer Therese (because it is simple and “clean”) but would possibly be more inclined to use Theresa because of my own memory (as a 5-7 year old) thinking Therese was “Trees”.

Therese gives me friendly and reliable Irish Catholic vibes, Theresa, pretty similar but perhaps higher status.

Unless you’re in a part of world where nicknames not a thing, I would think they would get shortened to Tess names or - and this is my fave: Resi (“Raisie”). I don’t love Terry and that would also be a possibility.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Therese[/name_f] because it feels daintier to me. [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] is still a little dated to me, whereas [name_f]Therese[/name_f] feels fresh.

I do think both are likely to be shortened (Terri, [name_f]Tess[/name_f], Reese) but as with all names, if you/the named person doesn’t want to go by a shortened form, most people will respect that.

I prefer [name_f]Therese[/name_f], but only when it is pronounced tuh-RAYZ rather than ter-EES. I think it is a really elegant and pretty name when it is pronounced that way, but I agree with another poster who mentioned that the ter-EES pronunciation sounds a bit like trees.

For some reason I think [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] is more likely to be shortened to [name_f]Tess[/name_f] than [name_f]Therese[/name_f], but I can’t think of any other nns.

I like [name_f]Thérèse[/name_f] so much! I pronounce it teh-RESS. So light and lovely! I don’t think it’s very likely to be shortened—perhaps to [name_u]Terry[/name_u] by friends? But I wouldn’t say that’s a given. I love [name_f]Tessie[/name_f] as a nickname!

[name_f]Theresa[/name_f] as its an honour name and only nn was [name_f]Terri[/name_f] or [name_f]Therese[/name_f]

[name_f]Therese[/name_f] is my preference I think! A little more distinctive, interesting and zippy :slight_smile:

[name_f]Theresa[/name_f] is nice enough but I have two bad associations (one personal, one that would probably be recognised in the UK), so while there’s nothing wrong with it, and those concerns might be irrelevant to you, I can’t vote for it!

They might get shortened - I guess it depends what suits the kid :slight_smile:

1 Like

i prefer therese (which i would pronounce tuh-REZ) !! it feels so elegant and lovely, while theresa feels a bit clunky and dated. i think they’re both stunning written down, but i just don’t like the sound of theresa out loud. they also give quite different imagery i think (thérèse is blue and white, doves, an ocean view, the night sky; theresa is warm tones, rural, autumn leaves, apple pie, a big cosy farmhouse). i don’t think they would be shortened instinctively, but tess is very cute if you want a nickname.

therese is my favorite! i personally would be annoyed by the pronunciation issues (i would say it in french almost like tuh-REZ as rosepip said, and most people where i live would probably say tuh-REES or tuh-RAYZ and i don’t like either of those as much) but if pronunciation confusion doesn’t bother you it’s a beautiful name! it’s classic enough to be recognizable but uncommon enough to still have some uniqueness to it. i think it perfectly suits any age and any person. i do also like theresa but it feels a bit more locked in at middle age to me, and a bit more common!

i doubt either name would be shortened unless you wanted it to be. i’ve known theresas and teresas who went by nicknames, but they introduced themselves as such and were never nicknamed anything else. tess/tessa/tessie would probably be most common but i can imagine a 'reesa or 'reese as well and one of the teresas i knew went by tressie!

I want to love [name_f]Therese[/name_f] but something about it feels stuffy, I’m not quite sure why and now that it’s been pointed out I can’t unhear “trees” (I’ve heard of Tree as a deliberate nn for [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] and I like that, but the full name just sounding like “trees” in the first place is not my favorite). I’m pronouning it tuh-REESE which I think I like better than the other options people have mentioned but it feels incomplete to me, possibly because I’m much more used to the extra syllable in [name_f]Theresa[/name_f].

I absolutely adore [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], if it wasn’t my cousin’s name it would be extremely high on my list. All but 1 of my 6 associations (half character’s, half real people) are in their teens/20’s so I get really cool, artsy vibes with a little bit of sweetness thrown in and it doesn’t feel dated to me at all (Terri as a nickname does). Only one (a character) had a nickname so I think nicknames would be pretty avoidable. Of the options I can think of (Tess, [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Terri[/name_f], Tree, and Reese) I think the older crowd would gravitate towards [name_f]Terri[/name_f] if they were going to try to nickname it and the younger crowd would lean more towards [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] as a default. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite is [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or just the full name on its own.

I prefer [name_f]Therese[/name_f], usually when a name has a variation ending in a I prefer the one without the a. [name_f]Therese[/name_f] feels lighter and more suited to all ages. A little [name_f]Therese[/name_f] would be darling!

I prefer Theresa!!! I think it sounds more down to earth. Prefer spelling [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] though.

I like [name_f]Therese[/name_f] too, but only when pronounce teh-REZ. Where I live, it is often pronounced like trez. Which is not so pretty.

I like [name_f]Therese[/name_f], pronounced Teh-REZZ. It’s also great as a middle name, because of the stress on the second syllable.