This is nothing but dreaming...

Okay Berries my latest obsession is pretty out there for me: Ulalume.

• I love the repeating Ls, and the gloomy feeling I get from it. When I hear it I think of wintery, night skies.
  • When I took American Literature in college, my professor pronounced it you-LA-lu-[name_f]MAY[/name_f]. When I listened on forvo the pronunciation was more oo-luh-loom. Which pronunciation is correct?
  • Based on the poem by [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allan[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u], would you say that the name is too gloomy?
  • Or, is the name just too outrageous to even consider.

It’s probably all moot, because I can almost guarantee (96%) that my boyfriend would never go for it. I just can’t help it.

All I see is Ukulele when I see this name.
Besides that given [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]'s increase in popularity it shouldn’t be that ‘weird’ a name.

I think its sweet and beautiful. I like the nn [name_f]Lu[/name_f] and the poem association.

I would pronounce it ou-lah-loom.

I have a relative named Eulamae pronounce you-LUH-may, so it’s somewhat familiar to me. It’s a pretty sound.

I definitely prefer it to [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and the like, so I guess thumbs up!

I’m actually pretty surprised by all of the positive feedback. I was half expecting to hear a tirade against it.

After hearing [name_m]Jeff[/name_m] [name_m]Buckley[/name_m] reading Ulalume, Mr. E also agreed that it’s not so bad. I might soon get it on the short list, if I can figure out a middle to go with it.

I actually think it’s quite pretty. Before I read your pronunciations for it, I read it as oo-luh-loom and I think most people probably would. It’s usable because “weird” names are becoming a lot more common. I say go for it!