This is probably a weird request... fish-related names?

[name]Hi[/name] there! My name is [name]Kristen[/name]. My husband [name]Blake[/name] and I are avid aquarists. Keeping and raising fish is our greatest hobby and one that honestly helped in bringing the two of us together. We are especially avid fans and keepers of goldfish, but if it has fins, we’re a fan :slight_smile:

I know this sounds silly, but we are trying to brainstorm of fish-related names; nothing silly like Guppy or Tetra, but real baby names that relate to fish, somehow. This is what we have come up with so far:

Boys:
[name]Finley[/name] (nickname “[name]Fin[/name]”)
[name]Fisher[/name]
[name]Marlin[/name]

Girls:
Nothing yet :frowning:

Like I said, I know this is a silly venture and I hope nobody thinks we’re completely off our rockers. We’re just trying hard to find a name that really MEANS something to us, rather than one we just like… not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

[name]Kristen[/name] & [name]Blake[/name]

I have a little cousin who is a girl and named [name]Finley[/name] and I just love it. They cal her [name]Fin[/name], and it suits her very well :slight_smile:

Girls:

[name]Meena[/name] - fish
Meenakshi - one with fish-shaped eyes
[name]Nina[/name], [name]Nyna[/name] - enclosure of fish.
Ninosca - enclosure of fish.

Boys:

[name]Fisk[/name] - [name]Fish[/name].
[name]Fischer[/name] - Fisherman.
Timin - Large fish.

You could use [name]Shad[/name] for a boy. I’ve heard of that before as a name as well as a type of fish.

Girls:

[name]Coral[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name]
Damilia - Water (maybe milly for short?)
Sachiel (unisex)- [name]Angel[/name] of water
Shasa (unisex) - [name]Precious[/name] water
[name]Tallulah[/name] - Leaping water.

Boys:

Sachiel (unisex) - [name]Angel[/name] of water
Shasa (unisex)- [name]Precious[/name] water
[name]Douglass[/name] - Dark water.
[name]Ervin[/name]/[name]Irvin[/name] - Sea.
[name]Lincoln[/name] - Settlement by the water
Urwin - Sea
Toyesh - lord of water

Ooo,

You could have a name meaning gold or golden and then a middle name meaning fish?

[name]Aurelie[/name] [name]Meena[/name]

or

[name]Cressida[/name] [name]Meena[/name]

[name]Marina[/name]

[name]Just[/name] a few more ideas

Girls:

[name]Brook[/name]/e - meaning a brook (small stream)
[name]Doris[/name] - [name]Goddess[/name] of the sea.
Eidothea - Greek myth sea nymph.
[name]Ianthe[/name] - Greek myth name of an ocean nymph, meaning “violet flower.”
Malila - fast salmon swimming up a rippling stream.
[name]Marina[/name] - of the sea.
[name]Maris[/name]/ [name]Marissa[/name] - of the sea.
[name]Meredith[/name] - Sea lord
Moana - ocean
[name]Morgan[/name]/ [name]Morgana[/name] - Sea circle
[name]Muriel[/name] - sea-bright.
[name]Rosemary[/name]/[name]Romey[/name] - due of the sea
Skylla - Tear and rend Original Greek form of Latin Scylla, myth name of a sea goddess resembling a mermaid but having numerous ravenous canine foreparts.

Of the names suggested so far my favourites are:

[name]Doris[/name], [name]Ianthe[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name] for a girl.

[name]Finley[/name], [name]Fischer[/name] or [name]Irvin[/name] for a boy.

Let us know what you come up with xxx

[name]Fish[/name] names that may work as names (some more than others):
Bream
[name]Cisco[/name]
[name]Dory[/name]
[name]Gar[/name]
Goby
Grenadier
[name]Gunnel[/name]
[name]Hamlet[/name]
Herring
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]John[/name] [name]Dory[/name]
Ling
Louvar
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Miller[/name]
[name]Mora[/name]
[name]Moses[/name] Sole
Panga
Perch
[name]Pike[/name]
Plaice
[name]Pollock[/name]
Rasbora
[name]Ray[/name]
Remora
[name]Rudd[/name]
Sabalo
Sauger
Sculpin
[name]Shad[/name]
Shark
Sole
[name]Steve[/name]
Tetra
Trahira
Trevally
[name]Zander[/name]
Ziege

Ok the list I did above was just for fun, but you could do something sweet like [name]Catherine[/name] and call her Catfish as an affectionate nickname. I like [name]Fin[/name] for a boy.

Oh my gosh! I never expected such an outpouring of support and ideas. Thank you all so, so much. This is completely unexpected and so heartwarming, you”ve all just made my day :slight_smile: So far, I really like these:

Boys:
[name]Douglass[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name]
[name]Irvin[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Marlin[/name]
[name]Pike[/name]
[name]Ray[/name]
Sachiel
[name]Shad[/name]
Timin

Girls:
[name]Brook[/name]/[name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Coral[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Meena[/name]
[name]Molly[/name] (Another one of our favorite fish” shocked we didn”t think of it :slight_smile: )
[name]Nina[/name]

I also really love littleblackdress” suggestion of [name]Catherine[/name], nicknamed Catfish! That”s completely adorable. I love it. I”ve also thought about [name]Marigold[/name], nicknamed [name]Goldy[/name]/Goldfish :slight_smile: Thank you all so much” we”ll keep brainstorming!!!

I personally love Tetra, [name]Marina[/name], [name]Coral[/name] for girls and [name]Morgan[/name] for a boy. I also love Merrick, which means ruler of the sea - boys name. Sometimes the Latin names for animal species are very pretty. You could also do [name]Angel[/name] for Angelfish, and I’ve heard Searobin as a name of someone or something before. Other possibilities: [name]Pacifica[/name], [name]Lake[/name], [name]Oceana[/name], [name]Ray[/name], [name]Blue[/name], Danio, [name]Delta[/name], Demoiselle (from the damselfish family,) Minnow, [name]Aqua[/name], Aquamarine, [name]Jack[/name] (for jack dempseys,) [name]Jewel[/name] (for jewelfish and jewel tetra – and [name]Jewel[/name] Tetra would be an awesome name!) [name]Caspian[/name] after the [name]Caspian[/name] Sea, Fontaine, [name]Kenn[/name], [name]Kyle[/name], [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Trent[/name], [name]Neptune[/name], [name]Kendra[/name], [name]Troy[/name], [name]Melia[/name], [name]Hallie[/name], [name]Marisa[/name]

For a boy, the name [name]Gil[/name] would be cute. [name]Gilbert[/name], not so much, but I believe [name]Gil[/name] can stand on its own. I think [name]Pike[/name] is also a type of fish…could be a boy’s name.
For a girl…maybe [name]Angel[/name]? As in Angelfish? On the second thought, people may consider it more of a religious name rather than an aquatic name. I just looked up different fish species names, and I came across [name]Allis[/name]. This could be used as a girl’s name. I also found Tench, which can be used as a boy’s name. [name]Marina[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Oceanus[/name], [name]Lake[/name], and [name]Brook[/name] (e) could also be some possible names.

Hey, we named our little boy [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] which is a breed of tropical fish :slightly_smiling_face: it’s also not one you would necessarily relate to fish, kinda one of those if you know you know things I guess x