This is why names are hard! Opinions please!

I saw someone else make an aesthetic board for their baby names, and realized that’s the exact reason I’m having such a hard time naming this baby! The name I love so much doesn’t ‘match’ as well with the image that my first daughters name gives me…to explain…

For my first daughter this is the imagery her name gives me…

And this is the imagery I get for our top 3 names

As you can see [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] & [name_f]Maple[/name_f] fit better aesthetically, but [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] is the one I love! And it really bothers me that it doesn’t match as well.

Am I just overthinking this? Would it bother you if it didn’t have the same ‘feel’?

11 Likes

Holiday actually gives me that same carefree, bright vibe as [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]! I know the aesthetics are slightly different but they don’t clash to me

4 Likes

I love these aesthetic boards! I do see what you mean but I also think that it’s fine if siblings have slightly different aesthetics. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]’s is pretty close to [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’s! [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] would be an even better fit I think!

1 Like

For ideas on creating another name with Edwardian vibes like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] (if that’s what you want!):

7 Ways To Create An Edwardian Baby Name - British Baby Names.

2 Likes

I agree that [name_f]Maple[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] do seem to fit better with [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], but listen: would you rather have a daughter with a name you like, and fits well with her sister, or would you rather have a daughter who has a name you absolutely adore, even if it doesn’t fit as well with her sister?

I’ve read a few of your posts and it’s clear just how much you love the name [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]. Here on Nameberry, I love finding people who have cool names or sibsets that go well together, but my favorite thing of all is finding people who absolutely love the names they have, even if they are names that really don’t go well with their other favorites. If you really, really love a name, everything else doesn’t matter.

Also, for what it’s worth, I think [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] go really well together :blush: Such nice autumny vibes.

2 Likes

If it helps, my older brother’s name is [name_m]Stephen[/name_m], a very traditional, biblical name. [name_f]My[/name_f] younger sister’s name is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], a very traditional, biblical name. [name_f]My[/name_f] name? [name_f]Kellie[/name_f]! Not even the traditional spelling of a decidedly non-biblical name. We’re not a perfectly matching set, but our names match us individually, and it’s great!

2 Likes

If I’m perfectly honest I don’t ever quite understand the whole aesthetic imagine the child type thinking. To me the kids can easily grow into their name… so in this case the one raising [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is going to be the one raising the “[name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]”.

I DO agree that name stylistically speaking [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] seem to match the best and it’s actually my favorite of the choices BUT the ie ending does make it seem a bit rhyme/ matchy with it.

Inwill also say w/I knowing Winnies full name it’s hard to make a hard draw against any of the name options aside from preferences. [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] might not mesh with [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] but [name_f]Jane[/name_f] does…

There is always [name_u]Holly[/name_u] but if you love [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] go for it.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help at all, and may be impossible. But would it be possible to add to, or expand your image of your daughter’s name? [name_u]Or[/name_u] do an aesthetic of her full name (if your current one is not)?

Obviously everyone has different views, but in my imagery of [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] (and the name I believe is her full name if I recall correctly), I definitely see your floral and natural imagery, along with open pastures, little girls and beautiful horses, wind blowing through the trees. I hear spunk, laughter and liveliness in the sound, along with the peaceful natural imagery. I really think some of the sparkle, fairytale and nursery rhymes of [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] could be in your daughter’s name as well.

Forgive me if this is far off.

As far as that goes, [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] is my personal favourite of your options! I might just slightly prefer [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] with your daughter’s full name, but I do think [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] compliments her name so well. I don’t think siblings names need to be a perfect match, but rather a perfect love!

1 Like

[name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] are the ones I love the most, but all these names gave me such a beautiful imagery for a little girl. By the way, your aesthetics were sooo cute I felt inspired to make one for my baby name! I’m in love!SolReverie

1 Like

@seawillow thank you! I really do appreciate your support, my husband likes [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] but it’s not his top choice so it’s really nice to know there are people who love it as much as I do! (And I know I probably sound like a broken record going over these 3 names again and again)

@Greyblue that’s good to hear! I want them to feel cohesive even if they’re not exactly the same style.

@cactusgram that’s precisely why I keep putting [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] back on the list it just matches [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’s name so well.

@littlegoat12 I agree with you 100% in fact that’s usually the advice I give people! I think the combination between pregnancy hormones, and my husband not loving the name is causing me to doubt myself.

3 Likes

@bertha_bernard that does help! It’s nice to hear of sibsets that work that maybe aren’t ‘perfectly matched’

@Alix2016 I agree with the ‘imagining your child’ thing. This is gonna sound super weird, I know, but for me the name aesthetic is almost more like painting. Where the sounds in the names create colors and textures in my mind and when paired together correctly it makes a beautiful image. However it doesn’t really affect the way I view my baby or give me expectations for them, it’s more like giving them a painting I made for them if that makes any sense. But kind of like decorating your house, part of me wants the names to match. But your right [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’s names pretty unique and open to stylistic interpretation.

@columbiacharm I love those descriptions! And there is something about them that matches. And I think I just want that perfect match so much, but I think you’re right that they may not match, but can still complement each other

@gabyy thank you! I love them both!
And that’s beautiful imagery, I love the sunny calm, open feeling they all have!

2 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] want to validate that you’re not crazy, I very much feel the same way about my names and stress a bit about mismatched vibes. What has worked for me is to see potential pairings as sort of yin-and-yangs. For example, I like the idea of a very warm-colored name with a cool-colored sister. I would try to lean into those differences in things like nursery decorating. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is clearly a spring name to you, and [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] has those lovely Christmassy images. I think it could be nice for each sister to have her own “season,” her own palette. They’re each one distinct part of the same set. I hope that makes sense?

1 Like

While they don’t necessarily match perfectly, if [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] is the name you love then go for it, few sibling sets in real life match well and nobody raises an eyebrow - like ever.
I do think [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] will lead to the nickname [name_u]Holly[/name_u], which makes the name even more usable as a sister name to [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] & [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] & [name_u]Holly[/name_u] (or even [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] & [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], if you’re totally against [name_u]Holly[/name_u]) are both lovely.

1 Like

Hi!

I’m all for making boards whether it is mood boards, aesthetic board or going crazy on pinterest. It often helps to put your thoughts in perspective.

I think that all the name suggestions are wonderful and would be a really lovely fit with [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]. I might be a bit more biased to [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] :wink: but you clearly love [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]. And [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a beautiful name. Though what I’m seeing from your boards is that [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] is very much tied to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. The first thing that I visualized when I heard [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] was summer and summer break. A bit similar to [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’s board.

Suggestion, do another board for [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and see how it turns out.

1 Like

Holiday [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is just the sweetest! Go with your heart!

1 Like

even though winnie and holiday jane are slightly different they still have the same feel for me. i feel so happy and joyous reading holiday jane and winnie !

1 Like