This name too weird for a boy?

What do you think of the name [name]Ptolemy[/name] for a boy? The p is silent so it is just pronounced Toe-leh-me. It has a similar flow to the name [name]Timothy[/name] without being as popular. It is an Egyptian name that I think is pretty neat. I am just worried it’s too “weird” to use on a boy. What do you think?

[name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] is a possible first name/middle name combo I like.

I don’t think it’s too weird! It’s got great history. [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] is nice, maybe a shorter middle name? But I still like it. What about [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Adair[/name], [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Rufus[/name], [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Leo[/name], [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Owen[/name]?

HTH

It’s not a horrible name. But [name]IMO[/name], that’s a mouthful for a kiddo to learn and spell.

The only problem I can see with it is that it does not have an obvious nickname. I was a substitute teacher at a kindergarten, and one of the children was named [name]Aristotle[/name], which is similar in style to [name]Ptolemy[/name]. But the kids called him ‘[name]Ari[/name],’ so he had that option. If I were going to use that name, I’d use a middle name like [name]James[/name] or [name]Jason[/name] or something that starts with a ‘J’ so he can call himself “PJ” just to broaden his options.

Actually I think the name is originally Greek and moved to [name]Egypt[/name] when Greece was in power (just a fun fact), and it does have a great history and sound to it. But like pp suggested I would make sure he has a nn to go by, at least while he’s still young, I like pp suggestion of giving him a J middle name to get PJ, [name]Lemmy[/name] could also work if you wanted something more out there or for something more familiar I think [name]Tom[/name]/[name]Tommy[/name] could work as a nickname for [name]Ptolemy[/name]

Thanks for the replies! I think the nick name Tolly is pretty cute for a younger kid- what do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies! I think the nick name Tolly is pretty cute for a younger kid- what do you guys think?

I really like Tolly! It’s cute and fairly easy to say. [name]Polly[/name] could also be an alternative.

I really like [name]Ptolemy[/name]! I think it’d be really cool to use. [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] is a very strong, handsome name.

It’s not really my style at all. And I feel sad for the kid who spends the rest of his life telling everyone, the P is silent.

I think its workable. I would use Ptol (pronounced ‘toll’) as a nick name.

Really like this name, and I think nnTolly is adorable. Great choice!

I don’t know… it’s a lot of name for a little boy. He’ll either grow up to love it or hate it. It’s a name that will get him attention, but who knows how he’ll handle it. But you’re right. It is an interesting name with history.

Thanks for the replies! I do really like this name and am still considering it.

We are also strongly considering [name]Matthias[/name]. We like the combination of [name]Matthias[/name] [name]Constantine[/name] or [name]Matthias[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] but can’t use a middle name that starts with A since our last name starts with an N. But we are having trouble finding the correct pronunciation. We like it pronounced Mah-THY-us and not Mah-THEE-us. Are we pronouncing it correctly?

sorry, it’s a little bizzare. i’m all for untraditional names, but this one is strange to me.

I like it. And I was thinking Tolly before I got to that post!

Be preparted to correct spellings and pronunciations ALL THE TIME, though. But I have to correct people all the time, and I have an [name]Eliza[/name]. (Besides, cool, educated people would totally get it.)

I have a friend who named her boy [name]Galileo[/name]. She got some grief from her family, but I think it’s cool and different, and it is a real name!

Would you consider [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]? I think I like that better than [name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]. It has a nice, strong Greek feel to it. I also pronounce [name]Matthias[/name] as Mah-THY-us.

And to the previous poster… [name]Galileo[/name] is awesome!! I would love to meet a little boy named [name]Galileo[/name].

[name]Ptolemy[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] does sound fabulous but since our last name starts with an N it won’t work. I don’t want the initials [name]PAN[/name]. Any other suggestions?

Also, which name do you like better to go with the sibling name [name]Hermione[/name]? [name]Silas[/name] or [name]Matthias[/name]?

I think its a pretty darn strange name, but I still like it. Hopefully people wouldn’t going to struggle too much with the ‘pt’ because there are pt- words that always just have ‘t’ sound (pterodactyl comes to mind). Then again, I guess that depends on where you live and how well-educated average people there are!

I like [name]Silas[/name] better than [name]Mattias[/name] though, mostly just because I’d be worried [name]Mattias[/name] might get called [name]Matt[/name] and be lumped in with all the [name]Matthews[/name] out there.

I know all about who [name]Ptolemy[/name] is, but I think it is not a good name for a modern kid. He has a LIFETIME of correcting the spelling. That’s no fun. And Tolly is not my favorite nickname - sounds like “Tall-ey” or the opposite of “shorty”. There will be kid out there just creative enough to start calling him Shorty, and it will stick!

OK< joking aside, if you have reasons for loving the name (ie you’re an astronomer) then use it, but please consider it as a middle name. IMO that’s what middle names are for!!

Matthias Ptolemy has a nice ring to it. I LOVE the name Matthias (and pronounce it Ma-TIE-ess) and I like the “T” sounds together, nice flow.