Thoughs on Mariah

Hubby rejects it b/c of [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name]. Does he have a point or is he being silly?

It is unfortunately very tied to [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name]. The problem with a name being really tied to one person is that it seems like a homage to them almost when you name your baby that (though it usually isn’t!) and any negative opinions people may have about that celebrity will be refelcted in the way they feel about the name. Names like [name]Beyonce[/name], [name]Madonna[/name], [name]Ashanti[/name], [name]Aretha[/name], [name]Britney[/name], [name]Oprah[/name], [name]Shakira[/name], [name]Cher[/name], etc are so tied to a particular person that it would be really hard for a child to shake the association, no matter how lovely the names are.

Obviously other celebrity names, [name]Whitney[/name], [name]Sandra[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Kerry[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name] etc are common enough that they’re not tied to one person.

If you love [name]Mariah[/name] though, there’s nothing to say you can’t use it. [name]Just[/name] be prepared for the inevitable [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name] comments that you (and possibly your child if she continues to be famous which seems likely at this point) will encounter.

Have you considered [name]Sariah[/name]? [name]Keziah[/name]? [name]Zaria[/name]? [name]Daria[/name]? They have similar sounds to [name]Mariah[/name]? Or [name]Maria[/name], [name]Marian[/name], [name]Maia[/name], [name]Amaia[/name], [name]Moriah[/name], Myriah (form of [name]Myra[/name]) or [name]Mariel[/name].

I personally think it’s a beautiful name and have since I first heard it (on [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name]!) as a child. Unfortunately, due to the strong connection with the singer I wouldn’t use it, even though I am a fan of hers! [name]Hope[/name] that helps :slight_smile:

Thanks. I guess you are right. I wouldn’t say I love [name]Mariah[/name]. I’d like a name to honor [name]Mary[/name] but I have a [name]Mark[/name] already so though [name]Mariah[/name] was different enough in sound to be workable. Also I have a 2-syllable last name with a long “i” so it sounds nice with [name]Mariah[/name].

Could you not use [name]Mariah[/name] as a middle name? I think that’d be lovely! Otherwise there are lots of lovely names related to [name]Mary[/name] like [name]Maribel[/name], [name]Marisol[/name], [name]Marian[/name], [name]Marianna[/name], [name]Manon[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name] etc. Best of luck!