Thoughts on Ariadne?

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]?

It’s been a favourite of mine for quite some time, though I do wonder whether it is ‘too Greek’ for a child without any Greek heritage or connection. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I really love [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] Freyja as a combo, with the potential nickname of ‘[name_f]Anja[/name_f]’. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that this combo is ‘too mythological’? Thoughts?

Thank you for bringing up this name. It’s a beauty that I’ve forgotten about.
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is a gem. I don’t find it too mythological and I doubt that many people will even notice.

I think of [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] as a wow name. It’s intriguing. It draws me in. The look of the name and the sound of the name are unlike anything else. The letter arrangement especially. I think it would attract comments primarily because of its distinctiveness and beauty. I don’t think Greek heritage would be an expectation held by many Australians since it’s so infrequently used.

I understand the main concern about using names from others cultures is that it’s done respectfully. The other issue might be where the name is very closely tied to cultural identity and therefore using the name creates a sense of incongruity. In the case of [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], I don’t think these issues are present.

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] Freyja is a terrific combination. I actually think the shared mythology makes the names feel complementary to one another. The only thing that might make me take pause is whether the mythological theme feels too rigid alongside other sibling options. [name_f]Anja[/name_f] as a nickname is a great idea by the way.

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is in my top five, I think it’s incredibly beautiful. I liked [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Freja[/name_f] and the nn [name_f]Anja[/name_f] is great.

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] Frejya with the nn [name_f]Anja[/name_f] is stunning! I love it

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is a very pretty name. I think the character is familiar enough that the name doesnt sound exclusively greek. A similar (also greek mythology) name I really like too is [name_f]Evadne[/name_f]. It’s less tied to a specific character, which you may view as a positive or a negative

I love [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]! It’s so pretty and has a sweet and light sound.
I’m Greek and I wouldn’t bat an eye at a foreigner using the name.

I like [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] even though I personally prefer other similar names like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]. [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] Frejya is beautiful, and while [name_f]Anja[/name_f] is a bit of a stretched nickname, I think it could work.

Thank you all! I’m happy to hear that [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] isn’t generally seen as too much in regard to it’s Greek origins.

@llewthewolf: She sure is a beauty. I’m happy to have shone a light on it again for you.
@kachenka: Thank you! The way you review a name always wows me - the incredible thought and detail you include is fabulous! Intriguing is the perfect word for [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], and yes, look, sound and letter arrangement together make it wonderfully unusual. I don’t think I was worried about cultural appropriation as such, but I definitely agree with you on that front, with it all being about awareness and respect. I suppose I just questioned whether [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] would be seen as ‘too Greek’ here because it is unusual. In regard to siblings, this is where I do struggle, as so many of my favourites are from Greek Mythology, and having them all together does make for a very obvious Greek ‘theme’.
@lauren.ley: [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is a lovely combo.
@dayjoy: [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] is also on my list, and I do often consider it, but I always go back to [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]. I do very much like it, though.
@emmievis: It’s great to hear a comment from someone in Greece itself. Thank you!
@moonstone: I really like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], too. I enjoy more creative nicknames in general, though honestly, [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is such a fun name to say, that I likely would just call her that. [name_f]Anja[/name_f] is just another favourite of mine that I thought could potentially work for this combo.

Quite trendy in Greece at the moment, used by several Greek celebrities. I like it a lot. The sound of Ariadne is awesome. Though I find Ari names a bit overused.
Ariadne Freyja is beautiful! I don’t think its an issue to use Ariadne if you dont have a Greek heritage.

As long as there’s,no sibset,potential for either [name_m]Theseus[/name_m] or [name_m]Dionysus[/name_m], or their [name_m]Roman[/name_m] counterparts, you should be good.