Thoughts on Arwen?

[name]Hi[/name] all - expecting a girl in a few months and in my name perusing I came across [name]Arwen[/name]…
It has stayed with me more so than the rest - I like how it is unusual (but not too out there, in my opinion) and seems kind of romantic, elegant, noble, mythical… etc. ([name]IMO[/name]!)

Questions
1- [name]General[/name] thoughts on the name. Is this a nice name or am I crazy?
2- I would not be naming her after [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. [name]Do[/name] you think this connection is a hindrance? (the movies came out a while ago so I hope this wouldn’t be an issue?)
3- My last name starts with a “w” (Wilde). Does the multiple “w” sound make a problem? I can’t figure out if this is actually a good thing to have the alliteration, or a hindrance!
4- Thoughts on any other names that have a similar feel (e.g., another one I like is [name]Ophelia[/name])

Thanks!
[name]Nancy[/name]

I don’t like it. I think the LOTR reference is a great one.
When I hear [name]Arwen[/name] I think of Arwin from The Suite Life of [name]Zack[/name] and [name]Cody[/name]. He was the nerdy awkward maintence man.
[name]Arwen[/name] Wilde is nice. Very author like. Old hollywood. Etc.

It’s not a bad name at all, it’s just not one I’d use.
[name]Arwen[/name] Opehlia Wilde is a pretty name. Again, very authoresque and old hollywood.

Ok I have known an [name]Arwen[/name]…it might have been spelled differently, but I’m not sure. She was in her late 20’s and cute, tall, tom-boyish but with long very straight brown hair. Her parents were hippies, but she liked her name. It suited her well. I didn’t know the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings connections but she told me. To me it just sounded surname-ish and androgynous. I don’t know what I think about the W thing…I think it’s fine. I think [name]Ophelia[/name] is very different…more girly and flowery- [name]Arwen[/name] makes me think [name]Bronwen[/name], Brittania, [name]Rowen[/name], [name]Reagan[/name], [name]Aislinn[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Elin[/name], [name]Ellen[/name], [name]Bevin[/name], [name]Devin[/name]?

I like [name]Arwen[/name]. I think it has a definite LOTR connection and although the movies might not stick around the books have proven to have incredible staying power so I don’t think I’d count on the connection disappearing. On the other hand, she’s a pretty good character so if it doesn’t bother you too much I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

I actually love alliteration in names, especially when it’s a bit more subtle. I’m not such a big fan when both names start with the same letter but when the repeated sound is within at least one of the names like you’ve got with [name]Arwen[/name] Wilde I think it sounds really good.

A few names that popped into my head are [name]Portia[/name], [name]Leandra[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], or if you want to stick with Tolkien there’s always [name]Eowyn[/name] who I think is a stronger character to be named after. :wink:

I like [name]Arwen[/name] but I have always been a Tolkien fan. My [name]German[/name] lit professor was Tolkien’s last student of Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] at [name]Oxford[/name] and he used to tell wonderful stories about Tolkien and [name]Jack[/name] [name]Lewis[/name].

[name]Arwen[/name] is Welsh so other names would be [name]Angharad[/name], [name]Branwen[/name], [name]Olwen[/name], [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Dilys[/name], Morwen, Mafanwy, [name]Bethan[/name], [name]Rhiannon[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Carys[/name], [name]Ceridwen[/name]. There are countless others, many lovely. Also you can peruse other Tolkien names through any of the Tolkien links. I too like [name]Eowyn[/name], she was an awesome character.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Keep em coming :slight_smile:
[name]Just[/name] to clarify - Its not that I [name]DON[/name]'T like LoTR – but I happen to like the name in and of itself, the connection is a separate issue (and at least she is a good character to be named after, not some mean Orc…). But I don’t want her to constantly get teased and am wondering whether teasing might be an issue for a name with a connection to a character?

1- [name]General[/name] thoughts on the name. Is this a nice name or am I crazy? – I love it. I think it’s beautiful and “mythical” to use one of your words.

2- I would not be naming her after [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. [name]Do[/name] you think this connection is a hindrance? (the movies came out a while ago so I hope this wouldn’t be an issue?) – Well, the books came out a long while ago but people still read them. They’re classics. However, I can’t see why this should stop you from using it. It’s a good connection to literature. People name their babies after literary characters all the time. I can’t imagine her being teased because of it.

3- My last name starts with a “w” (Wilde). Does the multiple “w” sound make a problem? I can’t figure out if this is actually a good thing to have the alliteration, or a hindrance! – i don’t think it sounds bad at all.

4- Thoughts on any other names that have a similar feel – I really dislike [name]Ophelia[/name] because all I can think of is the death of [name]Ophelia[/name] in [name]Hamlet[/name]. Here’s some names I think sound similar or have the same feel as [name]Arwen[/name]:

[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Amara[/name]

Also, [name]Anwen[/name] is a name too, and super close in case the LOTR connection gets to be too much for you.

I have a little cousin whose name is this but spelled Arwynn. I personally prefer the origonal [name]Arwen[/name] spelling so am glad that you do too.

[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] Wilde is BEAUTIFUL. It’s so regal and elegant and as somebody above said very old hollywood. I love that you could have the nicknames [name]Wynn[/name], [name]Winnie[/name] or even [name]Ari[/name]/[name]Aria[/name].

I don’t think the LOTR connection is that strong really. As you say the movies came out a while ago now and even though the books are well-read, I didn’t meet my cousin and go “oh, like LOTR”

Good luck x

I reallly like [name]Arwen[/name]. I had [name]Arwen[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] on my list. I think [name]Eliza[/name] is similar, as well as [name]Auden[/name], [name]Arden[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Mara[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Bronwyn[/name], [name]Wren[/name], [name]Harlow[/name], [name]Everly[/name], [name]Eowyn[/name].

I quite like [name]Arwen[/name]. I would consider it for my next little peanut (if my wife would ever get pregnant again) if we didn’t already have a daughter with an A name.
I really don’t think the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings connections matters so much. [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] and the like are still popular and they have a lot stronger connection to their literature than [name]Arwen[/name]. Also, [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Peter[/name], and [name]Susan[/name] are all fairly well used names despite their huge connections to the [name]Narnia[/name] books.

I’d tell you to use if you love it.

1- I think it’s a nice name, it has a pretty sound.
2- I don’t think it would be a “hindrance” in that she would get teased for it or anything (it doesn’t sound funny or weird to me) but I do think you could get a lot of people asking if you named her after the LOTR character. a LOT of people have read the books/seen the movies and the name is 100% associated with the character. it all depends on if it would bother you or not - it would bother me that people would think that I named my child after someone, when I actually didn’t. plus I just completely associate the name with the character only.
3- I think it sounds a bit awkward when said aloud.
4- Have you checked out Greek/[name]Roman[/name] mythological names?

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Arwen[/name].

I would also consider [name]Rhonwen[/name]. I would use it but will have a last name starting with R (a different alliteration than what you mentioned). The W sounds I don’t see as a problem.

1 - I have a friend named [name]Arwen[/name], and she’s done just fine with it. She’s in her 30s now. It’s a lovely name, and I think you have nothing to worry about on that front.
2 - There will be people who will make the connection and others who won’t. It’s not that much of a hassle to say, “no I didn’t name her after the book.” As for being teased, I doubt it. It might even give her a cool factor with kids who know the character.
3 - I don’t see a problem as far as the multiple “W” situation. There is some alliteration, sure. But I don’t think it’s blatant.
4 - Another similar name is [name]Eowyn[/name]. It’s also from [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings, but I would guess that character isn’t as well know. [name]Ophelia[/name] is very pretty and could make a smashing middle name for [name]Arwen[/name].

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say a big thank you to all for your opinions and suggestions. It is still in the running as first choice…

[name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it? [name]Air[/name]-wen or Are-wen?

I like it. It’s nice.

It’s so LOTR to me, but never mind. Since I’m a tolkien’s book fan, I always adore [name]Arwen[/name] and [name]Eowyn[/name], even Galadriel.
[name]Arwen[/name] is unique, pretty, and noble. Use it. :wink:
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] is nice.

I love it, it might have been one of my posts you saw it on! I dont care about the LOTR part, names are going to be used in books that shouldn’t make them unusable.

Questions
1- [name]General[/name] thoughts on the name. Is this a nice name or am I crazy? I love it
2- I would not be naming her after [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. [name]Do[/name] you think this connection is a hindrance? I think of [name]Lord[/name] of the rings first, but I wouldn’t assume you named her after the character. Expect people to think that though, but it shouldn’t matter what others think regardless.
3- My last name starts with a “w” (Wilde). Does the multiple “w” sound make a problem? I like it.

I love [name]Arwen[/name]. And I think [name]Arwen[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] Wilde sounds REALLY nice.

[name]Arwen[/name] is beautiful. [name]Even[/name] though there is a LOTR connection, it’s not like you want to name your baby [name]Frodo[/name]! Also, I think [name]Arwen[/name] Wilde sounds very nice together…it’s not repetitive sounding the way, say…[name]Arwen[/name] Welsh would be.