Thoughts on Astrid?

So while searching around for names I stumbled upon [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and feel intrigued and wanted to hear your thoughts? Anything you’d pair it with? Nicknames? Any associations to be aware of (specifically in the US)?

I like it and think it sounds super cool. I could never use it. The little girl in the shoe Dexter was named Astrid. I think the teasing potential is too big because of the sound of the first syllable. Also there is A s s- turd sorry :confused: but I had to mention it. Maybe Esther or Arden as alternatives with less teasing potential.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! It feels spunky, fun and cheerful to me. I like that it’s an international name but familiar in English too. The author [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren is a great association. I knew a girl with the middle name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and people teased her for its similarity to the word asteroid, but I wouldn’t worry much about it- most names are similar enough to some word or other, and asteroids aren’t that bad anyways.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]!
It has a beautiful meaning “divinely beautiful”. Great history behind it and good namesakes. It is not hard to spell or say and is a rare. I love the NN Stri, Asi (like Sassy but without the first s and shorter middle s).

Unfortunately, I was a fan of The Office (US one). In the show, [name_u]Jan[/name_u] names her baby [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and it’s spelled wrong on her baby shower M & M’s as Asturd. I will never get this association out of my head!

Me too! AlwYs my first thought when I hear this name. It is pretty, but I always hear a@@ turd.

I’ve never seen The Office (maybe 1 episode years ago) so I don’t think that would be an issue for me :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] a lot, it’s so lovely and…starry somehow? As far as associations go, I think of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Kirchherr, The Beatles photographer.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! I find her so cool and spunky. People will love her name, and she probably wont meet another. Its unusual, but familiar

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a gorgeous name! I love it–the only reason I don’t have it on my short list is that most days I like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] slightly better, and having both would be silly.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is currently one of my top 3 favorite names, and has been for awhile. I liked it long before other associations, but [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] from “Fringe” (scientist) and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] from “[name_m]How[/name_m] to Train Your Dragon” (warrior) kind of sealed this name permanently into my top 10 favorites for a future daughter. If I use it, I will likely use [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] as a middle name after my great-grandma. I’ve also considered using [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] as a middle as a way to honor my grandma.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and I think it’s a great choice!

I used to have [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] on my list, but decided [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] were too similar to keep both. [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] just barely won.

I’m not a fan of it. It seems to me too old-ladyish. I do know an [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], however, and she is very nice so she helped to soften the name for me.

I love the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! My husband is Swedish where the name originates from so we are looking for Swedish girl names and I suggested this one, however in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] it can be a bit of an old fashioned name so he didn’t go for it. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren the author of [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] Longstocking and many other beloved Swedish stories is the most famous reference.