Thoughts on Bowie and Louie for girls?

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] always had [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] on my list for a girl and I keep coming back to it. Only problem is my surname starts with a B too. Not sure if that’s a problem? Does [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] work? Or [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]?

[name_m]Louie[/name_m] was also mentioned as a girls name and I was really taken with it! I guess I like unisex names! I also still love [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]!

What are everyone’s thoughts?

I feel like [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] is heavily tied to one person, and with a B surname I think it would sound a bit cartoonish. [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] as a combo is a lot of Ws that makes it a bit hard to say.

I like [name_m]Louie[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. I’m not fond of it as a legal name for either gender, for that I prefer the [name_m]Louis[/name_m] spelling, and I can only really see [name_m]Louis[/name_m] on a boy.

[name_u]Frankie[/name_u] is a name I like on any gender. Again I’m not crazy about it as a legal name, I prefer it as a nickname, but that’s more personal taste; I think [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] can still work as a legal name.

I love [name_u]Grey[/name_u] and [name_f]Willow[/name_f].

Suggestions…
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Billie[/name_u] (could be nn for [name_f]Willow[/name_f], as well as [name_m]Will[/name_m])
[name_u]Clancy[/name_u]
[name_f]Macy[/name_f]
[name_u]Ashby[/name_u]
[name_f]Afton[/name_f]
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]

I honestly completely agree with the first reply for the most part.

“[name_m]Louie[/name_m]” as a name is spelled “[name_m]Louis[/name_m]” generally (like [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]) – and if you’re going to name a girl [name_m]Louis[/name_m] you might as well name her [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. [name_m]Louie[/name_m] is a great nickname for [name_f]Louise[/name_f] though.

I don’t mind [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] too much. And I also don’t mind alliteration names. Unless your last name is [name_m]Bowman[/name_m]/Bauman, I don’t think it’ll sound cartoony. [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m], for example, is very cute to me!

i adore [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] as a standalone name or nickname for [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] are cute too, but I also like [name_m]Greyson[/name_m] as a name for a girl.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like “boys” names for girls? Because I like [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_f]Noa[/name_f]/[name_u]Noah[/name_u] for girls as well.

I love [name_m]Bowie[/name_m], [name_m]Louie[/name_m] and [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]! [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] with a B surname could be a bit cheesy but I’m not sure.

Thanks for the feedback! I think you have all made things much clearer. I think the alliteration might be too much with the BB sound and I do worry people just think about [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Bowie[/name_m]. Im not a fan of [name_f]Louise[/name_f] so it might be too hard to just use [name_m]Louie[/name_m] on its own.

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] and [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] are my favourite combinations but I love experimenting with others. I can’t believe how many boys names have gone to the girls!

I think that [name_m]Louie[/name_m] is a super adorable and quirky nickname for a girl! Like mentioned above, I’ve imagined someone named [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and have the nickname [name_m]Louie[/name_m]! I suppose a first name [name_m]Louie[/name_m] isn’t really that far off either! :slight_smile:

I actually love the sound of [name_m]Louie[/name_m] for a girl. My little boy insisted on naming his female kitten [name_m]Lui[/name_m], (everyone thinks it’s a boy kitten), but we find it really feminine and sweet. If you feel like you might like a formal version what about [name_f]Louella[/name_f], nn [name_m]Louie[/name_m].

I love both on girls!

My favourite is definitely [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] - which I love - but I guess [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] and especially [name_m]Louie[/name_m] could work fine on girls. Lots of traditionally male and surname type names are being given to baby girls at the moment; I don’t find [name_m]Louie[/name_m] and [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] particularly offensive as far as that trend goes.

I love [name_m]Louie[/name_m] for a girl! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] too and [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] is ok but not 100% on it if surname starts with B… depends on what it is perhaps though.

My little girl is [name_u]Luca[/name_u] and we often call her [name_f]Lu[/name_f]/[name_u]Lou[/name_u], but she has occasionally been called [name_m]Louie[/name_m] and I think it’s lovely, I wouldn’t mind it if stuck :slight_smile:

Such great feedback everyone thank you!