Thoughts on Cheyenne?

So I have never really been fond of the name [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u], but the other day I was discussing my love for names with my grandma, who told me how her husband (my grandfather) never really cared as much for what she chose for their 6 children’s names- but how he mentioned that if they were to ever have one more girl when they were younger, he would’ve chosen the name [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Instantly this opened my eyes to [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u], which I still don’t love but I want your opinions on it. I also used to always view [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as such a filler middle name, but have grown to love the name (esp. in the first name spot because the nn [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]).

Personally, I would not feel comfortable giving my daughter the name of a Native American tribe. [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] does have a pretty sound though.

It’s a fairly common in Germany (though usually more in “uneducated” circles, which isn’t supposed to be derogatory on my part, it’s just how it is) and has been in the US, too.
I think as long as you are aware of and respect the origin, there isn’t anything wrong with using the name.
As for the name itself, it’s not my favourite, but I’m quite biased due to the negative association the name has here in Germany.

[If it’s cultural appropriation you’re worried about, I don’t think it would be much different to me using a Jewish name for my child, which I would absolutely do.]

I personally wouldn’t use it, but only because I think of the city in [name_f]Wyoming[/name_f]. However, I have heard it as a name and it wasn’t overly unusual or anything.

I think it is pretty different from a Jewish name. A given name traditional to a particular people or language is quite different from naming your kid after a tribe. It’d be like me naming my kid ‘[name_m]German[/name_m]’ not ‘[name_f]Adelheid[/name_f].’

I wouldn’t think anything was wrong with, for example, [name_f]Winona[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. But I’d never use [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is nice, I like it especially as a first name.

[name_m]How[/name_m] is it pronounced? Is it like “shy-ann”

I think of the place name, so similar to a child being named [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], [name_u]Memphis[/name_u], [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u],[name_f]Brittany[/name_f] etc

I was merely referring to the quite literal bad history between the Native Americans and the European Americans; if that history, which has absolutely nothing to do with her personally (just as I have nothing to do with the Holocaust, it’s part of [name_m]German[/name_m] history of course but it doesn’t have a direct effect on young Jews nor young Germans anymore) is keeping her from using the name, I don’t think it’s an argument strong enough to consider not using the name.

Yeah, I’m a Jew, I got what you were going for. I don’t think it’s a good comparison.

I have a friend who is of the [name_u]Lakota[/name_u] people- she draws a sharp distinction between using Native American names and stealing tribes to use as names because it sounds nice. I defer to her lived experience. I don’t think it’s nice to use and especially not if the logic is ‘well it’s history and I like the sound so that’s not a good enough reason.’

Whoops I had no idea the controversy of this name, I realize it’s a tribe name but I’ve actually met quite a few Cheyennes/Shyannes/and even a Shiann, so I’ve been taken aback from the tribal aspect and into thinking this was an average everyday name. I truly meant no disrespect and am glad to have been given more insight on this name.

I really don’t see how it could be considered stealing.

Anyhow it’s a legitimate place name.

It’s a place named by military conquest, directly referring to the [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] peoples? The place name has no separate independent history.

Look, people can name their kids whatever they want, nobody’s gonna stop you from using it if you want to. That doesn’t mean people aren’t entitled to consider it in poor taste, or misusing a tribal name.

I was just presenting that I would be very uncomfortable with it, and why. Unless it’s a statement from [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] people that they’re fine with it consider it a lovely name, I don’t see where randoms sharing they don’t see anything wrong with it or can’t understand the problem is any more compelling than me find it kind of icky.

dkolletz, I apologize if it sounded like I was having a go at you personally. I do not think you had or have any bad intentions at all.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is nice, but [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] is not my cup of tea. Like others have said, it’s sort of a tribe name, and to me, while it sounds pretty, it kind of seems like a name that’s more common with uneducated people, as has been said about the name within Germany as well? Sorry, just imo…

I love the name Cheyenne actually, but then again, I am partially of Native American heritage, and have (albeit, very very watered down) connections to the Cheyenne and Dakota tribes.

Still, it was a top 100 name from 1994-2000, peaking at #68 for two years (1996 & 1997). I don’t think it’s too controversial to use, personally, but that’s just me. (Then again, I know dozens of children named Dakota with absolutely 0% Native American heritage, and living in a city predominantly known for it’s Native culture, I’ve never, ever heard of Dakota or Cheyenne being an issue here).

I don’t think it’s fair to turn the OP’s genuine question into a debate about what is politically correct/incorrect though. and @botanical latin - the city of Cheyenne was not named as the result of a war. It was plotted as a pioneer settlement and the name was actually chosen after the tribe who was allied with the men settling, from my understanding.

I agree that [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] is too tied to the tribe

I didn’t say it was named as a result of a war. I said it was named by military conquest. The pioneer settlement was surveyed and established by military action. The plotting as pioneer settlement was done by General Dodge. When a military rolls into an area to secure it for settlement of their populace, I am unsure by what definition that’s not military conquest of territory. Gen. Custer massacred a Cheyenne village the year after Cheyenne Wyoming was founded by Gen. Dodge.

For the record I don’t disrespect the OP at all, she said she hadn’t ever liked the name until recently and then said “I want your opinions on it.” I guess I could cut the history and say “my opinion is I wouldn’t use it” but other people made political comments before mine. Sorry for offense? People will of course do what they want.

I used to like it as a name, before I was educated on how it came to be such and its history. I wouldn’t ever consider it, the same as I wouldn’t consider names like [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]. They’re nice to the ear but it’s disrespectful imo.

I don’t think one person being against it, even 100, is good enough of a reason either as it is a very personal opinion. But then I think there’s a difference between using a name and respecting it’s origin and cultural appropriation (which is a term slapped on anything and everything nowadays).
Anyway, we seem to have different opinions on this topic, which is fine.

Its kinda trendy but I do like it. I’m not saying I’d use it on my own child though.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a stunning name and can make any first name sound beautiful, which is probably why every little girl born in the last 5 years has it as her middle name! :smiley: So, personally, I’d avoid it.

I wouldn’t use it. I don’t think it’s ‘bad’ to use it if you like it, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable knowing that the name of my child may offend someone in a way, shape or form. [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] has a pretty sound, yes, but I don’t find it worth it. I would stay with using [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a first name, or middle name to honor what [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] meant for your grandpa.

My opinion is that it is very dated. I’ve heard of many [name_f]Cheyanne[/name_f]'s born in the late 90’s and early 2,000’s. I do like the connection it has to your grandfather, which would be a good enough reason to use it.

I do understand the potential controversy behind the name and while I don’t know how a Native American would feel about it, the name has been in use for quite some time now. And while that is not an excuse to use it, I think it goes to show that there is a distinction between the name, the people, and the place. A good example is [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. Some people see that as a flower name, a color name, or just a name. I see it as just a name, no other associations. I’d have the same thoughts for [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Amber[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], etc