Thoughts on Drucilla and Beatrix

Hi there.

Drucilla is not for me. I do think of [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], but that’s not really an issue. I just think that it sounds too dark & dramatic. And [name_u]Dru[/name_u] (well, [name_u]Drew[/name_u]) being so popular for boys, that it actually makes it less unique.

Beatrix-I could not love this name more. :grin: I think that it’s the perfect balance of vintage charm, strong bold feminine energy, smarts & spunky-ness. It’s way uncommon, but also very well known & not overly complicated. [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is gorgeous too, but a totally different vibe to me. It’s more bookish & soft. And they’re said differently; [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-uh-tricks vs. [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-uh-tris. I wouldn’t worry about it being mistaken for [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f]. I think that [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is a more well known name. And [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] is a cool name anyway, despite the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] thing.

Hope my rambling helps. :slight_smile:

Haha I do see what you mean! I think [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is pretty much always pronounced [name_f]Bee[/name_f], but if you prefer the speeling of [name_f]Bee[/name_f] I’ve seen that done as well! Both are super cute :honeybee:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and I like [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] but prefer the [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] spelling. I think look wise I prefer either [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] or [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

I would venture to guess that people are getting villain vibes, in addition to the [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] reference, is because the name sounds somewhat similar to one of Disney [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]’s step sisters, Drizella.
While I can certainly see how that’s happening, [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] is not Drizella so I don’t think it’s an issue.

Overall, I think [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is a nice set.

2 Likes

As far as Drucilla goes, it was my absolute, hands-down favourite name outside of Rose when I was a teenager. I was convinced I would have a daughter named Drucilla Selene. I still think it is such a beautiful name, and the nickname Dru is just darling. I first heard it in a book called Time of the Witches (the teacher of the Theatre troup I participated in growing up was the daughter of the author, Anna Myers). It does have the Buffy and then Angel connections with the character, but I honestly don’t think that’s a bad thing. I know a lot of people tend to compare it to Drizella from Cinderella as well but people use Anastasia and love it and thats the name of the other stepsister so that may be a bit hypocritical imo. And I don’t think of Cruella at all. It also has some admittedly negative bibblical connotations with the spelling Drusilla, but technically so does Delilah, Rachel, Jonah, and Phineas but they’re common enough. To me, Drucilla is a very pretty, underused beauty that I feel fits in very well with names like Cordelia, Ophelia, Delilah, Priscilla, Lillian, Damaris, Lucille, and Lucinda.

As far as Beatrix goes, I do like it a whole lot. I’m not a fan of the BEE-trix pronunciation, but when its said like bee-uh-trix I think it is stunning. I don’t associate it much with Bellatrix, they are very similar in sound and look, but I don’t think anyone would mistake one for the other. I also prefer Beatrix and that spelling to Beatrice. I have never heard of that show, and I tend to think of Beatrix Potter or a character in a book I read (where I first came across the name).

1 Like

@GreenEyes375 - I haven’t seen the movie in over a decade, so Drizella wasn’t an association for me at all. And I also forgot the other sister’s name. [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] just isn’t an important movie in my life :rofl:

I’ve never heard of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as bee-trix, only bee-uh-trix. But I still like the nn [name_f]Bee[/name_f] with it!

Thank you!

1 Like

@brittanyanitarose - [name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts exactly!

Interestingly, [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] means “strong” and [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] means “fruitful.” So if I use the name, I’ll definitely use the spelling [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]!

1 Like

Bea is always pronounced ‘bee’

1 Like

I will be honest I see [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as bee not bee- uh.

1 Like

I don’t really like [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] as a name (just not my style). I don’t know of the [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] association and wouldn’t think of Cruella, but I did immediately think of the ugly stepsister from [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f].

I don’t really feel strongly one way or another about [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but I prefer it to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. Also really like [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] as a nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] only association is [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] which I’d say is fairly positive.