Thoughts on Eve as first name

Right now [name]Eve[/name] is one of our top choices if we have a daugher (we don’t know the gender). I was wondering if anyone has any theories as to why the name isn’t more popular. I don’t want a popular name so that is actually a plus for me but I’ve started questioning whether it’s a name people don’t like? You would think that with it being classical and biblical, it would be much more popular than it is. Going as far back as 2000, it’s never broken the top 500 which I find odd. Any ideas? [name]Do[/name] people not like it b/c of the [name]Adam[/name]/[name]Eve[/name] association? I am happy a name I love is not common but am becoming concerned that perhaps there’s something negative about it that I am overlooking. THANKS!

There’s nothing negative about it as far as I know. It’s just underused, kind of like [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name], perfectly lovely names that aren’t even in the top 1000. It’s a great name-- definitely use it!

1 Like

I totally [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Eve[/name]!! It’s an absolutely stunning, elegant name. I hope you use it!!

Thanks for the comments. They are reassuring!!!

I think one-syllable names are just never as common for girls, plus we are in the “just add an ‘a’ on the end” age of naming. [name]Eva[/name] is more popular than [name]Eve[/name], [name]Bella[/name] is more popular than [name]Belle[/name], [name]Anna[/name] is more popular than [name]Anne[/name]. But this only makes [name]Eve[/name] stand out as more individual, to me. I would use it!

I think it is too biblical and too short, but there isn’t anything wrong with the name itself. I, on the other hand, would use [name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name] or [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name]

I’ve wondered the same thing myself. It seems like there ought to be more little Eves out there. The only reason I could come up with (apart from one-syllable avoidance) is that people have negative associations with Biblical [name]Eve[/name], or they always imagine [name]Eve[/name] pictured semi-naked with strategically-placed leaves and fruits. I don’t think those are reasons to avoid using the name, though. It’s a beautiful choice; much more interesting than [name]Eva[/name] at this point.

You might be too young to know about The [name]Brady[/name] Bunch T.V. show that aired during the 70s. Actress [name]Eve[/name] Plumb played the part of the middle daughter.

The only Eves I’ve known have super-religious parents, so I can’t help associating it strongly with the Biblical [name]Eve[/name]. Probably because there are so few Eves bopping around (as opposed to [name]Adams[/name]), Biblical [name]Eve[/name] is basically all I can think about when I hear the name. It is certainly a pretty name, but as a non-religious person, I wouldn’t use it myself.

I think it is very pretty and strong for being a one syllable name.

I [name]LOVE[/name] THE NAME [name]EVE[/name]! I totally love it. I think it is beautiful. I think the reason it is not more popular is because longer names seem to be very ‘in’ at the moment ([name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], etc.)

I think [name]Eve[/name] is absolutely fabulous, classic and timeless. I do not think of [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]. I actually think of the one [name]Eve[/name] that I know (who is 91) and a character from a book named [name]Eve[/name].

I think [name]Eve[/name] is fabulous!

I’m really sorry about what I am going to say, but I think were supposed to be honest and give our true opinions on here.

I really dont like it. Its not that I have bad experiences with the name, I have met tons of people named [name]Eve[/name] and they were all nice people. I just dont like it.