Thoughts on Fiona...

See the results of this poll: What is YOUR opinion of Fiona?

Respondents: 31 (This poll is closed)

• May get too trendy…: 2 (6%)
  • Cute and sassy, but not my style…: 6 (19%)
  • Beautiful, feminine, and spunky!: 19 (61%)
  • Awful!: 3 (10%)
  • Reminds me too much of Shrek…: 1 (3%)

I love [name]Fiona[/name]!

I really like [name]Fiona[/name]! I do get some of the Shrek association, certainly I seem to always see a redhead when I think [name]Fiona[/name], but its overall a really nice name.

I chose the first option, but I think of [name]Fiona[/name] as being more elegant than spunky.

I think it’s a great name!

Take care! :slight_smile:

That’s interesting - I see a little girl with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes…

Thanks for the comments, girls! :slight_smile:

My option wasn’t in there, so I will write in. [name]Fiona[/name] and a handful of other names feel way too posh to me for a real person. Maybe with use it will start to seem very common and approachable, but I’m not there yet. I like the way it sounds. I don’t associate it immediately with Shrek, but you might say I sort of do live under a rock sometimes. I’ve seen Shrek, but I haven’t seen it 80 times like someone with kids might. [name]Aladdin[/name] didn’t seem to hurt the prospects of [name]Jasmine[/name], really. I don’t think of the movie association as something that would matter overly, as it is a real name, i.e., not super obvious like [name]Cinderella[/name]. Maybe because [name]Fiona[/name] turns out to be an ogre after all, it might not be as popular as [name]Jasmine[/name] because of the movie, but that’s sort of a silly reason to avoid it. My general feeling, at least for me, is that it has a certain air I don’t think in my lifetime I would achieve the ability to pull off, neither my potential offspring. It’s not a down-to-earth name, imo, but I do think it’s very pretty.

I absolutely adore the name “[name]Fiona[/name]”!

It always makes me think of the British actress [name]Fiona[/name] Fullerton, who as a child played young [name]Anastasia[/name] in the movie [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Anastasia[/name], a year later played [name]Alice[/name] in [name]Alice[/name]'s Adventure’s in Wonderland, and eventually grew up to play a [name]Bond[/name] girl in A View to a Kill.

[name]Lovely[/name], lovely name!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I really appreciate your explanation, [name]Karen[/name]. Very interesting, to say the least. I do understand your opinion of the name as having a sort of posh sound to it, perhaps indicative of the person holding the name. For some reason, when I hear [name]Fiona[/name] said aloud in my head, it is in the voice of a distinguished, debonair British woman, with particular emphasis on Fi-OH-nah. Perhaps this makes me understand where you are coming from a bit. Though I understand this, I do however also see the name as quite feminine and flirty, but at the same time delicate and delightful. The name is princess-y (as in [name]Jasmine[/name]) without being overly frilly in my opinion.

I do appreciate everyone commenting! So very fun to hear what you all have to say :slight_smile:

I like it. I associate it with [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name], who coincidentally has brown hair and blue eyes.

I’ve always loved this name. It’s one of my favorites! I really hope it doesn’t become too trendy…

I’ve recently become in love with this name. I think it has the elegance of a name like [name]Sophia[/name], with some added spunk. The only thing I’m wary of is the lack of viable nicknames, and the risk of it being shortened to [name]Fifi[/name] (ugh!). But even despite this, I would consider using it anyway because it’s just such a gem!

I completely agree! I used to really adore [name]Sophia[/name], honestly, for its regal, classic, yet fun sound, but [name]Fiona[/name] has taken over its spot in my mind. It seems so sweet and feminine, yet refreshing and a bit more fun than [name]Sophia[/name]. I’m not a huge fan of using nicknames myself, so I’d stick with just [name]Fiona[/name] - I agree that [name]FiFi[/name] isn’t the best nickname for such a stunning name.

Ladies, I appreciate the positive feedback. The last time I asked about [name]Fiona[/name] - albeit on a different website - the feedback was wholeheartedly negative and I was slightly crushed…