Thoughts on Jove?

I have been thinking about the name [name_m]Jove[/name_m] for a boy lately, but I am not too sure about it. I might add it as a GP.

What do you think of it? What middle names would you pair with it?

Would you pair a classic or common middle with it to even out the uncommon-ness of [name_m]Jove[/name_m]?

It’s definitely on my GP list, I think it’s very attractive and has a great meaning.
I think I’d keep it as a middle name personally, but I could see it working for some guys.

Definitely a longer first or middle to balance the single syllable, and probably something at least familiar in comparison.

[name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Darius[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]

I think for people completely ignorant of mythology-- and there certainly are many-- it will just be an attractive 1-syllable name with a cool O sound. Some might remember the quaint exclamation ‘by jove!’

For anyone who remembers their childhood [name_m]Greco[/name_m]-[name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology lessons though (and there are many of them, too) it will be pretty hard to wear. Best left as a GP.

I agree with [name_m]Blade[/name_m]. I would feel mildly offended because it’s the name of the top god of [name_m]Roman[/name_m] (which is basically a parallel of Greek) mythology. It’s the same as naming someone [name_m]Zeus[/name_m], Yahweh, etc. Now, in the middle, it comes off as an honor name and it’s an entirely different thing. [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m] is cool and seems like your honoring where are [name_m]Jove[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] seems as above. It’s not just mean, I know a lot of pagans in my area feel similarly. [name_m]Minor[/name_m] gods/goddesses are ok in the front, major gods/goddesses stay in the middle. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinion. :slight_smile:

Now, I would keep it in the middle. I think it’s cool in the middle. In the front, aside from the above, I just think it sounds too quick, if you understand. Insubstantial I guess.

I keep hearing “By jove!” in my head. I would keep it as a guilty pleasure.

I don’t want to offend anyone (I don’t really know anything about [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology), So I guess It’s off my first-name list.
Thanks for sharing this.

But I wonder,
Is [name_m]Jovan[/name_m] okay? (I read it’s the Serbian/Macedonian equivalent of [name_m]John[/name_m])

Let’s go with [name_m]Job[/name_m] a man of impeccable character.