Thoughts on Kellaway...

[name]Hi[/name],

My husband came out of nowhere with the name Kellaway for the girl of our boy/girl twins due in [name]May[/name]. I was surprised cause I kinda love it. But, I know lots of Kellys and while I don’t dislike that name, I would want our girl’s name to stay Kellaway or perhaps Kell for short. [name]Do[/name] you think people would automatically go to [name]Kelly[/name]?

And, while I have your attention, what are some of your suggestions for a Kellaway’s twin brother?

Thanks!

I don’t care for it - it feels like one of the trendy faux-surnames that’s floating around and I honestly feel like people will either shorten it to [name]Kelly[/name] or get confused and just say [name]Kelly[/name].

Personally, I am a little tired of people picking random surnames and trying to turn them into first names. It is fine if they are family names or have personal meaning, but if they are just a collection of syllables that you like the sound of, well I am sure you can find a real first name that sounds just as good or better. I really think Kellaway will get shortened to [name]Kelly[/name] at one point.

Congrats on the twins!

I love it! But I do love surnames on boys and girls :slight_smile: I’m in the South US where it is commonplace, respected, and fun. Plus, kudos to you for considering different names for twins! Beats [name]Ally[/name] and [name]Andrew[/name] or [name]Brett[/name] and [name]Brook[/name] :wink: …Be prepared that you will get blasted on this board for considering a “trendy/fake surname…”

I don’t think it’ll be shortened. That is up to you! Kell is pretty, though. I’m a personal fan of Kellar and love that it means “little companion.” Maybe a consideration?

Her brother either needs a long, harder-sounding surname too or a short, breezy, rough-n-tumble boy name:

Kellaway and [name]Edison[/name], Kellaway and [name]Jefferson[/name], Kellaway and [name]Willoughby[/name] , Kellaway and [name]Fletcher[/name], Kellaway and [name]Finnegan[/name] (Kell and [name]Finn[/name] are such fun twin nn), Kellaway and [name]Gallagher[/name], Kellaway and [name]Sullivan[/name], Kellaway and [name]Palmer[/name], Kellaway and [name]Erickson[/name], Kellaway and [name]Ramsey[/name], Kellaway and [name]Remington[/name]

[name]Brisk[/name]- Kellaway and [name]Rhett[/name], Kellaway and [name]Beau[/name], Kellaway and [name]Hugh[/name], Kellaway and [name]Burke[/name], Kellaway and [name]Drake[/name], Kellaway and [name]Ty[/name], Kellaway and [name]Law[/name], Kellaway and [name]Zane[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps! Those were fun twins to name :wink:

I agree with @flick and @uselesskitty on the surname trend.

Kellaway will most likely get [name]Kelly[/name] often times. Also, I keep hearing “Killaway” when I read it, as in “Kill her, and throw the body away.” morbid I know, but it keeps popping up. I’m not sure if anyone else gets that reminder, but it might be something you may want to consider.

Killerwhale is what I hear.

What about [name]Calloway[/name]? I think much nicer and nn [name]Callie[/name].

I think it is terrible. I agree with other posters that it sounds like a made up surname. [name]How[/name] about :

[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Callista[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
Callianna
[name]Carissa[/name]

I think it is pretty cool but I do prefer [name]Calloway[/name].

I would go with [name]Calloway[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name]!

Yep.

I also disagree that giving Kellaway a nickname will be up to the parents. My cousin’s name is [name]Gabrielle[/name] and a lot of her classmates call her [name]Gabby[/name], a nickname my aunt despises and has NEVER used.

I agree. The similar [name]Callaway[/name] is on my list for a girl, but in my case [name]Callaway[/name] is my great-grandmother’s maiden name.

Choosing a name because you think it sounds nice is a very empty reason to choose a name.

I agree on the random surname, but I don’t think [name]Callaway[/name] is any better unless it is a family name. It just baffles me why people want to honour someone else’s family by using a surname that is doesn’t belong to either side of the family.

Obviously I prefer [name]Callaway[/name]. (see my username) I agree that Kellaway sounds very smooshy.

But I’d also throw Caraway out there. It’s a yummy spice and sounds like “cares away”, which is a lovely sentiment.

Sounds made up. If you are set on a surname name why not a real one like [name]Calloway[/name]?

And yes I think [name]Kelly[/name] will be inevitable.

Someone beat me to the punch, but I too want to suggest [name]Calloway[/name]. I also want to suggest [name]Bellamy[/name].

I don’t like Kellaway at all.

This, basically. I don’t like it at all.

Sorry. :frowning:

You guys are so funny- these have been great to read. I’ve never posted anything here before, and I was psyched to get all the near- instant feedback. 4.5 years ago we named our baby girl [name]Austin[/name] [name]Elouise[/name] and I couldn’t be happier with her name and how it suits her. Now if only I’d posted that one on Nameberry…

The name DOES have meaning to us…It’s the last name of a writer my husband and I both really like and talk about a lot, and I seek to choose unique names (much to my mother-in-law’s chagrin) for my kids, and am not really concerned with something cause it’s a trendy surname…

I already knew I liked the name, but was just interested to hear about [name]Kelly[/name] as a potential nn. Thanks for all the feedback!

I love a lot of these ideas…thanks! I laughed out loud when I read Kellaway and [name]Beau[/name]…[name]Beau[/name] (actually [name]Bo[/name]) is our beloved dog’s name and so that one’s taken. :slight_smile:

Kellar is so sweet. I’ve been a special educator for years and considered Keller after [name]Helen[/name] for my first. Maybe I’ll throw that one back out there again.