Thoughts on Kith?

What are your thoughts of the name Kith for a girl?

I actually really love the name, but I’ve never heard it before as a name, and I’m also hesitant bc of it’s similarity to Kitty and nn-ing possibilities.

We are team green expecting our 4th. Current names are Moss, Eller & Kelby. I’m not really worried about boy names (which are so much easier to me!), but really struggling with girl names. My preferences definitely lean towards -ie/y names for girls, but I don’t really want to put that “baby” namesake on my last baby. I used to really love Thea and Ada, but have really not been loving recently. Other names I like are Jade, Ivy, Stevie, Davey, love the nn Lu but none of the full names, and absolutely adore Bess (even as a full name) but can’t use bc of sound similarity to Moss.

Always open to suggestions!

[name_f]My[/name_f] honest thoughts are it sounds like someone with a lisp trying to say “kiss”.

4 Likes

Ok, that’s fair! Thanks for the input. I personally don’t hear it, but I definitely want to know these things that might happen if I choose to name baby Kith anyway.

I’ve never heard it before but as with the other poster it sounds like kiss with a lisp. Where is it from?

1 Like

I also thought about kiss with a lisp, or the name [name_m]Keith[/name_m] misspelt, so I’m not a fan, unfortunately!

Regarding some of your other concerns: I don’t think using an -y/ie name would make it seem like you were trying to give your youngest a “babyish” name, since Kelby’s name also ends in that sound! I don’t think anyone would think much of it if you did use an -y/ie name.

As for [name_f]Lu[/name_f], some more out there full name options that you may not have thought of: [name_f]Luella[/name_f], [name_f]Luana[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Lux[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Lotus[/name_f], [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], [name_m]Lumen[/name_m], [name_f]Luneth[/name_f], [name_f]Milou[/name_f], [name_f]Allura[/name_f], [name_f]Emmylou[/name_f], [name_f]Calluna[/name_f], [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]

I actually really love [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]! I love both the nicknames Lu/Lulu and [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] only thought was that it’s a little long for the sib set. I guess it’s hippy enough to go with the other names, though, now that I think about it.

I honestly might be overthinking all of these names, especially because it’s really important to me to meet the baby before naming them anyway. Who knows!

1 Like

Ok, so this may be a bit of a niche association (but he does have a lot of subscribers, so maybe not). Wendigoon on YouTube did a video where he uses “kith” as a replacement for a lot of adult activities. The idea was that it sounds like “kiss.”

Here is a reddit thread explaining it a bit more, but content warning before clicking: https://www.reddit.com/r/wendigoon/comments/mzlifr/what_does_he_mean_by_kith/

Again, maybe not super well-known, but it was my immediate thought, so I thought you should at least be aware of it.

1 Like

Ooh, I’m so intrigued! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know it as a word, last name or other?

In favour of Kith:

As a word name with meanings of friends, knowledge and homeland it feels earthy and positive.
I love that it is unheard of (by me), but it does sound instinctively name-like. We have a Cath in our family, maybe that’s why. Kith feels like her cousin down the name path less travelled.

Some reservations: I have to really concentrate to say it fluently! The ‘th’ becomes more sibilant than it should be. (I also find this with other lovely ‘th’ ending names like Tanith.) Children will probably often pronounce Kith as Kiff as they are learning, some people always find that sound difficult and some accents (e.g. [name_f]London[/name_f], UK) say ‘ff’ for ‘th’ consistently. Mentioning this in case any of it bothers you or is relevant to you.

Some info

According to this site https://forebears.io/x/forenames/kith, Kith is worn by 954 people as a forename, most commonly in Sri Lanka, with the highest density of Kiths in At [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]. It’s most often recorded as a masculine name, however 82% of the 44 people name Kith in [name_m]Sweden[/name_m] are listed as female.

Again according to forebears, there are 522 people who have the last name Kith, with 171 of these in the US and 100 in Cameroon. BtN lists Kith as a user submitted surname of Khmer origin.

Disclaimer: I don’t know how forebears sources and sorts their data.

1 Like

i don’t really get it… :face_with_spiral_eyes: to be honest it doesn’t really look like a feminine name to me unfortunately, especially alongside the other names you’ve listed

-ie/y names can be timeless and not too childlike imo ! names like ivy, stevie and davey that come to mind:

scottie
joanie
misty
wendy
freddie
rory
sadie
navy
jessie
miley
story

I think it sounds pretty cool! Something zippy and distinctive about it. Still, I did think of [name_m]Keith[/name_m] and quiff when I heard it.

You might like:

[name_f]Kerith[/name_f] ‘Kith’
[name_f]Cherith[/name_f]
[name_f]Deenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ardith[/name_f]
[name_f]Mitzi[/name_f]
[name_f]Keeley[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_f]Rumi[/name_f]

I’m so sorry, but I think it sounds like “kiss” with a lisp. I really wouldn’t use it.

Have you thought of Lu-names that have [name_f]Lu[/name_f] as their second syllable? [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], [name_f]Malou[/name_f], [name_f]Milou[/name_f] etc.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is cute too and I don’t think -ie/-y for the youngest is really a problem.

Ok! So I’m glad there’s a consensus… We probably won’t end up using since everyone is having the same initial thought on it. We will have to do some more digging!

Oh wow… thank you for pointing this out. I guess the association with kiss really is there, strong and in full force!

1 Like

with your boys, i like india

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate thought upon hearing Kith is the word kith Kith Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster. It is certainly not a bad meaning, in fact it could be pleasant. I personally am not a huge fan of the sound of Kith. I don’t know if I would connect it to kiss very quickly though. Overall I have quite mixed feelings about Kith.

I see you mention [name_f]Lu[/name_f], and want to throw out Ru. I believe there’s a poster here on nameberry with a daughter named (just) Ru. I think it works well with your other children.

Some very random suggestions

[name_f]Scotlyn[/name_f], [name_f]Scotia[/name_f]
[name_m]Beck[/name_m]
Aves, [name_f]Avis[/name_f], [name_m]Acer[/name_m]
Cedrus, [name_m]Cedro[/name_m]
[name_m]Faro[/name_m]
[name_m]Auden[/name_m]
[name_f]Larkin[/name_f]
[name_f]Sutton[/name_f], [name_m]Hutton[/name_m]
[name_f]Brindle[/name_f]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_f]Joplin[/name_f]
[name_f]Bardot[/name_f]
[name_f]Tennille[/name_f]
[name_f]Russet[/name_f]
[name_f]Vale[/name_f]
[name_f]Lua[/name_f], [name_m]Lumen[/name_m]
[name_m]Win[/name_m], [name_f]Winnet[/name_f]
[name_m]Art[/name_m]
[name_m]Fenn[/name_m]
[name_m]Berlin[/name_m]
[name_m]Dion[/name_m]
[name_f]Wallis[/name_f]
[name_f]Beryl[/name_f]
[name_f]Lore[/name_f]

Congrats!

The only Kith I know of is a man named Ki.thulub, which is his middle that he has gone by his whole life. Therefore I see it as completely male. I have never thought about it being kiss with a lisp :woman_shrugging:

Some [name_f]Lu[/name_f] names (sorry for any repeats): [name_f]Lula[/name_f], [name_f]Lulie[/name_f], [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f], [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], Luelle, [name_f]Luella[/name_f], [name_f]Luana[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_m]Luca[/name_m], Lucy/Luci, [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], [name_f]Lou[/name_f] (on its own), [name_f]Luvena[/name_f], Leilou, [name_f]Emmylou[/name_f], [name_f]Malou[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Aluna[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f]

Others based off your names: [name_f]Scottie[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], Besty (could be similar to Bess?), [name_m]Rory[/name_m], [name_f]Jessie[/name_f], [name_m]Freddie[/name_m], [name_f]Josie[/name_f], [name_m]Joey[/name_m], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Isley[/name_f], [name_f]Ivana[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Billie[/name_f], [name_f]Jackie[/name_f], [name_m]Jamie[/name_m], Bea/Bee

1 Like

I don’t think “kiss with a lisp” but I do think of the phrase “kith and kin” which is rather harmless but still the association makes it seem odd for a name (although it does fit rather well with [name_m]Moss[/name_m], [name_f]Eller[/name_f], and Kelby?). [name_f]My[/name_f] second thought was “wasn’t that in a [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars movie?” Had to remind myself that was Revenge of the SITH, not Kith. I think [name_m]Kit[/name_m] would be a sweet alternative and fits well with [name_m]Moss[/name_m], [name_f]Eller[/name_f], and [name_m]Kelby[/name_m]. I do like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Stevie[/name_f], and [name_m]Davey[/name_m] from your other options, and think Lou/Lu on its own could work.

What about:

[name_m]Ives[/name_m]
[name_m]Rome[/name_m]
[name_m]Roan[/name_m]
[name_f]Fenna[/name_f]
Gratia/Grecia
[name_f]Bay[/name_f]
[name_f]Ara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zana[/name_f]
Dell/Della
[name_f]Grier[/name_f]
[name_m]Adair[/name_m]