Thoughts on Laikyn/Laken?

We are still a year or two away from TTC, but my husband and I have begun discussing potential names. He has his heart set on Lakey for a girl. I also like the name, but am a bit concerned that it may be too “out there” and unprofessional sounding once she becomes an adult.

What are your thought of Lakey for a daughter? What kind of girl comes to mind when you think of this name?

I think it may be best to give her a more common first name, with Lakey remaining as a nickname. I’m considering [name_u]Lake[/name_u] or Laikyn/[name_u]Laken[/name_u] (unsure of which spelling).

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Honestly? I think Lakey and Laikyn/[name_u]Laken[/name_u] are silly, tacky, and instantly dated. [name_u]Laken[/name_u] resembles [name_u]Larkin[/name_u], and that’s about all it has going for it. I vastly prefer the unusual and intriguing nature name [name_u]Lake[/name_u].

Lakey is very cute.

I love [name_u]Lake[/name_u] and I prefer it to [name_u]Laken[/name_u] (that’s the spelling I’d use, I think Lakey would look actually look more professional than the Laikyn spelling.)

I imagine a girl who loves nature and is incredibly energetic, but has a steady, gentle look in her eyes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that Laikyn/[name_u]Laken[/name_u] is fairly unconventional, but I’m not a fan of the look or sound of [name_u]Larkin[/name_u]. I had never heard [name_u]Laken[/name_u] until looking for alternatives to [name_u]Lake[/name_u]/Lakey.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] sounds made up to me.

I would keep Lakey as a nickname and use either [name_u]Lake[/name_u] (actress [name_u]Lake[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] pulls it off) or [name_u]Laken[/name_u] (definitely this spelling) as a full name.

What about [name_u]Blake[/name_u]? Unisex names are very on-trend (and won’t hurt your Lakey in the professional world).

Lakey sounds flaky…[name_u]Laiken[/name_u] is trendy. [name_u]Lake[/name_u]…no. [name_u]Luca[/name_u]?

I actually like [name_u]Laken[/name_u] (this spelling). It’s sounds friendly to me, and I actually know a girl in real life named that, so I can picture it in reality. I don’t like Lakey however; I prefer [name_u]Lake[/name_u] as a nickname. I say go for it if you love it!

I like just [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. It’s sweet, naturey, and not hard to spell.

You could always go another route to get Lakey. Like finding a name that starts with the lay sound and then having a mn starting with a k. Like [name_f]Layla[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn Lakey.

Not at all a fan of [name_u]Lake[/name_u], [name_u]Laken[/name_u], [name_u]Laiken[/name_u], etc. In no way my style.

Agree with shannagrace, my preferred way to get to Lakey would be with a first and middle combo that can get you there without having to name your child [name_u]Laken[/name_u].

I really love [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. As someone pointed out, it’s short, sweet, preschool-friendly for those tough learning-to-spell years, but still fairly distinctive and elegant. [name_u]Laken[/name_u] or Lakyn or Lakey (forgot how you spelled it) honestly just sounds like you’re trying to force it. And I unfortunately have to agree that there’s something childish about it; it’s one of those names that doesn’t seem like it will ever be allowed to grow up. Why not just use [name_u]Lake[/name_u], particularly if there’s any chance you might end up defaulting to it anyway? If you absolutely had to or if your husband insists, you could always use Lakey as a pet name around the house and let her have the more elegant version on legal documents.

Honestly, I think Lakey and Laikyn/[name_u]Laken[/name_u] are really silly names (or NN’s) for a child. I like unusual and creative/modern/nature-y names, but I think they push it too far. [name_u]Lake[/name_u] is better. Lakey rhymes with nakey and sounds sort of annoying. Laikyn sounds like it’s trying to hard to be creative/unique, [name_u]Laken[/name_u] is a better spelling, but the “n” is still so try-hard to me. It seems like a mainstream, made-up name like Jordinn, Madiline, Avalai, etc.

Laikyn is ridiculous when you combine the pronunciation and spelling. That looks much less professional than lakey.
Any name that started with the lay sound can get the nn lakie if he wants to call her that. That’s the great thing about nns. If you need a “reason” though, first name with a lay, maybe a middle name with a k?
[name_f]Layla[/name_f] [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] or something.

Eta, I see someone already had the same idea with the first and middle name.

Lakey is a nn in my opinion, and not a good first name, it is unprofessional. Laikyn looks made up, I know a girl [name_u]Laken[/name_u], I do like the name.

In all honesty, I think Laikyn/[name_u]Laken[/name_u] is horrendous. It’s extremely tacky and overly trendy. It comes off as very uneducated and sounds like white trash to me. I cannot see it aging well at all. I think [name_u]Lake[/name_u] is a lot better! Very simple, cute, and nature-y. There is also [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] (which is a guilty pleasure of mine).

I agree, it sounds made up. I also grew up near a town called [name_m]Lakeland[/name_m], so that is what it reminds me of. [name_u]Laken[/name_u] also sounds like a boy name to me.

I do like [name_u]Lake[/name_u], but still think that is out there (this is coming from someone who is planning to use the name “[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]” if I have a daughter). Thinking about the [name_m]Lakeland[/name_m] reference, Lakelynn sounds lovely to me, but it is probably completely made up. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with making up a name though if you like it. And if she didn’t like “Lakey” as a nn she could try a different pronunciation and get “[name_m]Kellyn[/name_m]” (rhymes with [name_f]Helen[/name_f]).

I think the only name you can get away with there is [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. But I do think that is quite ‘out there’. But it could work.

Hello! I think you are smart to start considering names now – it can take awhile for a couple to agree.

I met a baby girl named [name_u]Laiken[/name_u] in the late 90s while I was in high school. The baby was a doll!

I think [name_u]Laiken[/name_u] is cute and lively. However, I am not sure it would age well. Can you imagine a lawyer or a doctor named [name_u]Laiken[/name_u]? Maybe.

I am sorry, but I am not a fan of Lakey. It might work as a nickname for a toddler, but I wouldn’t let it go beyond age 3.

What does your husband think of the name [name_u]Lanie[/name_u]? [name_u]Lanie[/name_u] sounds a lot like Lakie, but with more substance.

One of my all-time favorite students is a very hardworking young girl named [name_f]Lainie[/name_f] – another spelling variation of [name_u]Lanie[/name_u].

I would definitely run [name_u]Lanie[/name_u] by your husband. Here are some other possible options for you:

[name_f]Lana[/name_f]
[name_f]Larisa[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_u]Logan[/name_u] (I know two girls named [name_u]Logan[/name_u], and it works perfectly for both of them.)
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Lotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Lydie[/name_f]

One more option, although it is a bit 80s, would be [name_f]Lacey[/name_f].