Thoughts on my imaginary/future babies' names!

Hello!

I am a new member here who has loved Nameberry for a long time but never posted and not sure if what I’m about to do is ‘okay’ in terms of NB ettiquette so please forgive me if not…!

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I are starting to seriously think about starting a family in the next year or so and I am SO VERY EXCITED to start properly sorting through my iPhone note I have kept for about a million years, constantly updating my fave names. I’d love to know what you Nameberries think of my shortlist, and what you HONESTLY think (some of mine are a little unconventional!). No offense will be taken from any opinions, I welcome them all, I know there’ll be some people who don’t love these and that is AOK! I would also welcome any suggestions and alternatives…

Here goes! Generally all of the middle names below are family names, hence the seeming unconventional. We’d like to honour family tradition in that way

Girls:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy [/name_f] – ‘[name_f]Pepper [/name_f]’
[name_f]Wilhelmina [/name_f] [name_f]Courtney[/name_f] - ‘[name_f]Willa [/name_f]’
[name_f]Aurora [/name_f] [name_f]Delphine [/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie [/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]

Boys:

[name_m]Apollo [/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_m]Poe[/name_m]’ (but I would be worried about kids calling him ‘poo’!!!
[name_m]Everest [/name_m] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]
[name_m]Sullivan [/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_m]Sully[/name_m]’
[name_m]Darius [/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]

Please and thank you!

I am also a pretty new and just love looking at all of the different names. I’m not that into boys names, but I really like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]. [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] seems so sweet and I like the meaning of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] are perfect! :’) I adore [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] myself to be honest. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] has never appealed to me, but I like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and it does sound nice with [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - maybe just [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]? Or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]? [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is nice too, but I don’t quite understand [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] as a nn for it.

None of your boys names really stand out to me, but I do like [name_u]Everest[/name_u]. [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] might have the ‘poo’ problem, but I’d be more against the [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u] connection (not his biggest fan, haha).

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion, so don’t take anything too seriously :).
Girls:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] – This is absolutely stunning. I am not a huge fan of the nn [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], but it is still lovely. [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is my personal favourite.

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is gorgeous, but to me it sounds a bit off with [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] (but if you love it, go for it :)). As [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] is a family name though, I think it still works. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] would be stunning though, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]- This is gorgeous, though I slightly prefer [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I know you probably don’t want a nn for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Aura[/name_f] as a nn. Beautiful choice, very elegant, but still a lot of fun :).

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]- Sweet and spunky! I absolutely adore this, and these two names fit so beautifully together.

Boys:

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – If you are worried about the ‘poo’ thing (which could happen :(. I love [name_u]Poe[/name_u] too.), maybe [name_m]Polo[/name_m] or Ollo? [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] is really fun and nicely balanced. I love this one.

[name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]- NMS, but still a great name, and it fits together really nicely.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’- I adore [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! He is on my own list, and he is fun, jaunty and handsome. He sounds wonderful with [name_m]David[/name_m] too.

[name_m]Darius[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- NMS (probably because the only [name_m]Darius[/name_m] I’ve known has been a girl), but still a great name, and the two names sound great together.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion, so don’t take anything too seriously :).
Girls:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] – This is absolutely stunning. I am not a huge fan of the nn [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], but it is still lovely. [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is my personal favourite.

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is gorgeous, but to me it sounds a bit off with [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] (but if you love it, go for it :)). As [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] is a family name though, I think it still works. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] would be stunning though, [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] or [name_u]Freddie[/name_u].

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]- This is gorgeous, though I slightly prefer [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I know you probably don’t want a nn for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Aura[/name_f] as a nn. Beautiful choice, very elegant, but still a lot of fun :).

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]- Sweet and spunky! I absolutely adore this, and these two names fit so beautifully together.

Boys:

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – If you are worried about the ‘poo’ thing (which could happen :(. I love [name_u]Poe[/name_u] too.), maybe [name_m]Polo[/name_m] or Ollo? [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] is really fun and nicely balanced. I love this one.

[name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]- NMS, but still a great name, and it fits together really nicely.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’- I adore [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! He is on my own list, and he is fun, jaunty and handsome. He sounds wonderful with [name_m]David[/name_m] too.

[name_m]Darius[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- NMS (probably because the only [name_m]Darius[/name_m] I’ve known has been a girl), but still a great name, and the two names sound great together.

Girls:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] – ‘[name_u]Pepper[/name_u] ’
I like it, though pepper is a bit of a stretch.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - ‘[name_f]Willa[/name_f] ’
[name_u]Love[/name_u] love love. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is on my long list/slight gp… I think my family would butcher the pronunciation but it is a wonderful name.
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
Very pretty, I have a friend named [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. Sometimes I get nervous about saying it and tripping over the r’s
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]
Very cute, I prefer a longer name for [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] though.

Boys:

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Poe[/name_u]’ (but I would be worried about kids calling him ‘poo’!!!
A little far fetched/lot to live up to, but poe is cute.
[name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]
Very nice. Slightly prefer [name_u]Everett[/name_u] to everest.
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’
Yep, my favorite!! [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is too cute.
[name_m]Darius[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]
Handsome, a little strongly alliterative but it seems to work!

Girls:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] – ‘[name_u]Pepper[/name_u] ’ [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is somewhat unwieldy, but [name_f]Joy[/name_f] balances out that out and makes a very pretty combo. And by the way, no matter how hard you push, your probably going to be one of the only people to call her [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]-her nickname would be [name_u]Percy[/name_u].
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - ‘[name_f]Willa[/name_f] ’ [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is just as unwieldy as [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], even with all nn options, and the huge teasing potential of the "hell’’ sound in the middle, and putting [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] with it only makes it more awkward. A shorter middle would work. Or maybe use Courtney as a second middle?
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - Pretty. NMS, but pretty. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is getting more popular(in [name_u]America[/name_u]), though, so I’d switch it to make [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], which I think is much prettier.
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]- [name_m]Way[/name_m] to nickname-y. I would use [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] as a nickname for something.

Boys:

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Poe[/name_u]’ - If he can pronounce [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] correctly, then there probably wouldn’t be any teasing. [name_m]David[/name_m] balances out [name_m]Apollo[/name_m]'s unwieldiness.
[name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] - Nice. Definitely NMS, but I like it.
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] – ‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’- I like both, but it sounds confused and ugly to my ears. And [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is not appealing in the slightest.
[name_m]Darius[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - Okay. A little to alliterated, but it’s nice.

Thanks for your thoughts! I REALLY appreciate hearing how they suond to others… It’s so hard with names as you can find things in them that you like that no one else sees and I’d hate to give my child a terrible name just because I’ve found myself obsessed with one element of it but no one else sees that element (if that makes sense!).

I know the [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] thing is a bit of a stretch with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]… Hmm… I wonder what other names you could glean [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] from… I do love the name [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] in itself, though!

Thanks again for your thoughts!!! :slight_smile:

I’m so glad you love [name_u]Sully[/name_u] too… [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is such a handsome name I think! And I also love [name_u]Sully[/name_u] from Monsters Inc, that’s a pretty cool connection for a little boy to have [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

[name_f]Aura[/name_f] is a great nn for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] too… Hadn’t actually thought about that one but it’s really sweet. I love the name.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!

Thank you so much for your response!!! [name_u]Legend[/name_u].

[name_u]Pepper[/name_u] is a bit of a stretch isn’t it… I just love the nn and am not a huge fan of any alternative first names to derive the nn from… any suggestions?

Hmmm a good point re: the Rs in [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]… would be unfortunate if she had a speech impediment which I know a lot of kids do that made it hard to say her own name but I’m sure we could adapt a nickname from it to help!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you love [name_u]Sully[/name_u] too… Think I’ll have a hard time convincing the Mr. about that one but I love it SO very much.

Thanks for your thoughts!!! I do appreciate it!

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is a bit of a cumbersome name isn’t it. I suppose [name_u]Percy[/name_u] or [name_f]Effie[/name_f] would be more of an appropriate nn than [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] but I just think [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] is so cute. [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is great too though, hadn’t considered that one!

Similarly with [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] as the second middle name with [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. That’s a great idea actually. In terms of pronounciation of [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], the way that I pronounce it (possibly due to my Australian accent?) is more like [name_m]Wil[/name_m]-ul-mina, the H seems to be silent in Aussie accents. Hopefully would mean the ‘hell’ thing is avoided but a very good point that I hadn’t considered and will be doing so!!!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like [name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] too. TBH it’s not my style either but for some reason I am really drawn to it…!

Thanks again for your thoughts, greatly appreciated.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like them! [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is beautiful isn’t it. :slight_smile: