Thoughts on my new favorite MN?!?!?!

So my new favorite middle name for a boy is… R.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] one letter. It does have some significance to It though. [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] [name_m]Cash[/name_m] went by the full name of [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] R. [name_m]Cash[/name_m] while in the [name_f]Air[/name_f] Force:confused:. The R never really meant anything, it was simply an initial. I kind of find it mysterious and cool…
Your thoughts?

To be honest with you, I don’t like that. That will confuse him when he’s younger, and other people too. What would be wrong in giving him a middle name that starts with R and nicknaming your son ___ R.? Maybe something like [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] [name_u]Reid[/name_u] // [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] R. Or if you like the J name with it, [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] [name_u]Reid[/name_u], or [name_m]Jenson[/name_m] [name_u]Reid[/name_u] // [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] R. / [name_m]Jenson[/name_m] R.

I think it’s great! It also worked for [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] X (albeit in the surname spot, and for different reasons). Q would also make an interesting initial.

Meh, it seems kind of like you liked a letter but couldn’t think of a name that started with that letter. You can always give him an actual middle, and use the initial, as another poster said.

Especially since a lot of people choose to go by their middle name, it seems less like a creative choice and more like your taking away options the kid might want/like

That’s exactly how [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] got that name haha

I would think it using just an initial as a mn would be a wasted opportunity. The name nerd in me would be impelled to choose a really awesome middle name. Most Berries would NEVER pass up the chance to give a child a middle name. We just love names too much.

From personal experience, I can tell you that having an initial instead of a name is a bit of a hassle. While it is somewhat fun to get people to guess my middle name, it’s also annoying to have to always announce that “It’s not [name_f]Bea[/name_f], it’s B.”. I then get the question of whether or not there’s a period after it (there is), which I constantly forget and only just learned this year by looking at my birth certificate.

However, it’s quirky and fairly uncommon (to my knowledge), and overall I do like it. So I say, if you want your child’s middle name to just be a letter, go for it!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It was the same for [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Truman[/name_m]–his middle was S (not even a period!). It doesn’t come off as inventive or mysterious or cool–a lot of people sign their names [name_f]Elise[/name_f] R. [name_m]Thompson[/name_m] or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] Z. [name_m]Neumann[/name_m]; I think it’d just be frustrating to realize there’s no name there, so the mystery is immediately gone and it just seems like a huge let-down. Then again, my grandfather was just an L. B., and do you know how incredibly difficult it is to honor him?! (You’d think it’d be easy, but I don’t think there’s one combo I like with the initials LB (there’s [name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], but thanks to LOST, I can’t go near that with a ten-foot pole…) If you find it mysterious, give him an “R” middle and exclusively use [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] R. or whatever. But I don’t find it mysterious or cool at all, sorry. Then again, I don’t have any inclination toward initials when it comes to names, period. I’ve never been into the CJ/DJ/EJ/JJ/KJ/LJ/MJ/AJ/BJ/TJ/RJ sort of thing, and much as I’ve tried to, I can’t make myself use the initials nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]/E.V. from [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], because [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] itself is just too gorgeous!

I mean, it’s your prerogative, but I don’t find it cool or mysterious at all, and I’m surely glad my parents didn’t do that to me. :slight_smile:

If you like the idea you could just spell out a letter so that it’s an actual name, that he/she doesn’t just have to write out a letter.

[name_u]Jay[/name_u] is a perfect example.