Thoughts on name Hazel - too trendy?

We are expecting our first child- a baby girl in March 2022! We are over the moon (and while still a bit early in our search) we both love the name Hazel. We are slightly concerned, as people who both grew up with super common 90’s names, that Hazel is too trendy. We don’t want her to be one of 3 in her class like we were!! On the social security website for our state (southeastern US) Hazel was #55 in 2018, #21 in 2019, and #17 in 2020. I guess I see it as a more classic name than others that rank top 10. Do you all think we should keep looking? Are common names in today’s day and age really as common as they were when we were in school?? Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. what would you see as a good middle name? We like 3-4 syllable middles, as first and last names would both be 2 syllables. First and last name also contain a “z” sound, so would prefer to stay away from that sound in the middle. So far we both like:
Juliet, Valerie, Aurelia, and Genevieve in the middle spot. If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! Lol.

1 Like

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is so lovely! i know of one [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] (in her teens), but recently i have been seeing it around more, especially on nameberry. however, i don’t think it’s going to necessarily skyrocket over the next year - i doubt a [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] born in 2022 will find other Hazel’s in her class (although, you never know!).

all your middle ideas pair well with [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]! here are some more ideas:
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Irina[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

other first name ideas

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] / [name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Jade[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

keep looking if you’re worried about Hazel’s impending popularity, just to be on the safe side; but at the end of the day, if you find that you really love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], then definitely go for it.

1 Like

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is lovely! It strikes me as more vintage than trendy:)

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are lovely!!

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]

Congratulations! We’re also due [name_u]March[/name_u] 2022 :grinning: It’s definitely been hard trying to find the perfect baby name.

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a beautiful name. It fits every age and feels so sweet. It definitely is popular though. I’d say there’s a good chance that she would have at least one other [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] in her class at some point. If you look at the Social Security website you can see that the percentage of babies being given a certain name are far less than years ago. For example, in 1990 the #1 boy’s name was [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. 3.03% of the babies born in 1990 were named [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. However, in 2020 the top name was [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and only 1.07% of the babies born in 2020 had that name. So the names are more spread out even if they are popular. To answer your question are common names in today’s day and age really as common as they were when we were in school, no. It’s more spread out and varied. However, there are definitely still more popular names than others. If popularity is a huge concern to you I’d pick a name further down on the charts. If you really love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and will still love it even if there are other Hazel’s her age then go for it! It’s a great name.

Out of your middle names I like [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] a lot! Those are both beautiful.
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

Congratulations :two_hearts:

Personally I know two Hazels one is in her forties and the other is around 8 years old therefore with this in mind I think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is definitely a classic so wouldn’t date. Regarding popularity statistics I wouldn’t say your [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] would share her name with multiple people in her class. Popular names really aren’t that popular due to the wide variety of names used nowadays so do not worry. [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a fabulous choice!

I really love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] & [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] I absolutely adore [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] so stunning. I just think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] feels so warm and elegant.

You’ve had a few suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Viviana[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Roxana[/name_f]

Congratulations!!!

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest is a [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]. It’s the sweetest name and I still love it. I didn’t love how popular it was 4 years ago, but she was named after my husbands grandmother. I’m still very happy we chose it to honor her , but I know of 4 other Hazels. None in my immediate circle or even in our neighborhood, more like Facebook friends.

It’s definitely something to think about, but if you love it go for it. There is a reason why it is popular - because it’s a wonderful name :relaxed:

Throwing my hat in for [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], or [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].

Hazel’s definitely not uncommon, but I agree that it’s for a good reason! [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a wonderful name, and I agree with you that it’s definitely quite classic and ages well.
You never know whether she’ll have another [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] in her class (I have a fairly uncommon name and still have two others with the same name in my year, for example), but in my experience, knowing someone with the same name as you often strengthens your friendship with them :relaxed: So in conclusion, if Hazel’s your absolute favourite, I say go for it! You loving the name is what matters most – but of course popularity is something to think about, especially as you have the experience.
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are wonderful! You may also like: [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], or [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] :slight_smile:

First of all, congratulations! :yellow_heart: Second of all, I think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is absolutely lovely.

Now on to the popularity/trendiness question. It sounds like [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a bit more popular in your state than in the country overall, and that it’s been on the rise (although its ascent has slowed). I think your [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] would probably encounter others who share her name, but statistically it’s very unlikely that she’d ever be one of three in a class. As you pointed out, common names now really aren’t as common as the common names were a few decades ago!

As far as trendiness goes, I think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is “on trend” in the sense of fitting in with the current popularity of vintage revival names and nature names. And I guess it’s also trendy in the sense that its popularity has fluctuated significantly over time (as opposed to timeless names that maintain a relatively stable level of popularity). But I still don’t necessarily think of it as being trendy when I’m not analyzing it this way, because it has so much history.

Overall, I think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a beautiful choice–cozy, strong, and full of vintage charm–and I’d encourage you to use it in spite of the popularity! Names like this are popular for good reason :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: From your list of middle name options, I really like the idea of [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]!

I love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]! Popularity is always a stumbling block for me. I love names like [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_u]Harper[/name_u], but they are really popular. I would say if it’s the name you really really love and keep coming back to, then do it. She will probably know another [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], but I think it’s more important that you don’t settle just so she is unique.

I love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]! Especially [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. I don’t really consider the name [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] to be trendy but there’s always a chance that she will be one of a couple in her class - after all, I ended up on the same soccer team with someone who shares my pretty uncommon name. I don’t say this to throw you off the name, I think it’s absolutely beautiful and a great choice, I just wanted to be honest. Good luck!

I can understand wanting to choose a name that isn’t too common - my name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] & I was born in 1994.

I think it’s helpful to compare the current popularity of a name to it’s equivalent names from your birth year. I do this using the percent total births data from the social security database. I think the percent total births gives a more realistic view than the ratings, because there really aren’t common names nowadays in nearly the same way as in our generation.

For example, I’m guessing your name is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] (based on your username). In 1990 & 1991, over 2% of female babies were named [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. Also notable is that the top 9 girl names in 1990 & 1991 were all given to at least 1% of female babies.
Compare that to more recent years - the highest % female births in the past 10 years was [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] in 2011 with 1.15%. Since 2015, the only names to even reach 1% of female births are [name_f]Emma[/name_f] & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

In 2020, the name [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] was given to 0.3116% of female babies. I looked through the lists for the 1990s, and these are the names for each year that had the closest popularity, based on percent of births. (When there were duplicates, I included the next closest name in parentheses).

1990: [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
1991: [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]
1992: [name_f]Kristen[/name_f]
1993: [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
1994: [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] (Marissa)
1995: [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
1996: [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
1997: [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] (Erin)
1998: [name_f]Sara[/name_f]
1999: [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] (Gabrielle, Mary)

[name_f]Do[/name_f] remember these rankings are separated by spelling - more popular spellings of [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] or [name_f]Sara[/name_f] would be ranked higher.

These names were about as popular when you were in school as [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] would be for your daughter today. Of course it’s not exact, but it’s about the best estimate you could get.

Personally, I don’t think I would’ve considered any of these to be popular names when I was in school (with these exact spellings). From elementary - high school, I think I only knew 1-2 kids with each of these names. Maybe a few more for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I don’t think I knew a single [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], or [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f].

I don’t think that [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is too popular. It’s a beautiful name, and if that’s the name you love, you should use it! Maybe you could give her a short middle that could be used as a double name instead of using a last initial (if she ever has another [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] in her class).

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

Hazel is a beautiful name! If you’re worried about the popularity… I know 0 Hazels, and even if you knew twenty, I wouldn’t let that stop you. It’s popular for a reason, because it’s a gorgeous name!

For middle names-

Hazel Alexandra
Hazel Delilah
Hazel Jasmine
Hazel Juniper
Hazel Bryony
Hazel Rhiannon

Hope this helps!

I love the name [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and I think you’ve gotten great feedback about how common “common” names are now versus when we were growing up. That said, two of my friends have little Hazels, my hairdresser has a daughter named [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and I’ve heard it on the playground a couple times. I doubt your daughter would be one of three in a class, but if your city is anything like mine, she will know other little girls named [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]. Maybe that might make it feel less special to you? I know I planned to name my daughter [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and when a friend chose that name, it took some of the shine off. On the other hand, my niece is named [name_f]Emma[/name_f] which was the #1 most popular name the year she was born and it hasn’t slowed her down! :slight_smile: