Thoughts on Odalie?

I’ve come upon Odalie (oh-dah-lee/aw-dah-lee) recently, and I’m really loving it. The meaning I’m enjoying too, being ‘fatherland; heritage’ / ‘wealth; fortune’ (Germanic elements odal, & aud), which kind of gives me a ‘appreciating & celebrating my past while looking toward my future’ kind of feel which I’m loving. There are many variants of the name, but I’m loving this one the most at the moment (though I do enjoy [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], too).

What are your thoughts on Odalie? *Also, how do you pronounce it?

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] to look at, as I instantly know how to say it. Odalie had me guessing for a moment, and the pronunciation you confirmed is not how I would have said it. There is just something about this combination of letters that does not look as appealing to me as [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]… sorry. It does have a good meaning though, I agree, and I like the medieval style vibe that it has.

Thanks for the review! :heart:

Although I’ve only heard it said with a long ‘O’ sound, I think it does make more sense as aw-dah-LEE (which is more in line with how I myself say it), due to the element aud - aw-dah-lee? [name_m]How[/name_m] did you initially want to pronounce it? Would this make a little more sense, perhaps?

I say it as aw-dah-lee. I really like the meaning it has to you, but I’m just not a huge fan of the sound.

My initial reaction would be to say “O-dah-lee” and put the emphasis at the beginning.
Pronouncing it “aw-dah-lee” makes me think of “orderly”…

Because of it’s similar appearances to [name_f]Odile[/name_f] read it as a long o.

I like it a lot! There a great deal of spirit and cheer to it. For some reason the “oo-de-lally” song from Disney’s animated [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood, which judt adds to that festive vibe.

2 Likes

Yeah, see, the long ‘O’ is what I meant when I put oh-dah-lee (and yes, I did initially misprint the emphasis on first rather than last syllable, very sorry to confuse). I first heard Odalie (in a more mainstream/American sense), on ‘Step Up: HighWater’, in which it is pronounced this way (‘O’-dah-lee), so that pronunciation seems to be what has stuck with me (though I keep thinking the aw sound might make more sense etymologically? Yes, the aw, does make it sound like ‘orderly’ which really isn’t so pleasant.

My first thought was to pronounce it with a long ‘O’ at the end and the emphasis on the first syllable-- OH-da-lee. It’s not my favorite name, but it could maybe grow on me if I met a little Odalie somewhere. It does sound a little better with the emphasis on the last syllable than the first. I don’t think I would go for the “aw” sound over the long O, personally. When I say it out loud with the “aw” sound at the beginning, I have a hard time not hearing “oddly.” And I’m very rarely the person that hears/sees bad or unpleasant words in a name or initials. But, that could be because of my American accent, too. I’m not sure. lol

This was my first thought too! I’d say it OH-da-lee, with a long “O” sound at the beginning. I prefer [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f].

1 Like

Oh-dah-lie. It’s kinda pretty - one of those that grows on you! I think it could work!! I love [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] as well but it’s so similar sounding to [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] to me which is one of my favorite names!! I also love [name_f]Odette[/name_f] or [name_f]Odetta[/name_f]. I think those have the same meaning as Odalie? [name_f]Odette[/name_f] means wealth which I do find a little funny because I hear “owe debt” which is the opposite meaning altogether!! But I still find it very pretty. I like Od- names. I had [name_m]Odin[/name_m] on my list for a boy but was told it sounded like a dogs name so that was a bummer!

I think if Odalie has significant meaning and roots you should go for it. I like that it is different!

I love O names! And I would pronounce it oh-dah-lee

I prefer Odalie over [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] :blush:

I love this name! I prefer the [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] spelling, it feels lighter and more feminine. I pronounce is it oh tah [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Odalie, I want to pronounce oh duh [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I love 3 syllable girls names and this one it delicate but Spunky with lots of NN options.

I was intrigued by the name and looked it up on baby names pedia for pronunciation and for US [name_f]English[/name_f], it said Aught oh [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Aught like caught. Interesting. I know you can pronounce it however you wish, but that’s another way I wouldn’t have necessarily thought of. .