Thoughts on Peninnah?

I came across [name_f]Peninnah[/name_f] in the Bible a while a go and it has grown on me. Would this name work today? I worry that it is too far out there and might trip people up with the pronunciation. Also, what are some potential nn?

it works but that spelling looks really unnatural, I prefer [name_f]Penina[/name_f], I’d use [name_u]Penny[/name_u] or [name_f]Nina[/name_f] as a nn

2 Likes

I think it would work. That spelling is really confusing though imo. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Penina[/name_f].

1 Like

I 100% agree with the PP.

Absolutely, and spell it [name_f]Penina[/name_f].

1 Like

I actually prefer it with the way you spelled it–the h at the end. I think the name works, especially if it’s meaningful to you. Nickname: [name_u]Penny[/name_u] or [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

Personally, really don’t love it. I agree with other posters to spell it [name_f]Penina[/name_f] if you use it, I think this makes it a lot more digestible.

I do like the look of [name_f]Penina[/name_f] better bit [name_f]Peninnah[/name_f] is intriguing! I like the sound and potential nn of [name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and [name_f]Nia[/name_f]

It reminds me of panini.

3 Likes

Peninnah looks like it could have some pronunciation issues - I at first thought it might be Pe-nin-nah until I started reading comments. If it were me, I would probably want to avoid that and use the [name_f]Penina[/name_f] spelling that has been suggested. Although it’s not my style, I think it’s usable and the nicknames [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and [name_u]Penny[/name_u] make it even more usable. It does remind me of the wedding dress designer [name_f]Pnina[/name_f] Tornai.

1 Like

I’ve only ever seen it as [name_f]Peninah[/name_f], it’s cool to see their are variations, and I think it’s a really pretty way to get a long form for [name_u]Penny[/name_u] as an alternative to [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It also gives [name_f]Nina[/name_f]/Ninah as a nickname, although the full thing would be very nice to go by too.

I actually like the [name_f]Peninah[/name_f]/Penninah spelling! I think it’s useable. As someone who immediately recognized it as a Biblical name the namesake is not exactly an admirable figure but if that doesn’t bother you go for it!