Thoughts on Rex and possible longer forms?

Currently TTC and having a heck of a time thinking of boys names. We both think the name [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is pretty cool but would prefer if it were a nick name to a longer, more formal name. For example, actor [name_u]Rex[/name_u] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]'s full name was [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]. Hubby likes [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] but I don’t love it.

So my two questions are…

1. What is your opinion on the name [name_u]Rex[/name_u]
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions for a longer form of it

Thanks for your help!!!

I really like [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. I’ve always heard it as a nickname for [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] but it’s not as… accessible as [name_u]Rex[/name_u] I suppose.

Other ideas:
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Drexel[/name_m]
[name_m]Redford[/name_m]

Some with the similar meanings to [name_u]Rex[/name_u] ([name_m]King[/name_m]):
[name_u]Regan[/name_u] (little king)
[name_m]Leroy[/name_m] (little king)
[name_m]Fitzroy[/name_m] (son of the king)
any other roy name
[name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] ([name_m]King[/name_m]'s meadow)
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] (red king)
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u] (little king)

Re- names:
[name_u]Remington[/name_u]

More r names that could work:
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m]

Wow! Thanks for the long list of fantastic ideas :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like [name_m]Redford[/name_m].

[name_u]Reynold[/name_u]
I do think that [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] is a handsome name and [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is a great nn

I’m happy to hear that two people like [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]/[name_u]Rex[/name_u]! Never thought of [name_u]Reynold[/name_u], the like the name, but the last syllable of our last name is pronounced bold so it may be a bit too matchy?

I really like [name_u]Rex[/name_u], but it always tends to remind me of a pet name rather than a baby name, so I really like you notion of using it as a nickname and not his registered name.

I am not a fan [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] personally, but it does work for what you want. Some one mentioned [name_u]Remington[/name_u] and [name_m]Redford[/name_m] - they are probably my favourites.

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Rex[/name_u], but as a standalone name. I don’t like any of the longer forms mentioned. I think it’s magnificent as it is!

[name_f]Adore[/name_f] [name_u]Rex[/name_u]! It is my Granddad’s name and it is going to be my little boy’s middle. Still haven’t decided on a first.

My Granddad is an incredibly strong, stately, kind and honourable man and I’ve always thought that this very regal sounding name suited him perfectly.

A possible longer form could be Rexus, it could be translated as a name variation of the latin word rex (king)

[name_m]Redford[/name_m], Remmington and Rexus… All great ideas!

Crlohnes23 thanks for sharing aboit your grandad :slight_smile:

I love love [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Rex[/name_u]! I’d totally use it in a heartbeat if DH would get on board. My great-grandfather was a [name_u]Rex[/name_u], another one who’s first name was [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] is striking and romantically handsome, like the male lead in an Old Hollywood movie. I understand that it’s not for everyone, though. Honestly, I think [name_u]Rex[/name_u] could be a stand alone name if you don’t like [name_m]Reginald[/name_m].

I never thought of [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] as a romantic name. I always think of [name_u]Reggie[/name_u] from the [name_m]Archie[/name_m] comics, but thinking of it like this makes it much more appealing. I have to admit, it is growing on me after seeing all this positive feedback.