Thoughts on rhyming names?

I always knew I would take my husbands last name, since I found my maiden name ([name]Smith[/name]) quite boring. I did not expect, however, to end up with a last name that rhymed with my first name. I am now [name]Brandi[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]. It took me some getting used to, but we haven’t even been married a year yet and it already feels more comfortable.
But what do you think about giving your children rhyming names? Not purposefully making them rhyme, but there are just so many names I love with the EE sound at the end.
All opinions would be great!

When I saw the title of your post, I thought oh, no she wants to name her twins [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Zack[/name] (or something)! That would obviously not be a good idea, but having a first and last name that end in -ee sound isn’t really the same imo. I would definitely avoid a first name that ends in -ly like [name]Kelly[/name] does - so [name]Molly[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] and similar might not be good. But I don’t think that every name ending in -ee sound is automatically ruled out. I think avoiding a 2 syllable first makes it sound less sing-songy and puts the emphasis on a different sound in the first name rather than the end sound. [name]Abby[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] sounds more similar than [name]Bethany[/name] [name]Kelly[/name], I think. I would avoid k sounds lest the name sound childish or sing-songy - like [name]Connie[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] might. Here are some that I think could work with [name]Kelly[/name]:

[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Stephanie[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]

I don’t like rhyming names, but a same simple ending like two “ee” sounds isn’t too bad to me. I would definitely avoid names that have the “lee” ending to them, though.

So, your name [name]Brandi[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] is fine to me. However, you should probably avoid names like [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]… But to answer your question: No, I don’t think you have to count all “ee” ending names out.

I completely agree with the previous two posters, and also wanted to add that sometimes names ending with an ee sound can actually be shorter forms (or nicknames) of longer formal names. An example would be the previous poster’s suggestion of [name]Lily[/name]. While I agree that [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] does not sound good, [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] sounds wonderful. So, if [name]Lily[/name] were on your list, there would still be a way to get to use the name you love while having a full formal name that flows well. Obviously if the child is widely known as [name]Lily[/name] rather than [name]Lillian[/name], the [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] issue could still arise, but I think in most instances, occasions that call for the use of a last name call for use of the full first name as well.

[name]Brandi[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] is not bad at all! (I know someone with the FN [name]Kelly[/name], and her married LN is [name]Green[/name]!)
Anyway, I don’t think giving your children rhyming names is a bad thing…it depends on the style of the names. For example, [name]Emily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] might sound funny, because of all the vowels and the multiple “l’s”.

[name]Kelly[/name] is one of my favorite last names, I think it makes most first names sound better. It’s simple and normal, so while I wouldn’t pick it, something like [name]Emily[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] probably wouldn’t even make me think twice. It’s not like [name]Julie[/name] Gulia, ya know? I would definitely not use [name]Melissa[/name], though… [name]Meli[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] is bad.

Thank you all for the comments :slight_smile: I feel much more comfortable with the idea of a rhyming name, and glad to have some opinions about what type of EE endings work and which don’t. You guys are awesome!