Thoughts on Sam Ander?

Husband and I both like the name, but I want to make sure there’s not anything I’m overlooking??

Sam [name_m]Ander[/name_m] is an amazing name. I love it! The only possible problem I can think about is that it is a bit close to Salamander but I don’t think that’s a big issue.

4 Likes

OH NO Salamander… do you think he’d get teased by other kids? Not that most other kids would ever hear both his first and middle names together i guess… I’m just worried about saddling a kid with a name thats too easily teasable.

The first thing I saw was Salamander as well.

You might try Samuel [name_m]Ander[/name_m] nn Sam. As far as I know, most people, when saying their child’s full name, say FN MN, not NN MN. This may prevent the Salamander reference.

2 Likes

I can’t deny there is teasing potential when other kids hear his middle name… But not often others will hear his full name. It would be a pity though, to be ashamed to say his full name. I like the suggestion of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ander[/name_m]. He could just be called [name_u]Sam[/name_u] and when he says his full name it doesn’t sound like salamander

1 Like

I would also use [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]. I see “[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]” when I see [name_u]Sam[/name_u] [name_m]Ander[/name_m].

1 Like

I also thought of salamander immediately. I don’t think it’s a huge issue but I’d say, if you like it, that Samuel Ander would be a better option.

2 Likes

Gotta say my first thought was the bank Santander and the second was salamander

1 Like

The flow feels a bit off to me, sorry.

Samson [name_m]Ander[/name_m]? [name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_m]Anders[/name_m]?

3 Likes

I would definitely prefer [name_u]Sam[/name_u] as a nn for [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]. Other than that, great combo!

1 Like

Total first impressions: lovely names, feels a bit choppy, salamander.

But I 100% agree with the above notes on [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ander[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] style is always to go with a longer name and pull a nickname from it.

2 Likes

I love the suggestion of [name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_m]Anders[/name_m]! [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ander[/name_m] actually sounds about as close to salamander to my ear as [name_u]Sam[/name_u] [name_m]Ander[/name_m], but it seems like I’m in the minority on that. I think there are worse things a name could sound like, but I would personally air on the side of caution and give him a formal name to eliminate the issue!

2 Likes

I personally prefer [name_u]Sam[/name_u] as a standalone name, but if you’re concerned about the salamander connection, I like the suggestions of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m]! I’ve also seen [name_m]Samwell[/name_m] used, though it’s a bit more ‘out there’ for some peoples tastes!

I do have to say, I did not think of salamander until I read other comments, because I think the slight pause in between [name_u]Sam[/name_u] and [name_m]Ander[/name_m] was enough.
I’m not sure kids would find the salamander thing very tease worthy, I think Salamander could become a cute/cool nickname, if anything. I also personally think there could be worse things for a name to sound like! If you love [name_u]Sam[/name_u], I think it’s perfectly usable.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, it seems like there’s a pretty overwhelming consensus! I actually loved the suggestions of [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_m]Samwell[/name_m]; I will have to bring that up with the husband!

4 Likes

I agree with [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ander[/name_m]

1 Like

Samuel [name_m]Ander[/name_m] actually makes the salamander connection more obvious to me!

1 Like

Sam [name_m]Ander[/name_m] is so cute! The salamander thing wouldn’t hold me back - it’s actually a cute nickname!

1 Like

All I can see is salamander, sorry.

1 Like

I also saw [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] with [name_u]Sam[/name_u] [name_m]Ander[/name_m]. could you go [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Anderson[/name_u].

If it’s any consolation I actuslly didn’t see Salamander right away…

My thoughts in order:

1. Nice name
  2. Kinda sounds like a type of beer
  3. Kinda sounds like the bank Santander
  4. I guess I can see where everyone is getting salamander from!

I do like all the suggestions you’ve been getting though!

2 Likes