Thoughts on Sian?

Recently heard someone called [name_f]Sian[/name_f] on TV.
Pronounced “[name_u]Shahn[/name_u]”
Its stuck with me as it fits the known but not common category perfectly. I enjoy short names, I have no bad associations and I quite like the sound. But I cant decide whether I add her to my long list or not

Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like it! I knew a girl named [name_f]Sian[/name_f] back in primary school, and she was super popular. No bad associations for me either, it’s somewhere on my long list too.

[name_f]Sian[/name_f] [name_m]Clifford[/name_m] is a brilliant actress from the TV show “Fleabag”, so I have very positve associations with the name. For me, it’s a good balance of unusual but not too weird, and it’s overall a pretty name. I think pronunciation might be a bit of an issue - I can imagine people who haven’t heard it before pronounce it like “see-ann”.

[name_f]Sian[/name_f] is a fairly common Welsh name in the UK, though it’s somewhat dated to the 70s/80s/90s era. I do think it’s a nice name though.

I know a woman with this name, but it’s just spelled [name_u]Shawn[/name_u] I believe. I like this spelling much more. It’s more feminine with this spelling.

I love [name_f]Sian[/name_f]! It’s pretty and strong

[name_f]Sian[/name_f] is a very pretty name! Depending where you live, there might be some pronunciation issues though.

I think [name_f]Sian[/name_f] is really pretty, in a short and sleek way. I would hesitate to use it for a baby, since I think it would be easily confused for [name_u]Shawn[/name_u]/[name_m]Sean[/name_m] when said out loud

I think you might be confusing the name with the classics [name_m]Sean[/name_m] & [name_u]Shaun[/name_u] & [name_u]Shawn[/name_u], theyre all pronounced more like shorn where as [name_f]Sian[/name_f] is Sh-aaa-n

1 Like

[name_u]Shawn[/name_u] is pronounced Sh-aaa-n as well where I live. I’m sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Exciting, just when I thought I had considered every name.
Good to know it is a little dated in the UK.
I do pronounce [name_f]Sian[/name_f] and [name_u]Shawn[/name_u] differently - pronunciation can be so hard to explain online!

Are there any names you consider similar to [name_f]Sian[/name_f]?

This is my sister’s name. We pronounce it She-arn, rather than Sharn, as the other pronunciation was the name of a girl who was murdered here in the 1980s. Myself and my siblings all have four letter Gaelic names, and [name_f]Sian[/name_f] was the last child in the family, so my parents had to find something that worked. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister really suits her name, though the various mispronunciations annoy her and she has been known to give her name as [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] when ordering food!

I love this name and worked with a girl called Lasian ([name_f]Sian[/name_f]) for a number of years.

Not a name I’d seen before until I met her so pronunciation was going to be a challenge but it was pronounced [name_u]Shan[/name_u]

I love the name [name_f]Sian[/name_f], it’s long been a favourite of mine!

Traditionally the name is spelt Siân rather than [name_f]Sian[/name_f]. I went to school with a Siân and have a few in the extended family all welsh- and we pronounce it Sh-R-n.

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f], [name_f]Carys[/name_f] and [name_f]Myfanwy[/name_f] (pronounced mu-van-way) are other welsh names with a similar feel.

I know of a couple of Sians, both of them spell it the traditional way (Siân). One is mid 40s and one is 20. I think it’s lovely, and easy to wear at any age. I would expect some pronunciation issues from time to time (as you would with a lot of traditional Welsh names), but if that doesn’t bother you, go for it!