Thoughts on Sybil? Dated or fresh?

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] is better than [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]?

Oddly enough, Iā€™ve been thinking about adding [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] to my list recently, since Iā€™ve become super obsessed with Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] haha ([name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] made me smile :)). So I may be biased, but I think itā€™s definitely time [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] had a revival, especially as, where I live anyway, vintage names ([name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]) are pretty popular. Plus thereā€™s the most adorable nn Sybbie, which is hard to resist, even though I usually donā€™t like using nns. I feel like itā€™s had enough time to seem fresh and vintage, rather than dated, but as I said, Iā€™m super biased :p.

I absolutely love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] nn Sybbie because of Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]. I think itā€™s gorgeous!! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments. :slight_smile:

Haha I havent never watched Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] so I dont know the connection.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I think it is a name everyone knows of but that is not common. I think it is chic and funky at the same time and ready for a comeback.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I think it is a name everyone knows of but that is not common. I think it is chic and funky at the same time and ready for a comeback.

I think it is great - and with the popularity of downton abbey, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you begin to hear it more often.

Honestly, I though [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] was a boys nameā€¦

I do think itā€™s useable though. However, I tend to like dusty old vintage names that a lot of people think are not ready for a comeback. I guess it depends on how brave you are. Can you withstand people telling you itā€™s an old lady name or will it eventually get to you?

I prefer [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], simply because I find [name_f]Mary[/name_f] a little boring to be honest. Iā€™m not too sure about the flow of either name as well. I think Iā€™d be tempted to use a middle name that was slightly more on trend/modern (nothing majorly, please, Iā€™m not suggestion something like [name_u]Riley[/name_u] haha) to balance out [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. Like even something just a bit more common like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

Some other suggestions that I really like and are similar are [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Mavis[/name_f].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and the previous suggestion of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. I, too, would use the Sybbie nn over [name_u]Billie[/name_u]. I find [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] light, feminine but with a serious undertone.

It only makes me think of [name_f]Prunella[/name_f] Scalesā€™ character in Fawlty [name_m]Towers[/name_m]!! I can only think of [name_m]Basil[/name_m] shouting Sybiiil! Maybe that would only affect Brits though? So yes, very 70ā€™s :slight_smile:

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] feels slightly dated. I prefer [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], no nicknames. I prefer [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] reminds me also of the person with multi-personality disorder. I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] would be a great alternative.

I thought nicknames were often used to shorten the number of syllables in the formal name. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and Sybbie have the same number of syllables, so you could just use the nickname as the name.

I think [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] is even lovelier!

I love the name! Iā€™m also a Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] fan, so thatā€™s my connection to it. It was #1 on my baby list, but sadly my husband could not get on board. Heā€™s a little older than me and could only think of the personality-disorder movie - which I had never even heard of before. I think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is beautiful.

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]! Beautiful name.

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be so beautiful.

Good luck xx

I think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] has what it takes and actually is more usable than names like [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] because its sound is intrinsically prettier. In the last year or so Iā€™ve been aware of it bobbing about on the edges of my lists saying ā€œlike me!ā€ but itā€™s not made it onto a list yet - perhaps too close to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] for me, the name of a friendā€™s daughter. I recommend reading the part of the book From Beasts to Blondes by [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_m]Warner[/name_m] about female mythological characters on the [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I think if you like the name it will make you like it more.

For me itā€™s neither, really. I can imagine a child called [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], just not a modern jeans and sneaker wearing child but one in vintage dresses, knee socks and mary-janes. If the former were called [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], I think I would find the name to sound rather dated and while it wouldnā€™t sound fresh on the ā€œnon-modern-but-living-in-this-centuryā€ child, it would sound more fitting.

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. To me itā€™s very fresh, but I know to a lot of people- my husband included- itā€™s dated. Iā€™d love to use it as a first name, and would probably use the nickname Sybbie at times.

I really think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is dated. Really dated. Maybe [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], nn [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]?
If you really want to use it, then [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] flows better.

I like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], but I would not use a nickname, except maybe [name_f]Sib[/name_f] every now and then. I donā€™t think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] is dated, but I do agree with another poster that if you want it to sound fresh, you really should not pair it with [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Choosing a middle or first that is fresher than either of those names will brighten up [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] too, but itā€™s too close to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] for me.